Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

21stamps

And that's partially why you and I started arguing yesterday to begin with. I'm of the opinion that going against the CDC recommendations is foolish. Those tournaments, rankings, etc. aren't going to happen if half of the country is sick. You may disagree - and that's fine.

I think the best course of action is exactly what that specific body is doing right now.. work off of a 2 week time frame..allow for regional decisions.

I don’t know how anyone could disagree. They are being as pragmatic as possible. We don’t know what will happen by April 1st. No harm in waiting to make a decision to extend closures.

Bartattack

For those who are interesetd, this is what the current 'lockdown' in Belgium includes:

-People can still go to work if it's a necessity. You have to work from home if you can. you have to keep a distance of 1,5m from other people.
- no groups of people are allowed outside.
-Non essential shops,bars and restaurants are closed... except supermarkets, pharmacies, night shops (have to close at 22pm)
-bank and post office are still operational but on certain days and with strict rules. (appointments)
-supermarkets only let in a certain amount of people (one for each household) at a time. you have to keep distance and you get half an hour to shop.
-farmers, dentists, builders, fysiotherapist etc... can keep working as long as it's possible for them to respect the hygiene and social distancing rules.
-All sporting events are cancelled. (soccer, cycling, etc...)
-you only can be outside if you can prove you need to be.
- transportaion of items to supermarkets are guaranteed. there is no shortage of items.
-no schools... but there is guaranteed day care for children of people who work in hospitals etc...
-funerals can be held but only with a small intimate number of people.
-public transport will continue but they take measures to make sure people can sit a certain distance from eachother
-non essential travel to other countries is prohibited.
-visitors to hospitals are limited to parents of sick children or relatives from critical patients.
-delivery, take-out, online shopping etc... can still deliver food/items but they have to keep in mind the social distancing rules.
- you can have critical things fixed. example: car broke down... but it has to be essential things.
-children from the neighbourhood cannot play together outside.
- you can go outside to exercise...but alone.
-TV shows are all taped without audiences.

- people who have become technically unemployed will get one month of free power/water/gas.
-other compensations for temporary unemployed people and business are being determined. (payments of taxes etc. have been postponed for businesses)
-

LittleBuford

You aren’t acknowledging the conversation being had.

Contrary to what you're suggesting, the conversation being led by @RobWDW1971 isn't about how we might interpret or implement the current guidelines, but rather about approaches that the US government and others have effectively ruled out (e.g., isolating only the vulnerable, letting the virus play out, etc.). It might be an interesting conversation to some, but it's entirely philosophical at this point.

21stamps

Contrary to what you're suggesting, the conversation being led by @RobWDW1971 isn't about how we might interpret or implement the current guidelines, but rather about approaches that the US government and others have effectively ruled out (e.g., isolating only the vulnerable, letting the virus play out, etc.). It might be an interesting conversation to some, but it's entirely philosophical at this point.

His posts have been about to what degree we shut down.. how many lives are harmed/ruined to save an unknown number.

Unless I’m wrong, and he’s been saying something completely different. 🤣

Bartattack

Thank you for posting.. but I have a question about this section. How on earth could a dentist practice social distancing rules?

They can't, but they only do emergency procedures on appointment.

At one point hairdressers were also allowed to have one customer at a time... but since they can't guarantee the social distancing rule, all of them decided to close their shops anyway.

Quinnmac000

An N95 yes. Of course the droplets can still get into your eyes if you aren't wearing sealed goggles.

The surgical masks that the people in Asia wear for these outbreaks do very little to protect you.

Just as a clarification,
a good majority of people aren't wearing surgical masks. They are wearing KF94 masks and K99 masks which are used to block out fine dust particles. The Korean government has made them easily and readily available by ordering companies to make them. The average korean will have 2-3 kf94 masks which they will rotate using for multiple days as long as it doesn't get destroyed.

Korean-Convenience-Store-Fine-Dust-Mask-930x583.jpeg

And yes these masks have been proven effective against COVID just not as good as the N95,

21stamps

At one point hairdressers were also allowed to have one customer at a time... but since they can't guarantee the social distancing rule, all of them decided to close their shops anyway.

Ah ok. That makes sense. I took it as open for normal business. My mistake!

Lilofan

I think people in the heartland and burbs will be fine but the big cities like NYC or Miami combined with people not following rules will have a very difficult time getting out of this.
City life attitude is aggressive go getter and heartland life is the more simpler way of life, family values. That's just my take. It's that city attitude that is playing with fire with the coronavirus.

LittleBuford

His posts have been about to what degree we shut down.. how many lives are harmed/ruined to save an unknown number.

Unless I’m wrong, and he’s been saying something completely different. 🤣

As his own words indicate, he is discussing approaches that are not being taken or considered, even though he wishes they were. For example:

The conversation really comes down to what is the cost of each level of "abundance of caution". Abundance of caution isn't free. There is a trade-off that is not being considered, as in the current hysteria it is simply if it is MORE abundance of caution therefore it is inherently right and good. [. . .] But we have decided as a society that the 40,000+ deaths (nearly entirely preventable if you pursue those policies) are an acceptable trade off to the convenience to our lives and economic benefit.

Shouldigo12

I've been thinking the same thing.
Make me the third for this one. I think all places are having some trouble with people not following the rules, but most (not all, but most) of the pictures I've seen showing people flouting the guidelines were taken in major cities. I don't know if going out is just a bigger part of life in these areas or what.

hopemax

I think people in the heartland and burbs will be fine but the big cities like NYC or Miami combined with people not following rules will have a very difficult time getting out of this.

It's early in this, so I don't want to be too Chicken Little, but I think the Heartland is going to feel this more than we think. One of the deaths in Washington, outside of the Life Care Center, which is easy to dismiss because of the age and health of its residents, was in Quincy, WA. For those that aren't familiar with Washington State, Quincy is a small farming community of 6700 people in Eastern Washington. The person was also elderly, but they have no idea where he possibly could have gotten this from. He didn't travel, not internationally, not west of the mountains. Think about an elderly couple, going to the senior center for meals, going to church, getting together with their local grange or fraternal organization, all thinking that they live in nowhere'sville. But silently spreading it. What about testing, what medical services are available to them? Maybe a few units to keep a patient while they wait for transfer to the big city?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

I really wish I went and got my hair cut a week ago. If this lasts too long I may need to order some clippers and buzz myself. ;)

Lilofan

Make me the third for this one. I think all places are having some trouble with people not following the rules, but most (not all, but most) of the pictures I've seen showing people flouting the guidelines were taken in major cities. I don't know if going out is just a bigger part of life in these areas or what.
Going out in city life is very normal. In NYC, apts are so small it's beyond belief.

thomas998

You’re simply dead wrong. What we are doing now will lessen the number of people who get the virus which, in turn, will not overtax the hospitals and medical equipment which, in turn, can lead to a lower mortality rate.
No. What I said was absolutely correct. The mortality rate of the disease will only change if the virus mutates or a cure is found, mortality rates are not changed because a person gets medical treatment or is turned away at the hospital. We do not know the mortality rate right now but if it is 3 percent it stays 3 percent, more may die in a country like Italy that has 1/3rd as many beds per person as the US but that doesn't change the underlying mortality rate that is based on an assumption that a person has access to the standard treatment.

What you suggest COULD happen is true but it is only a possibility and doesn't actually represent the actual mortality rate as much as it represents the ability of a country to provide adequate medical treatment.

People are assuming that every person that is infected will require an ICU which is far from the reality. The vast majority will never even need to see a doctor and even those that do, only a small percent will need to be in a hospital. You are assuming the absolute worst possibility and that is not going to happen, each time more data has come out the outcome has moved further from the worst possible scenario. The 86% not knowing they even have it moved us a long way from the end of the world, why do you want to try and frighten people by continuing to throw out what is no longer valid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom