Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ABQ

Do the math from the article that you posted -- 74 dead, in the first quarter of a year, among fully vaccinated. That's not 74 per lifetime, or 74 per year. That's 74, just in the last 2 months or so. (not too many were fully vaccinated before that). So as I said, that easily equates to hundreds or even more than 1,000 per year. If you vaccinated 200 million, with a death rate of 1/million every 2 months, that's 1,200 deaths. If the death rate is a bit higher (considering the lag time of death reporting, it's likely a bit higher than the 74), easily looking at 1500-2000 deaths per year.
On the other hand, if we use vaccine and temporary mitigation to drive cases down to nearly zero... we would likely see practically nearly zero deaths per year among vaccinated people.
But your math implies that the rate of spread continues as it is now, even with more and more people being vaccinated? So though I agree with you, the 2 months is not enough to assume the 74 deaths won't grow, but there will be fewer unvaccinated people out there spreading around the virus over the next 6, 8 and 10 months. So the deaths per millions of vaccinated will not be a linear growth rate.

DisneyDebRob

You really think the general public is going to agree to continued mitigations to get from 1,200 deaths a year in vaccinated people down to near zero? How long do the continued mitigations last to get cases down to nearly zero? Months? Into 2022? That’s a tough sell, even for people who are interested in following the science.
The general public , or should I say the people with big voices on the internet.. were ready to lift mitigation when it was thousands dying a day. It’s a tough sell for people no matter the number. Shame.

ABQ

You really think the general public is going to agree to continued mitigations to get from 1,200 deaths a year in vaccinated people down to near zero? How long do the continued mitigations last to get cases down to nearly zero? Months? Into 2022? That’s a tough sell, even for people who are interested in following the science.
I think that question was asked yesterday on Capital Hill of the accepted foremost authority on such things and he failed to give a straight answer.

SamusAranX

I should note that as far as private organizations go, that it's still up to them. My faith has made it very clear we will be more cautious then the general public in terms of when to resume in person congregational meetings, assemblies, and so on. Zoom is working just fine for us. And I'm proud of that decision. But as far as personal choice to vaccinate, if I choose to go to the beach, grocery shop in person, etc. I can't be held responsible for those who choose not to vaccinate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The general public , or should I say the people with big voices on the internet.. were ready to lift mitigation when it was thousands dying a day. It’s a tough sell for people no matter the number. Shame.
If you look at polling the vast majority of Americans supported mitigations and still do. At one point it was north of 70% who supported masks. That’s why a company like Disney or Costco felt they could implement mask policies and be successful. There has always been a minority who wanted to lift all mitigations now. That doesn’t change. I’m talking about the vast majority who supported mitigations. Most of those people are getting vaccinated. Once they and their loved ones are vaccinated I think a lot of that demographic will start to change their minds on mitigations, especially if we hit Summer and anyone who wants a vaccine is done.

LaughingGravy

We are still under a situation of 'It depends.".
It's not what some people want to hear, but we're all still seeing people going around with noses exposed in stores after walking in the store without noses exposed, ripping off the mask as they walk out of a supermarket while passing someone in the other direction, as if they couldn't breathe the whole time they were in the store, and distancing as an afterthought with few willing to speak up for fear of a confrontation.
My mechanic and another of his employees ( out of only 4 total ) caught it, not surprisingly, based on their mask habits. They were out of commission, or at least staying home, for two weeks. I go to finally pick up my car, and there's the owner, one of the two who had it, without a mask in the office. He only put the mask on when I walked in, and it's a pretty small office, @ 15' x 10'. Yet, they have a sign on the outside of the door saying masks required to enter. While he was sick, and he was reportedly sick, not to the point of hospitalization but enough, his daughter was on the phone with me and she wasn't sure if she was going to get vaccinated even though she works there, too.
They are nice enough folks, and good mechanics are hard to find that don't just answer to plugging in a computer and reading a code, but it's that kind of behavior that keeps this ongoing.
They probably now figure that since they had it and survived, that they have immunity.
When will we go back to normal? Whenever the numbers go down to a significant reduction that it won't be a problem as Dr. Fauci said. When will that be, everyone clamors to know? It depends. The more people and the faster people get vaccinated, and the more proper and consistent mask wearing in public, the sooner it will be. But"Freedom", and "My Liberties" are slowing us down.

mmascari

Which doesn’t in my opinion give much incentive for those on the fence to get the shot. I know it would be almost impossible to control and know who is unmasked that is unvaccinated or not but at what point does that give? Covid will always be around most likely and at some point we have to have the freedom to make our own decisions on what is best or safe for us and our families ourselves and accept whatever risks there may be just like we do every day when we get behind a wheel where over 4mil people get injured in automobile accidents each year.

not comparing covid to a car crash just noting risks we choose to accept to enjoy life
So, is 40,000 yearly deaths your number then? That's about the automobile yearly number. That's fine. Own a number, bigger, smaller, at 40K, whatever. Just pick a value that you're willing to call "normal". The "we'll never never know, we have to get back, we can't just wait" is a huge dodge. Just own a value you think is normal. Otherwise, the assumption is that you want normal NOW, and yesterday's numbers were 700+ daily deaths, 250,000+ yearly. If you're not going to share your policy position explicitly, that's the value you seem to be implicitly telling us.

That is exactly my fear based on them not being able to answer the question on when things might change. There HAS to be some type of return to normalcy incentive to getting these shots if they want more to take them otherwise we are going to hit the end of the demand soon and be sitting with a lot of population who won’t get one hearing about side effect risks and still needing to mask up and social distance regardless
It's not a scientific question. It's a policy one. I watched the Fauci/Jordan exchange. I was extremely disappointed that Fauci didn't ask Jordan what level he felt was acceptable. Defining acceptable yearly impacts is a policy question, not a scientific one. We elect politicians to make policy decisions. They get advice and guidance from the unelected science people then use it to understand those policy impacts and on what things will impact the metrics. But, at the end of the day, the decision about the level of community spread going around that we determine is "acceptable" isn't a science one, it's all policy. Between Fauci and Jordan, Fauci should be advising on impacts of different levels and ways actions will drive the levels up or down. But, it's Jordan that should be deciding on what level is acceptable. The exchange came off sounding like Jordan wanted normal today and that today's numbers were just fine to him. I don't know if that's what he really meant, and I wish Fauci had asked him that question in respsone.

correcaminos

Do the math from the article that you posted -- 74 dead, in the first quarter of a year, among fully vaccinated. That's not 74 per lifetime, or 74 per year. That's 74, just in the last 2 months or so. (not too many were fully vaccinated before that). So as I said, that easily equates to hundreds or even more than 1,000 per year. If you vaccinated 200 million, with a death rate of 1/million every 2 months, that's 1,200 deaths. If the death rate is a bit higher (considering the lag time of death reporting, it's likely a bit higher than the 74), easily looking at 1500-2000 deaths per year.
On the other hand, if we use vaccine and temporary mitigation to drive cases down to nearly zero... we would likely see practically nearly zero deaths per year among vaccinated people.
How about we wait on the report before going all full negative again. All articles said they are awaiting on findings. I mean a friend of mine died after testing positive for covid and having both shots. Covid wasn't the driving force for her death. Her blood cancer was. I really don't understand why people seem to want to keep the bad news at forefront like this should never end. I'm fully vaccinated and I'm getting sick of it really. I want this to end and I don't need zero to go back to normal.

dreday3

How about we wait on the report before going all full negative again. All articles said they are awaiting on findings. I mean a friend of mine died after testing positive for covid and having both shots. Covid wasn't the driving force for her death. Her blood cancer was. I really don't understand why people seem to want to keep the bad news at forefront like this should never end. I'm fully vaccinated and I'm getting sick of it really. I want this to end and I don't need zero to go back to normal.

It does seem like sometimes nothing will ever be enough. There will always be some reason that we can never go back to normal.
It does get exhausting.

Let's hope this is almost over.

Touchdown

When called to a hearing by congress it is implied you will be answering their questions, but not the other way around. It’s not a Congressional discussion/debate (they only do that with each other) it’s a congressional hearing, like a court hearing. The witness only gets to answer questions asked of them by the lawyer/congressman asking them.

LaughingGravy

What about if insurance companies set a deadline when vaccinations are beyond plentiful, likely coming pretty soon at the rate we're going even without J&J, where if you are not vaccinated, you won't be denied treatment, but insurance will not cover the cost of your treatment? If I build a fire in the middle of my living room sans fireplace, the insurance company will not cover the rebuild of my house when I could have simply turned on the heat.

correcaminos

It does seem like sometimes nothing will ever be enough. There will always be some reason that we can never go back to normal.
It does get exhausting.

Let's hope this is almost over.
Don't get me wrong, I've followed orders and behaved as told for the time when appropriate. When I had a hard time finding masks for small faces, I stayed outside only or in my home. Once found, I even agreed to wear them outside in public many times. I joined the trial. I canceled trips and did holidays from afar with family. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel and am grateful for it. I do want this to end and soon. 2 summers of this will be too much for me. So that's why I look for good now. It's too exhausting to keep negative. Doesn't mean I'll misbehave either, I just need to find the positives.

Like our spring breaks didn't cause near as much in terms of rising of cases as I feared! I expected a small spike and so far see a bump. The vaccines are doing their jobs. So we should focus on that and find ways to make sure all do get vaccinated who can.

LaughingGravy

When called to a hearing by congress it is implied you will be answering their questions, but not the other way around. It’s not a Congressional discussion/debate (they only do that with each other) it’s a congressional hearing, like a court hearing. The witness only gets to answer questions asked of them by the lawyer/congressman asking them.
If you don't have an answer to their question, it's difficult to respond, because if you respond with something as a guess, they will hold you to it, for what that's worth.
Answer yes or no, have you stopped beating your kid? Don't debate me. It's a yes or no question.

correcaminos

What about if insurance companies set a deadline when vaccinations are beyond plentiful, likely coming pretty soon at the rate we're going even without J&J, where if you are not vaccinated, you won't be denied treatment, but insurance will not cover the cost of your treatment? If I build a fire in the middle of my living room sans fireplace, the insurance company will not cover the rebuild of my house when I could have simply turned on the heat.
Small issue - there are a small population who would have contradictions. Not fair to me if they get it and are not covered through no fault of their own. It is a tiny population but still..

I'm good with other positive dangling of carrots though.

Incomudro

I agree. The fastest way to a return to normal is get as many people as possible vaccinated as fast as possible. I would have no issue with a vaccine passport personally, I just know it won’t happen in the US. The minority who won’t get the vaccine will delay our return to normal, but hopefully they are a small enough number that it’s only a short delay :)
I'm all for vaccine passports.

mmascari

Once everybody who wishes to be vaccinated can do so relatively easily (without needed to jump through hoops for appointments), everything should return to normal, regardless of community spread among the people who choose not to be vaccinated. I truly couldn't care less how many of those people get sick or end up in the hospital or die. It is their choice at that point. For the unfortunate few who can't be vaccinated or are immunocompromised, they will have to take extreme precautions to protect themselves if they are high risk.

Once everybody has the opportunity to be vaccinated, nearly all who die will die because they opted not to be vaccinated. I don't really care if there are 50 deaths a day or 50,000 deaths a day at that point. In 99.99% of cases it will have been the result of their choice.

Part of me would agree with this if it was that simple. But, even being vaccinated, having large community spread still occurring creates risk for me. It is a significantly less immediate risk, but I'm playing the long game here and not intending on being gone for a long time.

Still having large community spread with not enough people vaccinated is a recipe to select for and encourage the emergence of a vaccine resistant variant. An event that would negate my protection from being vaccinated. It's in my longer term personal best interest to discourage any scenario that encourages a vaccine resistant variant.

Hence, while part of me wants to agree that other people not using any mitigations and getting themselves infected is all on them and it's their choice to live with the impact. Because that same behavior can have a negative impact to me, I prefer to avoid it and not have to deal with it's impact on myself. An impact to me that I have no control over because it's their decision.

Chi84

Premium Member
Don't get me wrong, I've followed orders and behaved as told for the time when appropriate. When I had a hard time finding masks for small faces, I stayed outside only or in my home. Once found, I even agreed to wear them outside in public many times. I joined the trial. I canceled trips and did holidays from afar with family. I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel and am grateful for it. I do want this to end and soon. 2 summers of this will be too much for me. So that's why I look for good now. It's too exhausting to keep negative. Doesn't mean I'll misbehave either, I just need to find the positives.

Like our spring breaks didn't cause near as much in terms of rising of cases as I feared! I expected a small spike and so far see a bump. The vaccines are doing their jobs. So we should focus on that and find ways to make sure all do get vaccinated who can.
A local health expert said the two most important things you can do to end COVID are: (1) get vaccinated; and (2) help others get vaccinated.

Incomudro

Months, not years. If we're still at high levels of community spread for years, we've done something very wrong. The faster the vaccinated percentage goes up, the shorter those months will be.

Define normal? Is 75,000 cases 800 deaths daily normal, nationally? Do you have a smaller or larger number in mind?

I'm honestly asking. What's your number for normal?

Not some "at some point we have to", but a real metric. In your opinion, if you're making the call. Is 75,000 cases 800 deaths daily the new normal? Is the new normal higher or lower than that?

I'm not wondering what any of the science people are saying. They'll provide all the advice in the world about what actions will cause the numbers to go up or down. It's a policy decision then about weighing those actions and the change on the numbers against the other "not COVID" things those actions will impact. If we want to talk about when we should stop different actions, assuming we're not fighting about if the actions actually work, we should at least decide if the goal even matters.

So, what's "normal"? What's the level of daily cases and daily deaths nationally when we're all just fine with the number?

(It's not 0. Not even close to 0, well above that. But, it's not what those values were today either.)
20,000 to some 60,000 thousand annual covid deaths here in the US works for me.
We accept that with the annual flu, so I accept that for covid19.

* I've edited this now, with the widespread availability of effective vaccines, and if things don't take an unexpected, critical turn for the worse.

Last edited:

Chomama

There is some good news on the Covid19 front even though the number of cases are still increasing in the US. There are now as n average of 71,511 cases ccx a day in the US, or 21.6 per 100,000. The good news is 3 of the top 10 states are not in the Northeast. In fact NJ is down to 41 and NY is down to 35. Now the bad news for most of us is Florida is up to 30 but 22.59% of Florida's cases are from Miami-Dade.
This isn’t surprising to me re: Miami. We are here for a 3 night vacation. We are vaccinated but still only dining outdoors and sitting on the beach. If you looked at the hotel dining room last night or the lobby bar you wouldn’t think there was a pandemic. It looks exactly how it did before Covid. No masks, packed and people drinking and laughing. It was so surprising to see!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom