Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disvillain63

We got official word this afternoon that our schools in the CSRA Georgia area will be closed until April 13th. My DD was head back to UConn for some meetings and just found out that the university is cancelling classes for the semester. So now she's still headed up to figure out her role.

21stamps

I think you are in my state (Ohio), bu all cancelled here. I realize a sweeping statement of "all" is easier to make. But youth soccer seems to me to be a pretty low risk activity. Outdoors, <15 kids, well spread out and not touching one another.

Yeah. We have a roster of 10, but they are not allowed to meet up at all, even a few of them.
They are doing online practices. This is a huge hit to all sports organizations and vendors too.
As of now league play is suspended thru 4/15 per US Soccer, but it sounds like that may be extended.

I really wonder the long term effects from all of this.

DisneyDebRob

Forgetting the Coronavirus for a minute if we can. The US has always been a reactionary country, not a precautionary one. It has been all about money always. Why start spending when we don’t even know if it will effect us. Many examples of this throughout our history. I remember the HIV problems in the 80’s. Nothing was being done because of.. it’s just a certain population.. it will blow over.. etc. Maybe when we saw something happening with corona in late January, early February, we as a country, and I mean our government, might say to themselves.. this may be something, let’s prepare just a little.
I don’t know what the answers are but with any health crisis, be it the health of our family or country.. preparedness goes a long way.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Personally if this were happening when my 3 boys were in school (grown now) they would bring all there books home and call me mean (they would) but their education would continue at home.
Woah. Sorry. :(

DeWine isn’t going to let a state appear more cautious and proactive than his... I’m just waiting for the bomb to drop.

She is in first grade so will survive. ...virtual classrooms start next week so her school year will continue.

Kevin_W

Yeah. We have a roster of 10, but they are not allowed to meet up at all, even a few of them.
They are doing online practices. This is a huge hit to all sports organizations and vendors too.
As of now league play is suspended thru 4/15 per US Soccer, but it sounds like that may be extended.

I really wonder the long term effects from all of this.

I think we all wonder about the long term and pray that it won't be that bad. For soccer at least I can kick a ball with my daughter. She's also a gymnast with is much harder. Most gyms have set up some on-line training sessions so girls can keep their conditioning up, but unfortunately that is a sport that requires a lot of time in the gym to keep skills up.

ImperfectPixie

Schools are closed for a minimum of 3 weeks.. looking like that will extend. Spring sports may not return..households are losing income...No One is continuing on like nothing has changed.
I apologize for laying into you so hard, but people have HUGE social circles these days, and the people I know with kids young enough to still have play-dates are basically never home and constantly surrounded by different people, attending group activities multiple times per week, etc. etc. And I think "play-date" was way too loose a term to describe your situation. Child care became a HUGE problem the second schools were closed. I considered offering to sit for kids in our small area, but with my husband being at high risk for severe symptoms (heart valve replacement) if he catches the virus, I decided not to out of an abundance of caution.

John park hopper

Forgetting the Coronavirus for a minute if we can. The US has always been a reactionary country, not a precautionary one. It has been all about money always. Why start spending when we don’t even know if it will effect us. Many examples of this throughout our history. I remember the HIV problems in the 80’s. Nothing was being done because of.. it’s just a certain population.. it will blow over.. etc. Maybe when we saw something happening with corona in late January, early February, we as a country, and I mean our government, might say to themselves.. this may be something, let’s prepare just a little.
I don’t know what the answers are but with any health crisis, be it the health of our family or country.. preparedness goes a long way.
Beg to differ with you on the HIV issue read up on it--- a lot was being done once it was Identified There is always a lag time between identification and gearing up research and developing treatment strategies.

21stamps

I think we all wonder about the long term and pray that it won't be that bad. For soccer at least I can kick a ball with my daughter. She's also a gymnast with is much harder. Most gyms have set up some on-line training sessions so girls can keep their conditioning up, but unfortunately that is a sport that requires a lot of time in the gym to keep skills up.

I think there’s going to be a huge impact... especially at the elementary school aged levels, but really across the board all ages. Kids improve so much throughout a season... missing one is going to have a long term impact.

What I wonder about is tryouts. Soccer tryouts are in late May,..baseball tryouts are July...I think we’ll see a huge difference between kids who had siblings and parents to work with them often during this time.. and those who have only been able to practice alone.
Depending on the length of the shutdown I do think trainers will start offering services again near the end of it.. which may help a lot of kids.

I also wonder about the mental state of kids who’s life is basically a sport/s... going from multiple games a weekend, several practices a week.. to now nothing but working on skills at home.

It’s just a mess all the way around.

orlandogal22

Beg to differ with you on the HIV issue read up on it--- a lot was being done once it was Identified There is always a lag time between identification and gearing up research and developing treatment strategies.

Correct. AZT was developed as a cancer therapy in the early 60s then was shelved until it showed promise with AIDS around '87, I believe, after substantial drug testing as to what could combat the virus. It gained FDA approval and then they began working on ways to mitigate some of the bad effects of the drug on patients and help improve lifespan, lower viral loads, and then eventually introduce a new wave of antivirals. I think there's like 40+ drugs to treat HIV now, 30+ years later.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom