Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

coasterphil

No matter what the polling suggests, the appointments were all being claimed BEFORE they were forced to allow teachers. That means the demand among the eligible groups was still exceeding the supply of appointments.

There was no "stick it to the libs" as he had already opened it to teachers 50+. He was the first to go against the Federal guidelines under the prior administration who wanted "essential workers" prioritized over 65-74. He has a strong belief (which I share) that the best approach is to vaccinate as many 65+ as possible first based on statistics.

Sure, it is a good group to prioritize from a political standpoint. All politicians from both parties do this every day at the Federal level. They are all always screaming about protecting social security and medicare benefits, two programs which give the vast majority (based on how long they live) back far more than they put in. Any reform proposals (almost always from Republicans) always begin with "this will not effect anybody who is over 45 today." They all know that it is political suicide not to please the senior citizen population.

The OCCC site has been sending texts almost every day stating they still have additional appointments available. They're only doing healthcare and 65+, so to me that means they've started to see demand slip in those groups. I know that's only one location, but that seems to signal that anyone 65+ who is really working to find an appointment should be able to secure one at this point. No they can't just walk into a pharmacy whenever they feel like it like for a flu shot, but you can't hold up the next group just because a certain percentage doesn't want to make the extra effort. They still have the advantage of being able to use any distribution site too.

Heppenheimer

Yup, the Midwest is crushing this. Iowa goes to 1c Monday, Wisconsin plans to announce the next group next week (and open it up soon after.) All you need to do is look at the map (from Bloomberg.) The Southeast (not including Florida,) and to a lesser extent the PNW is lagging behind the country. The Northern Rockies and Plains are the national leaders.

View attachment 537355
Oklahoma, New Mexico and West Virginia are not normally known for favorable health care delivery metrics, so I'm kind of surprised they seem to be ahead of the curve.

And then there's the Deep South, about where they usually rank on these kind of things.

ABQ

Oklahoma, New Mexico and West Virginia are not normally known for favorable health care delivery metrics, so I'm kind of surprised they seem to be ahead of the curve.

And then there's the Deep South, about where they usually rank on these kind of things.
Tell me about it, I've gotten my vaccine and still get texts and emails from the NM-DOH that they have vaccine available for me. Maybe I should double for the fun and excitement! Honestly, I think the very large Native American population in NM, OK, the Dakotas and AK has possible shifted extra supply to the regions.

Touchdown

Tell me about it, I've gotten my vaccine and still get texts and emails from the NM-DOH that they have vaccine available for me. Maybe I should double for the fun and excitement! Honestly, I think the very large Native American population in NM, OK, the Dakotas and AK has possible shifted extra supply to the regions.
That’s a part of it, and it’s about time we as a nation didn’t screw over that demographic for once. Vaccine hesitancy amongst Native Americans appears to be far less then Hispanics and African Americans.

BrianLo

Regarding the teacher discussion, I find some of this interesting how this gets so politicized in the US and Canadian Provinces are low key doing more controversial things.

Alberta has gone almost all in on the age roll out. To the extent that Physicians who don’t have acute level care are NOT being offered the vaccine either, let alone teachers.

Community physicians qualify after 50-64 have been getting Astra Zeneca and after the mRNA have been offered to 65+ and 18-65 with health risks.

I actually think I sort of agree. Yes it’s super annoying for essential workers, but the vaccine needs to be targeted to where it will be most efficacious first. Plenty of essential workers will qualify in the age and risk factor roll out inevitably.

Also we’re changing to giving the second doses up to 16 weeks apart now. Something i don’t think the US is doing.

*But disclosure I got it so I’m sure I’d be more annoyed being in the left out cohort.*

Heppenheimer

That’s a part of it, and it’s about time we as a nation didn’t screw over that demographic for once. Vaccine hesitancy amongst Native Americans appears to be far less then Hispanics and African Americans.
Ah, yes, I forgot about the Indian Health Service.

Touchdown

Regarding the teacher discussion, I find some of this interesting how this gets so politicized in the US and Canadian Provinces are low key doing more controversial things.

Alberta has gone almost all in on the age roll out. To the extent that Physicians who don’t have acute level care are NOT being offered the vaccine either, let alone teachers.

Community physicians qualify after 50-64 have been getting Astra Zeneca and after the mRNA have been offered to 65+ and 18-65 with health risks.

I actually think I sort of agree. Yes it’s super annoying for essential workers, but the vaccine needs to be targeted to where it will be most efficacious first. Plenty of essential workers will qualify in the age and risk factor roll out inevitably.

Also we’re changing to giving the second doses up to 16 weeks apart now. Something i don’t think the US is doing.

*But disclosure I got it so I’m sure I’d be more annoyed being in the left out cohort.*
I’m a hospital doctor, but if I was in Canada and one of the doctors not getting access I would be livid. There needs to be a balance, and people who have had to risk their lives for a year for the sake of their profession deserve priority. I was weary about letting 65 and over go before essential workers when announced but now, and considering mortality drops significantly in under 65 year olds I am ok with the US plan. I would be ed if a youngish (still in his 30s) doctor like me was denied a vaccine prior to a 45 year old advertising executive who’s been working from home all year.

Last edited:

Chomama

I have tried to find answers but come up short. Does anyone know why here, in Alabama, we aren’t getting enough vaccine? Our state is so far behind. We are still on 65+ and medical professionals. Even MS is further along. And it is NOT the inability to give shots. We don’t have any more shots to give. Appointments
Are being cancelled all the time
Due to supply. Wouldn’t the federal admin see this failure down south and step in? They keep setting up sites in florida and nothing at all here. We have had a positivity rate near 25% for months - finally down in the last few weeks. We need help!

sullyinMT

They (IHS and in some cases tribal governments directly) are receiving doses in a manner similar to the federal pharmacy partnership. It’s been that way from day 1.

What’s impressive is their outreach and getting it into their constituents quickly. If you break down state data by county, the tribal lands are absolutely showing us how to do this. Even with their limited resources.

sullyinMT

OK, the wrinkle is: the receptionist at our primary Dr. said she "doesn't think they can sign it" today (the paper that shows we are vulnerable.) And our appointment is 9:30AM on Monday. I'm flipping out.
Good luck! Hopefully, of the alternative is a wasted dose, you can show a history of care in MyChart or an Rx or something. Fingers crossed for you!

ABQ

They (IHS and in some cases tribal governments directly) are receiving doses in a manner similar to the federal pharmacy partnership. It’s been that way from day 1.

What’s impressive is their outreach and getting it into their constituents quickly. If you break down state data by county, the tribal lands are absolutely showing us how to do this. Even with their limited resources.

COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution and Administration by IHS Area​

As of March 1, 2021, the IHS is distributing vaccine allocations of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine. The table below shows the total number of vaccine doses distributed and administered per IHS Area to date.

AreaTotal Doses Distributed*Total Doses Administered**
Albuquerque68,83558,828
Bemidji52,61543,192
Billings25,71521,447
California73,07537,690
Great Plains62,45040,625
Nashville36,09524,490
Navajo148,345111,353
Oklahoma City273,600138,548
Phoenix87,84059,607
Portland39,08533,455
Tucson^5,2003,800
Grand Total872,855573,035

Yup, OK city being rather well accommodated.

I hope, but I do not know, if the Native American population in NM is relying solely upon IHS for vaccines or if each pueblo is welcome to just use the state services as well. My county has 3 sovereign pueblos within it alone. I do know that unlike AZ, unless they have changed things, case counts at least, were reported solely by zip code and inclusive of the Native lands.

correcaminos

I have been heartened by stories I have read of leaders taking charge to help promote getting the vaccine. Months ago hesitancy was higher than now. Though reality is Latinos and Blacks seem to be lower than before too. I see that as a positive all around.

Disney Experience

The OCCC site has been sending texts almost every day stating they still have additional appointments available. They're only doing healthcare and 65+, so to me that means they've started to see demand slip in those groups. I know that's only one location, but that seems to signal that anyone 65+ who is really working to find an appointment should be able to secure one at this point. No they can't just walk into a pharmacy whenever they feel like it like for a flu shot, but you can't hold up the next group just because a certain percentage doesn't want to make the extra effort. They still have the advantage of being able to use any distribution site too.
If sites are starting or close to getting unfilled vaccine slots then it should be opened up to the next priority group. Better yet they should for a time first open up the reservations for the following weeks for a day or two for the groups that had already been approved before, then open it up for groups recently approved. Repeat that for some time

example: If Publix allows this week to book next week’s slots, then on Monday and Tuesday of this week booking can only be made by 65+, healthcare workers; then on Wednesday open what is left for the new groups ( teachers, etc). I would guess that when the next week started all slots would be filled.

Last edited:

correcaminos

If sites are starting or close to getting unfilled vaccine slots then it should be opened up to the next priority group. Better yet they should for a time first open up the reservations for the following weeks for a day or two for the groups that had already been approved before, then open it up for groups recently approved. Repeat that for some time

example: If Publix allows this week to book next week’s slots, then on Monday and Tuesday of this week booking can only be made by 65+, healthcare workers; then on Wednesday open what is left for the new groups ( teachers, etc). I would guess that when the next week started all slots would be filled.
Noticing here less people in my county are having issues vs others. So what is sucking is the state has its rules but not all areas are struggling quite as much. Locally friends in the groups are getting appointments. People 60 miles away are still struggling. Hard to know when to move when it's done by state, not region.

Disney Experience

Noticing here less people in my county are having issues vs others. So what is sucking is the state has its rules but not all areas are struggling quite as much. Locally friends in the groups are getting appointments. People 60 miles away are still struggling. Hard to know when to move when it's done by state, not region.
That is why they should transition it to a priority in making an advanced reservation . Then if slots are open even at a specific store after the preferred period for reservation they will be filled by someone in a lower priority group.

kinda like DVC does in regards to ones home resort.

sullyinMT

COVID-19 Vaccine Distribution and Administration by IHS Area​

As of March 1, 2021, the IHS is distributing vaccine allocations of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccine. The table below shows the total number of vaccine doses distributed and administered per IHS Area to date.

AreaTotal Doses Distributed*Total Doses Administered**
Albuquerque68,83558,828
Bemidji52,61543,192
Billings25,71521,447
California73,07537,690
Great Plains62,45040,625
Nashville36,09524,490
Navajo148,345111,353
Oklahoma City273,600138,548
Phoenix87,84059,607
Portland39,08533,455
Tucson^5,2003,800
Grand Total872,855573,035

Yup, OK city being rather well accommodated.

I hope, but I do not know, if the Native American population in NM is relying solely upon IHS for vaccines or if each pueblo is welcome to just use the state services as well. My county has 3 sovereign pueblos within it alone. I do know that unlike AZ, unless they have changed things, case counts at least, were reported solely by zip code and inclusive of the Native lands.
I can speak specifically to Billings. We have an Urban Indian Outreach Clinic within city limits that receives doses through IHS. Their specific numbers get reported through IHS reporting, similar to VA or DOD. It's a subset, and counts in state percentages, as well. CDC reporting is to make sure those specific subsets aren't being underserved, or to ensure that more outreach is given if needed.

In Montana, each sovereign group was able to elect distribution through state allocation or IHS. Split was mostly to IHS, but Native Americans not living on tribal lands or "coming in to town" are eligible through all channels. It is the one population, here at least, that is 100% eligible regardless of age or health status. Considering the higher percentage of multigenerational homes in comparison to the rest of the state, I think it was the right move. Perhaps that has just as much to do with their high percentage of completion/start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom