Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

correcaminos

That's exactly how it would need to be done. The validating group creating the passport needs a way to know that the passport they're creating is correct. Cross checking with the vaccine administrator would be the most robust. Having a document that can be validated would be next. The current CDC card isn't designed to be validated as proof.

Real passports do all those things, and are already used when traveling between countries. For travel that also requires a visa, it's probably almost nothing to add this. For travel that doesn't need the visa, it's definitely more overhead, but I would still expect it. It's going to be much longer until the entire world is at the same level.
Right so you think we all should have passports just for this verification? Yeah no, now we're reaching too far. It's not necessary to tie to a passport at all for anything relating to our country. I'm saying this as someone with a valid passport and one for all of my family, but no, this is not how it needs to be done.

You can get your own card or app and scan. That's it. No need to make this convoluted.

I actually do not even have a CDC card from my shot, so we all know that's not a good requirement either. But if we do this, let's make it good for all, not just those with passports.

correcaminos

Just my 2 cents, but everyone should get the vaccine as soon as they are eligible. Let the government and health experts decide who gets priority, don’t jump the line and try to go before your turn, but when your turn is up get the vaccine. Remember that just like masking and distancing it’s not just to protect you. If you are not vaccinated you have a much higher potential to get sick and then spread Covid to someone else. Once you are vaccinated you are much less likely to be a contagious spreader. So by not taking the vacccine in order to let others get it you could end up infecting more people. This especially applies to anyone who is not restricting their behavior as much. If you work from home, avoid all but essential public contact and always wear a mask then perhaps you aren’t as high risk to be a spreader, but you still could be. Best to just get it when available. Every person who gets vaccinated is one less person that can get sick and/or spread Covid.
I also will add I have zero issues with those who took left overs as well. All should be vaccinated when they can and no shots should ever be wasted if you happen to get lucky and get shots that others are not taking. All getting vaccinated will help end the spread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Maybe some of us would rather take our chances because the statistics show the more vulnerable may not be as fortunate! I would feel very selfish as a healthy under 50 person if I got vaccinated before those wo may need it more simply out of the fear of what could happen when we know what is happening to those most vulnerable.

I fail to see your point?

You want to delay getting something everyone should get?

Certain logic to that...but here’s the kicker: somewhere between 150,000 and 200,000 of the 515,000 totals deaths are from nursing homes or care facilities a...

That’s leaves about 300,000 unaccounted for.

Some...ahem...on this thread continue to say only nursing homes really matter. But those 300,000 came from community spread.

Anything to shrink that spread is a good thing.

havoc315

I tried to google this, but I couldn't find any information on how someone get's one. Lots of marketing speak and comparisons to other tickets, but nothing on how someone would sign up or how they tell the system they've been vaccinated. This is the important part, and it's completely missing in every story. They just say stuff like "a person tells them they've been vaccinated", it's all very vague on the setup and focused on the use afterwards.

A ticket is easy, here's some money in exchange you get a ticket. They've validated with 100% accuracy that you gave them money. This isn't the same problem, even if the usage looks the same afterwards.

Those stories also say the event will still have all the mitigation elements. Which, if you're doing all of that, does it matter if only vaccinated people are there?

It's a pilot program. You can't "sign up" yet.

But New York (and I believe per the CDC, the whole country) is closely tracking who is vaccinated. They are checking IDs, recording the information. There are detailed computerized records being kept.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I also will add I have zero issues with those who took left overs as well. All should be vaccinated when they can and no shots should ever be wasted if you happen to get lucky and get shots that others are not taking. All getting vaccinated will help end the spread.
Absolutely agree. If you happen upon extra doses that would go unused then you should take the vaccine and feel no guilt.

mmascari

Right so you think we all should have passports just for this verification? Yeah no, now we're reaching too far. It's not necessary to tie to a passport at all for anything relating to our country. I'm saying this as someone with a valid passport and one for all of my family, but no, this is not how it needs to be done.

You can get your own card or app and scan. That's it. No need to make this convoluted.

I actually do not even have a CDC card from my shot, so we all know that's not a good requirement either. But if we do this, let's make it good for all, not just those with passports.
No, I'm saying you should only need a vaccine passport for things that already require a real passport. If you don't already, pre COVID, need a real passport for something, you shouldn't need a vaccine passport for it either.

ABQ

But New York (and I believe per the CDC, the whole country) is closely tracking who is vaccinated. They are checking IDs, recording the information. There are detailed computerized records being kept.
My ID, nor anyone's in the locations I went for both doses, administered by CVS, were never checked. Sure, we filled out forms providing insurance info, but, it was all very haphazard. In many cases, people were using other people's backs as a surface to write on, so to think the information was legible and could be recorded incorrectly if someone later on is entering this into any sort of database is very likely.

Lilofan

My ID, nor anyone's in the locations I went for both doses, administered by CVS, were never checked. Sure, we filled out forms providing insurance info, but, it was all very haphazard. In many cases, people were using other people's backs as a surface to write on, so to think the information was legible and could be recorded incorrectly if someone later on is entering this into any sort of database is very likely.
In my mother's appt at the indoor mega site, temperatures of people were never checked. All the RN asked if you were not feeling well today. Insurance cards were checked and info taken down by the RNs. They wanted to make sure that insurance companies get the bill for the vaccine.

correcaminos

No, I'm saying you should only need a vaccine passport for things that already require a real passport. If you don't already, pre COVID, need a real passport for something, you shouldn't need a vaccine passport for it either.
Ah, different argument entirely from what I was thinking based on the NY talk. My mistake.

I'm indifferent to needing one on us soil. I really don't care one way or another.

DisneyCane

A private industry vaccine passport could definitely work. Places like WDW, sports/concert venues and even airlines could require you have a vaccine passport to enter. That would make it voluntary for people to sign up and be part of a "carrot" approach to getting vaccinated. I doubt you'd ever see walmart or a restaurant requiring a passport for entry but it could make sense for large gathering places to make people feel safe who wouldn't otherwise.

mmascari

Even a pilot program needs ways to enroll pilot users. Those pilot users need to know what's needed as proof of vaccination to create the simpler proof of vaccination.

Are they putting all that data in my national health system electronic medical record? ;)

Most states don't even have one system for making appointments. There's lot of reporting about the statistical data, from all different levels. But, that's not the same as personally identifiable centralized records.

I'll agree that it would be completely possible for someone creating a vaccine passport to take a CDC card, or just someone filling out a form, and then confirm with the group that administered the vaccine that it actually happened. Assuming that group is allowed to divulge the information. That's a lot of overhead. It's going to be slow and expensive to do.

seabreezept813

"The CVS Pharmacy chain is vaccinating Florida teachers under age 50, circumventing state orders that continue to limit coronavirus inoculations to those over that age.

The chain also began vaccinating day care and preschool teachers Wednesday, even though Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis has not yet opened the vaccination program to them. CVS is giving inoculations in two dozen cities across the state.

CVS said it is following Biden administration guidelines released this week, which are broader for educators than Florida’s. For teachers, Florida limits the vaccine to classroom teachers 50 and older who work in kindergarten through 12th grade. The federal guidelines allow day care workers, preschool teachers and educators in elementary, middle and high schools to be vaccinated with no age limit.

“We’ve aligned with updated Federal Retail Pharmacy Program guidelines by making appointments available to pre-K through 12 educators and staff and childcare workers in all 17 states where we currently offer COVID-19 vaccines,” the Rhode Island-based company said in a statement."

Our governor finally caved. Teachers can get them at CVS now and then are eligible for other locations end of next week.. it was definitely a move her made begrudgingly.

tpac24

It's not always that simple. Many under 50 still have dependant children in their homes. In my case if I died my daughter would legally be put with her father whom was physically abusive towards me, the court won't terminate rights because he has not been abusive to her. Neither set of grandparents are physically capable of raising her, and she has no living aunts or uncles. If getting vaccinated reduces one way of possibly dying I'll take it as soon as I can.
I was specifically talking about myself and why I haven't sought out an appointment to get one . I honestly don't concern myself on what others do in terms of the vaccine. I really hope you have been able to get the vaccine.

correcaminos

The articles about the NY pilot are missing critical information. They're full of marketing buzzwords though, including blockchain.

They all sound like a great way for IBM to get some money more than anything else.
I'm not entirely sure that is true. One state that would be more likely to do this would be NY IMO. They're a bit more progressive in mentality and could really like the idea of passports since other countries are. I'm truly indifferent to it all.

DisneyCane

Our governor finally caved. Teachers can get them at CVS now and then are eligible for other locations end of next week.. it was definitely a move her made begrudgingly.
He didn't "cave." He didn't have a choice. The Federal Government is purchasing the vaccines and providing them to the State. The HHS secretary put out an order that teachers must be made eligible regardless of age so they will be made eligible.

tpac24

He didn't "cave." He didn't have a choice. The Federal Government is purchasing the vaccines and providing them to the State. The HHS secretary put out an order that teachers must be made eligible regardless of age so they will be made eligible.
If teachers getting them means students can be back in school than vaccinate away!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom