Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disney Experience

Everyone will suddenly be a social smoker..college all over again!
When I joined the Navy at age 17 (I was in college since age 16 but got bored and joined, got my degrees later) . I attended boot camp up in Great Lakes Naval Training Camp (North Chicago). 70+ recruits in my company. No music was allowed, cigarettes were given out for free. I did not smoke before joining the service. But when I wanted to get a soda in the small break room during our smoke breaks. I learned that a cigarette with a filter in it in my mouth was much better than breathing the second hand smoke of 70+ recruits. I quit my very short time of smoking after boot camp. I do not think the military gives out free cigarettes in boot camp anymore, and do wonder if the breaks are still called smoke breaks.

If one wanted to get vaccinated and smoking was the way to get an appointment I can see the temptation to temporarily start smoking. But for many it is hard to stop once started.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You can hear it at this link - the question begins at 49:33.

Thanks. Still not fully clear. When they talk about returning to 2019 levels of revenue by 2022 for TWDC thats the fiscal year 10/1/18 through 9/30/19 vs the fiscal year 10/1/21 through 9/30/22. So it’s unclear if when he says we anticipate masks and social distancing through the end of the year if he’s referring to the fiscal year (9/30/21) or the calendar year. He also said if we have enough vaccines for everyone who wants one by April that would be a game changer.

seabreezept813

When I joined the Navy at age 17 (I was in college since age 16 but got bored and joined, got my degrees later) . I attended boot camp up in Great Lakes Naval Training Camp (North Chicago). 70+ recruits in my company. No music was allowed, cigarettes were given out for free. I did not smoke before joining the service. But when I wanted to get a soda in the small break room during our smoke breaks. I learned that a cigarette with a filter in it in my mouth was much better than breathing the second hand smoke of 70+ recruits. I quit my very short time of smoking after boot camp. I do not think the military gives out free cigarettes in boot camp anymore, and do wonder if the breaks are still called smoke breaks.
That’s actually why I smoked when I was younger.. not military but I worked in a restaurant and it was a way to take outdoor breaks and socialize. And I was a kid who grew up with DARE so I definitely knew better. My one positive is it makes me empathize with smokers as I still miss it even thought I quit like 10 years ago.

Disney Experience

That’s actually why I smoked when I was younger.. not military but I worked in a restaurant and it was a way to take outdoor breaks and socialize. And I was a kid who grew up with DARE so I definitely knew better. My one positive is it makes me empathize with smokers as I still miss it even thought I quit like 10 years ago.
The interesting think about people in the food industry is that many smoke. It amazes even those culinary experts who rely on their ability to taste/smell that many of them smoke (and thereby decreasing their ability to taste/smell). But it can be a stressful job, and once hooked it is hard to quit.

Polkadotdress

"Walmart has opened up vaccination appointments to people under 65 who are deemed highly vulnerable to COVID-19, a group eager for the vaccine, but who had previously been largely unable to get doses in Florida as Gov. Ron DeSantis stressed a “seniors first” approach."

"Speaking this week in Jacksonville, DeSantis said he “absolutely” wanted to enable hospitals to vaccinate people younger than 65 who have comorbidities, such as cancer patients, but seemed to explicitly rule out retailers taking on that role.

“Really, it’s either got to be in a doctor’s office or in a hospital for that to be done,” he said. “I would hate to have a place like Publix, where someone comes in and they’re 35 and they say they have a comorbidity, and then Walmart or Publix has to referee that.”

But when Walmart began booking appointments on its own portal this week, it listed among eligible recipients, “Florida resident deemed to be extremely vulnerable to COVID-19 by hospital providers.” It also lists Florida residents who are 65 and older, who live or work in a long term care facility and health care workers who provide direct care to patients.

Walmart representatives didn’t immediately comment on the company’s approach to administering the vaccine program."

So....I am one of those high-risk people -65 that was able to get an appointment. They have not (yet) cancelled it. I felt like I had won the lottery when I was able to get into the system without being disqualified, and I was able to select what my high-risk factors are.
So the question is does Walmart accept a "note" from a hospital? Do they verify it? Seems like it brings back the problem that was trying to be avoided by having hospitals do those exceptions.
I called, after I had booked the appointment, and they said "We are not the medical police, so you don't need to bring anything." I am still going to bring a letter from my doc, as well as my medical file.

We'll see what happens...

Disney Experience

Covid vaccines in pill form are starting to progress in trials (Not Phase 3)

Example:

Edit: added the following links (and press releases) talking about phase 1 results.

Last edited:

dreday3

I don't think HHN and Not So Scary will happen this year based on more conservative estimates for herd immunity

Disagree. I think a good chance that a smaller/socially distanced/less tickets sold Halloween party can happen with a shorter season. There's no real reason they can't outside of budget issues. The idea actually works perfect for pandemic restrictions.

So in other words, if they want to, they can.

oceanbreeze77

I wonder what would happen if Disney said that people who get vaccinated and prove it will get a nice Mickey Mouse magnet or something. 😏😏😏

I kid I kid.

But not really. We know disney fans love their freebies🤣 (yes, myself included)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom