Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

seascape

Did you join a class action suit last year when they set up check points going into Florida?
I was never prevented from visiting Florida. On the otherhand because my wife was still working she would have had to quarantine for 2 weeks upon her return to work if we came back, so we didn't go. In any case the existing travel restrictions for coming back from Florida are 10 cases per 100,000 average over the past week. Cases in Florida are trending down and hopefully by the end of March will be less than the 10 per hundred thousand and so there will be no bans in April. Those are decisions that are made State by State and not aimed at one State that currently ranks 15th in the US with 36 cases per 100,000 while NY and New Jersey are 44 and 43 respectively. Why not ban travel to areas controlled by Cuomo and Murphy with highers cases than Florida.

DisneyCane

The Constitution's Commerce Clause has given Congress a lot of power in regulating interstate travel. If they create a law regarding interstate travel and give the President or one of the Federal agencies the authority to regulate and enforce whatever they enacted, then, theoretically, the President or an Agency can regulate interstate travel within the parameters of that Act, unless SCOTUS overrules all or part of that act as an overreach.

Whether there is such an Act that grants the Federal government such powers to ban travel to/from hotspot states that SCOTUS is OK with and the Biden administration wants to enact... that's all debatable.

However, I'd like to point out that the **idea** of banning interstate travel (or at least imposing onerous two week quarantines without proof they were infected) was the brainchild of one Governor DeSantis as he tried to keep out people from the Tri-State area from Florida.

It's strange he doesn't like the idea of the Federal government picking up his worthy ideas!!!
Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce, not travel.

To regulate Commerce with foreign Nations, and among the several States, and with the Indian Tribes;

The only constitutional authority which can be interpreted to allow any kind of travel restrictions would be Section 8 where it states:

provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States

but Congress certainly doesn't have "a lot of power in regulating insterstate travel," especially in regards to preventing people from interstate movement. If Congress had a lot of power in regulating interstate travel, they would have installed toll booths at all of the State borders a century ago!

seabreezept813

Is there really any benefit to adding a surgical mask over a kn95?
We were trained to wear a mask over the kn95 by our school nurse. So I just use the ones the school provides for us. But in all the paperwork we were given we were advised to have one mask over the kn95. I think it's because we have to use one mask for 4 separate wearing occasions so by putting one over it it's less likely to get contaminated. It's about supply issues. So I have a kn95 Monday mask that when I take it off it goes in a lunch bag and airs out and gets worn the following Monday. And then I get a fresh supply each month.

Heppenheimer

Supposedly... and please take this with the largest grain of salt... Vermont is now considering relaxing the mandatory travel quarantines for people who are fully vaccinated. I have absolutely no details or even anything other than 2nd-hand rumor that this is currently under discussion.

But if Vermont is discussing it, when only 13% of our population has received at least one dose of the vaccine, surely other state health departments have begun similar conversations.

DisneyCane

We were trained to wear a mask over the kn95 by our school nurse. So I just use the ones the school provides for us. But in all the paperwork we were given we were advised to have one mask over the kn95. I think it's because we have to use one mask for 4 separate wearing occasions so by putting one over it it's less likely to get contaminated. It's about supply issues. So I have a kn95 Monday mask that when I take it off it goes in a lunch bag and airs out and gets worn the following Monday. And then I get a fresh supply each month.
Based upon the link I posted from the CDC, for re-use, it probably has more to do with the elastic bands and the strength of the seal than the contamination.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The one difference though, no one was ever BANNED from entering Florida. They just had to quarantine.

This report that came out (which we now know was false) was saying people would actually be banned from entering the state.
Except it never actually said that either. Nowhere in the actual news story did anyone say people would be banned from entering the state.

Tony the Tigger

I was never prevented from visiting Florida. On the otherhand because my wife was still working she would have had to quarantine for 2 weeks upon her return to work if we came back, so we didn't go. In any case the existing travel restrictions for coming back from Florida are 10 cases per 100,000 average over the past week. Cases in Florida are trending down and hopefully by the end of March will be less than the 10 per hundred thousand and so there will be no bans in April. Those are decisions that are made State by State and not aimed at one State that currently ranks 15th in the US with 36 cases per 100,000 while NY and New Jersey are 44 and 43 respectively. Why not ban travel to areas controlled by Cuomo and Murphy with highers cases than Florida.
DeSantis isn’t doing anything right, unless he controls the weather.

First, the main reason for drop-off everywhere is the holiday spike has run its course.

I presume the vaccine is helping a bit also.

But the advantage Florida has, regardless of Governor, is being largely able to avoid the winter temperatures faced by most other states. Those temps push people indoors with less ventilation, encouraging spread.

Florida is still able to offer routine outdoor dining, outdoor activities, and businesses can leave doors or windows open for extra ventilation.

DeSantis isn’t even trying to prevent deaths; he gets no credit.

Polkadotdress

They used travel bans against Trump now there increasing them.

Who are the 'they'? And what exactly was being banned?
I believe the "they" refers to the democrats, who did not agree with the travel ban for Muslim countries at the beginning of his presidency, therefore it's hypocritical to those on the right that travel bans would be considered by the democratic president in our own country.

*Note: Not taking his side, merely explaining.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Ya he’s been known to be wrong. But judging that the rollout has been picking up to a almost adequate speed, I’ll take his word for it
Over in the non-political vaccine thread, tracking the production of vaccines confirms Fauci's take...

K, thanks.

Update...

Here's what I got so far (in millions):
  • Pfizer: 300 doses (150 people vaccinated). End of March, 120 doses. End of May (originally end of June), 100 doses. End of Summer, 100 doses.
  • Moderna: 300 doses (150 people vaccinated). End of March, 100 doses. End of May (originally end of June), 100 doses. End of Summer, 100 doses.
  • Astrazeneca/Oxford: 150 doses (75 people vaccinated). End of May, 75 doses. End of Summer, 75 doses.
  • Novavax: 110 doses (55 people vaccinated). End of May, 110 doses.
  • J&J: 200 doses (an extra 100 was ordered) which is 200 people vaccinated (only 1 dose needed). End of March, 60 doses. End of June, 40 doses. End of Summer, 100 doses.
That is a total of 715 people vaccinated. Twice the population of the U.S.

Timeline in adults vaccinated and percentage of all adults:
  • End of March: 210 adults vaccinated. 68% of all adults.
  • End of May: 280 more adults vaccinated for a total of 490 theoretical adults vaccinated. 159% of all adults.
  • End of Summer: 225 more adults vaccinated for a total of 715 theoretical adults vaccinated. 231% of all adults.

We could hit herd immunity by the end of March. Certainly by the end of April unless the three other vaccines never get approved.

mmascari

I'm a bit confused as I thought what the CDC meant is "layers". Your mask should have at least 2/3 layers (which they've said all along). If people are double-masking, I would think it's because one of their masks is only a single layer?

Same! I am currently wearing a surgical mask under my work-issued 2 ply nose-wire/fabric mask. And surprisingly, I've found that the surgical mask actually adds some stability to the whole thing, such that I'm no longer getting fabric in my mouth.

Win. Win.

Based upon the link I posted from the CDC, for re-use, it probably has more to do with the elastic bands and the strength of the seal than the contamination.

Almost all of the double mask recommendations seem to be more about fit than direct filtration performance. From elastics, to seal, to gapping. Even way way WAY back in the beginning, there were articles about using a surgical mask with something like pantyhose over it. Those never got much traction. Clearly the pantyhose didn't add any filtration, but it did make the mask underneath compress around your face for a better seal.

All of that really means, people should look at the mask they're using, and if it has issues or concerns, determine if any of the issues can be solved by using a second mask at the same time to solve the specific issue. Even when the second mask if used alone wouldn't be any better or just have different issues. Sometimes the sum is greater than the parts.

Congress has the power to regulate interstate commerce, not travel.
Just because it still annoys me 20 years later. How does the US Border Zone and some of it's less restrictive rules come into play?

Certainly, the Border Zone couldn't be used to control access to Kansas. But, all of Florida is in the zone.

I'm not arguing this is right or correct, just that it's an option that could be applied. Plus, I'm still mad about being stopped 20 years ago on I-91 south of White River Junction, Vermont. They had the entire interstate closed for a border check. An action that would cause hours long traffic in most locations but was less than a 10 minute delay in Vermont.

DisneyCane

DeSantis isn’t doing anything right, unless he controls the weather.

First, the main reason for drop-off everywhere is the holiday spike has run its course.

I presume the vaccine is helping a bit also.

But the advantage Florida has, regardless of Governor, is being largely able to avoid the winter temperatures faced by most other states. Those temps push people indoors with less ventilation, encouraging spread.

Florida is still able to offer routine outdoor dining, outdoor activities, and businesses can leave doors or windows open for extra ventilation.

DeSantis isn’t even trying to prevent deaths; he gets no credit.
How is the weather any different in CA? If the weather was a big advantage for FL, CA should have shared that same advantage and not had a much worse winter spike (with more strict mitigation).

danlb_2000

Premium Member
How is the weather any different in CA? If the weather was a big advantage for FL, CA should have shared that same advantage and not had a much worse winter spike (with more strict mitigation).

So Florida had less restrictions and did better, but California had more restrictions and did worse. What did Florida do right that California didn't?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
CA is less humid and you trade in hurricanes for wildfires and mudslides.....oh you meant in relation to Covid? ;)

It’s been pretty well established now that the new variant in CA is at least partially responsible for the spike in cases. More contagious variant similar to the UK variant but not the same. I think some people are starting to fear that happens in FL too if the UK variant becomes the primary strain circulating.

DisneyCane

So Florida had less restrictions and did better, but California had more restrictions and did worse. What did Florida do right that California didn't?
My opinion what was done right is not going for more restrictions. Florida had a flatter curve of the winter spike. It went up slower to a lower peak and is coming down slower. Overall it is probably similar totals just a different shape unless you do full, real lockdowns which suppress the spread significantly during the lockdown at the expense of the entire population.

Pretty much, short of lockdowns the virus is going to do what viruses do and the level of spread will be largely dependent on the variant. This is based on operating under social distancing and sanitation protocols as is being done in the vast majority of Florida.

CA is less humid and you trade in hurricanes for wildfires and mudslides.....oh you meant in relation to Covid? ;)

It’s been pretty well established now that the new variant in CA is at least partially responsible for the spike in cases. More contagious variant similar to the UK variant but not the same. I think some people are starting to fear that happens in FL too if the UK variant becomes the primary strain circulating.

I guess the topography is quite different as well. I agree that the variant in CA probably led to the outbreak being so bad despite the restrictions. Hopefully the race to vaccinate the most vulnerable to serious illness and death before the UK variant (or similar) spreads like wildfire. I guess one advantage FL has is that close to 20% of the population has probably already had COVID (documented cases are around 8% but we know there are a lot of undetected infections) and will have natural immunity to slow the spread of a variant like that.

DisneyCane

Ya he’s been known to be wrong. But judging that the rollout has been picking up to a almost adequate speed, I’ll take his word for it
He said both things at the same time. That vaccinations would be open to all in April and that it would probably take through the summer to vaccinate everybody. It's the eligible vs. able to get a shot distinction.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 174 new reported deaths, along with 6 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.27.51 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.28.03 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.28.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-11 at 2.27.38 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom