Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

sullyinMT

Yes. The rumor wasn’t specific to FL. It mentioned both FL and CA as potential places with a higher level of variant.

If the government requires a negative Covid test to fly domestically then I see no reason why they couldn’t make an exemption for anyone who was vaccinated. The only practical way to do this would be to setup rapid test sites at the airports. Then when you show up you either show proof of vaccination or proof of a negative test to get through security. Nobody is being denied a product or service. You can get the vaccine and fly no issue. If you choose not to get the vaccine you get tested and you still can fly. The only person denied would be someone who tested positive (who shouldn’t be flying) or someone who refuses to get tested.

I don’t think it will actually come to that point yet, but could get there this summer if cases aren’t low enough but the majority of people are vaccinated. Hopefully we get to 80%+ vaccinated and it’s all just an academic debate.
This is a real rub for me (and I'm sure others who live in similar areas). PCR testing is still a pain in the neck to secure unless you're symptomatic or identified by the (near non-existent outside of schools) county contact tracing program. I'd gladly submit to and pay for testing to board a plane knowing my fellow fliers were similarly tested. It's just a near impossibility right now. It's also why I think Dr Walensky has stopped short of implementing blanket testing requirements when she brings up language like "insomuch as testing is available it's the best step forward."

cmwade77

This wouldn't be denying service, however. Either test/quarantine, or be within time parameters for being fully vaccinWhich makes now a ated.

This, coupled with the anticipated April timeline laid out by Dr. Fauci and a few state outlets, means adults 16+ could be vaccinated for their summer travel plans without additional testing or requirements. There won't be a vaccine = mask free transport or similar until transmission and community spread warrant.

As I and others have assumed, the three month timeline for the exemption is likely to be extended as data permits. Also, kids 12+ may be cleared for vaccination by May or thereabouts. If all of this pans out to be true, August before schools go back could be a real mess of people "waiting it out" to take vacations with their adolescents.
Which makes now an excellent time to take a vacation if you don't have kids and may in the long run help lighten up the mess long run.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My point was CA up until this past week or so (which you quoted) was doing worse then FL and approaching April New york proportions, yet had the same "advantage" as Florida; warm weather. I'm not exonerating Florida as a whole, I think for example, the Super Bowl having 18k unvaccinated attendees, having a big boat parade to celebrate, and the pregame experiences near congested downtown, were dumb ideas. If anything, I am trying to say it puzzles me why Florida didn't surge as bad as Cali did despite looser restrictions and more idiotic behavior. If that SB was in Cali, they probably would have only allowed the 7500 vaccinated workers, if at all.
CA‘s surge was based at least partially on a variant. That’s been well documented and already discussed here.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is a real rub for me (and I'm sure others who live in similar areas). PCR testing is still a pain in the neck to secure unless you're symptomatic or identified by the (near non-existent outside of schools) county contact tracing program. I'd gladly submit to and pay for testing to board a plane knowing my fellow fliers were similarly tested. It's just a near impossibility right now. It's also why I think Dr Walensky has stopped short of implementing blanket testing requirements when she brings up language like "insomuch as testing is available it's the best step forward."
It won’t be tomorrow.

SamusAranX

Testing at airports for domestic travel, and/or requiring tests from other provider(s) within 72 hours would virtually ensure the implosion of the already smoldering ruins of the airline industry.

Animal_Kingdom_09

However, I'd like to point out that the **idea** of banning interstate travel (or at least imposing onerous two week quarantines without proof they were infected) was the brainchild of one Governor DeSantis as he tried to keep out people from the Tri-State area from Florida.

I don't think that it started with DeSantis. Florida set up the checkpoints right around the beginning of April, but Hawaii's Governor Ige started their mandatory quarantine around the middle of March, if I remember correctly. Hawaii has been much more restrictive than Florida since the beginning.

cmwade77

There is some talk of requiring tests for a domestic flight. Whether that happens or not is still up in the air. If it does happen it won’t be tomorrow. There is time to setup the systems. I don’t know of anywhere right now that you can’t get a Covid test pretty much on the spot. The only issue is the timing of the results. The rapid test results come back pretty fast. It’s also possible they allow a test from the last 48 hours like some states did this summer to get out of quarantining.

The travel ban trial balloon as you are describing is a fantasy. Nobody in the government suggested singling out FL. If you actually take the time to read what was said it included both FL and CA. The political pundits chose to make it about Biden punishing the Trump clone governor of FL but that‘s not what the actual rumor was. Just typical political nonsense. Here‘s an actual article:

There actually are a lot of places where you can get a COVID test on the spot right now, especially the rapid test, including at Disney World. Some places even have PCR tests with results in as little as an hour, you do pay for that kind of speed, but they are available.

Now if the FDA would get off their rear ends and approve one of the breathalyzer tests that have been developed that have up to a 99% accuracy with fewer false positives and negatives than even the PCR tests and can return results in under 30 seconds, then we could quite easily have that setup as you are going through security.

sullyinMT

It won’t be tomorrow.
Agree 100%. Just pointing out it's not as "on the spot" in non-major metros as we'd like to believe. All four "major" airports in MT would have passengers that would grossly overwhelm the available labs. There are countless "feeder airports" in flyover country that would be similar.

I don't doubt the soundness of such a plan, but the infrastructure needs to be in place before the rules take effect. It's also why a vaccine exemption makes sense. Just as an example, my family of four would be cut to two tests just by making that exemption. That goes to one as soon as 12+ gets approved. As we get more and more people vaccinated (almost 4% of the eligible population right now), and as airlines like United and American secure verification partners, I'd assume by April if not sooner we'll be flying tested or inoculated.

Just to clarify, I have no current dog in this fight unless cruises resume by November (which I think is a long shot).

Animal_Kingdom_09

So Florida had less restrictions and did better, but California had more restrictions and did worse. What did Florida do right that California didn't?

Population density gets my vote. Florida is mostly rural. The entire Miami-Fort Lauderdale corridor would be a small suburb in the Los Angeles region.

Mark52479

Except it never actually said that either. Nowhere in the actual news story did anyone say people would be banned from entering the state.
the 2 major disney blogs said the word "ban" in their articles. That is were i was basing my info off of

"With the COVID-19 “UK Variant” cases accounting for up to 15% of new cases in Florida, the Biden administration is reportedly considering banning travel to the Sunshine State.

The travel ban is one of several options proposed to curb the spread of COVID-19 and the so-called variants"

Google search and u will find the rest of the article

TrainsOfDisney

the 2 major disney blogs said the word "ban" in their articles. That is were i was basing my info off of

"With the COVID-19 “UK Variant” cases accounting for up to 15% of new cases in Florida, the Biden administration is reportedly considering banning travel to the Sunshine State.

The travel ban is one of several options proposed to curb the spread of COVID-19 and the so-called variants"

Who cares what bloggers say?

GoofGoof

Premium Member

So the hysteria over this story is largely based on someone taking a story out of context. The actual story, which I attached earlier has the actual quotes from the government sources.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agree 100%. Just pointing out it's not as "on the spot" in non-major metros as we'd like to believe. All four "major" airports in MT would have passengers that would grossly overwhelm the available labs. There are countless "feeder airports" in flyover country that would be similar.

I don't doubt the soundness of such a plan, but the infrastructure needs to be in place before the rules take effect. It's also why a vaccine exemption makes sense. Just as an example, my family of four would be cut to two tests just by making that exemption. That goes to one as soon as 12+ gets approved. As we get more and more people vaccinated (almost 4% of the eligible population right now), and as airlines like United and American secure verification partners, I'd assume by April if not sooner we'll be flying tested or inoculated.

Just to clarify, I have no current dog in this fight unless cruises resume by November (which I think is a long shot).
My gut feeling is this is all part of Plan B. Plan A still remains short term mitigation and vaccines. If enough people get the vaccine by May/June it’s not going to matter. There will be no point in requiring a negative test to fly or proof of vaccination for most things. Case numbers will dictate that it’s unnecessary. If we get to the summer and cases haven’t dropped and let’s say only 50-60% are vaccinated instead of the 80%+ we hoped for then maybe plan B comes in. Then you make it required to either test negative or be vaccinated to fly. Acts as an incentive to get more people vaccinated and also cuts down on cross state infections. The hope is we never get to plan B but the government needs to plan for it just in case.

The other reason a domestic flight test plan could be implemented is an upswing in cases due to variants. Instead of grounding all domestic flights to cut spread you allow people to fly but they need to get tested. It’s a potential plan to keep airlines and tourist spots in business even if it means reducing the number of passengers willing to fly. The other alternative is to stick our heads in the sand and do nothing and do it in the name of the economy, but I think it’s wise to at least consider alternatives to full surrender and allowing the variants to take over here. Again, like the plan B for the summer the hope is we never need to do this, but it’s always better to explore options.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom