Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I posed this in the Vaccine thread as well: did the other 2 approved vaccines and any other to come do this testing as well. Was Astra the only one to think of this?

I don't believe the other two companies tested for this. It's tricky because they aren't actually measuring transmission, they are doing regular PCR tests on the people in the trial to look for a reduction in the viral load which indirectly shows that it should reduce transmission.

jmp85

Seems a few days longer. Pfizer applied for EUA 11/20 and had their panel meeting 12/10 so 20 days. Moderna applied for EUA Nov 30 and had their panel meeting 12/17 so 17 days. This one is 22 days later. Same ballpark, but slightly longer.

Longer by a few days compared to the other two. They just talked about it on CNBC. There was some early criticism of the timeline.

havoc315

Longer by a few days compared to the other two. They just talked about it on CNBC. There was some early criticism of the timeline.

Won't really matter. J&J is behind on production... a quick approval wouldn't lead to a huge release of vaccine supply. Supposedly, they will have under 10 million doses ready by the end of the month. So an extra week or 2 will just give them a chance to build up a bit more inventory.

We are at 1.3 million shots per day in the US... Just the addition of J&J, 10-20 million per month, will get that up to 1.6-1.9 million per day, by mid March with the J&J only requiring one dose. At that pace, we should have a large portion of the population vaccinated by July. Maybe not enough to get rid of Covid, but enough to make a big difference. There is a good chance we will be able to add additional vaccines (AstraZeneca and/or Novavax) by April... hopefully pushing us over 2.5 million shots per day by May.

At some point, the issue won't be lack of vaccines -- It will be too many anti-vaxxers refusing to get the vaccine. I don't know when we will get to that point, or what percentage of the population it will be. But it wouldn't surprise me if by June/July, we get 50-60% of the adult population vaccinated, with the remainder hesitant to get the vaccine.

havoc315

I don't believe the other two companies tested for this. It's tricky because they aren't actually measuring transmission, they are doing regular PCR tests on the people in the trial to look for a reduction in the viral load which indirectly shows that it should reduce transmission.

Yes they did. Yes, they reduce transmission. But the data is still early.. for all of them.

Heppenheimer

Won't really matter. J&J is behind on production... a quick approval wouldn't lead to a huge release of vaccine supply. Supposedly, they will have under 10 million doses ready by the end of the month. So an extra week or 2 will just give them a chance to build up a bit more inventory.

We are at 1.3 million shots per day in the US... Just the addition of J&J, 10-20 million per month, will get that up to 1.6-1.9 million per day, by mid March with the J&J only requiring one dose. At that pace, we should have a large portion of the population vaccinated by July. Maybe not enough to get rid of Covid, but enough to make a big difference. There is a good chance we will be able to add additional vaccines (AstraZeneca and/or Novavax) by April... hopefully pushing us over 2.5 million shots per day by May.

At some point, the issue won't be lack of vaccines -- It will be too many anti-vaxxers refusing to get the vaccine. I don't know when we will get to that point, or what percentage of the population it will be. But it wouldn't surprise me if by June/July, we get 50-60% of the adult population vaccinated, with the remainder hesitant to get the vaccine.
Now that people aren't dropping dead left and right from the vaccine or growing a pair of horns, their arguments have shifted from "The vaccines were too rushed!" to "Not enough people were tested!" to "Big pharma just wants to make money!" to "I won't be a guinea pig" to "We don't know the long term side effects!" (Had this progression of conversation with my MIL...). And always, "Do your own research" (using a search engine whose algorithm is designed to give you the results it thinks you want, not the most accurate, well-vetted or on-point results).

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That is nice but is it necessary?
It would be nice that when the numbers get low enough that we can do contact tracing, we have the rapid tests available.

Also, it's in the US's interest to quell this virus worldwide before a variant strain develops that is resistant to our vaccines. By August, the rest of the world will still need such tests and it would behoove us to help them.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Now that people aren't dropping dead left and right from the vaccine or growing a pair of horns, their arguments have shifted from "The vaccines were too rushed!" to "Not enough people were tested!" to "Big pharma just wants to make money!" to "I won't be a guinea pig" to "We don't know the long term side effects!" (Had this progression of conversation with my MIL...). And always, "Do your own research" (using a search engine whose algorithm is designed to give you the results it thinks you want, not the most accurate, well-vetted or on-point results).
I am surprised I haven't seen anyone one trying to use the Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System data to support their anti-vax case. Stuff in there is a little scary if you don't know what you are looking at.

havoc315

We have cultivated in the US, a portion of the population that is simply anti-science, anti-"elite", anti-establishment.
If scientists and the government and experts say to do something: They see it as reason to do the opposite.

Those who simply refuse to wear masks, viewing it as some form of government oppression. Who dismiss all mainstream news as fake.
This portion of the population can't be relied upon to get the vaccine.

Nubs70

We have cultivated in the US, a portion of the population that is simply anti-science, anti-"elite", anti-establishment.
If scientists and the government and experts say to do something: They see it as reason to do the opposite.

Those who simply refuse to wear masks, viewing it as some form of government oppression. Who dismiss all mainstream news as fake.
This portion of the population can't be relied upon to get the vaccine.
I see it as a combination of government message delivery and scientific ignorance.

The government says thou shall without trying to convince the populace. There is no voluntary persuasion. Voluntary Persuasion being explaining the argument to the individual then the individual voluntarily coming to the conclusion.

Scientific Ignorance in percentages. If a vaccine is 92% effective, the vaccine is also 8% ineffective. That means, if all 350MM US citizens are vaccinated, the vaccine will be ineffective for 28MM people.

GoofGoof

Premium Member

If we believe the manufacturers are going to meet their targets, by July 1 at the latest we should have 100M doses of JnJ for 100M people and also 400M doses of Pfizer and Moderna combined for 200M people. That’s 300M people vaccinated and by July 1 there will likely not be more than 280M Americans approved since under 12 won’t be authorized yet.

In an even more optimistic view, Pfizer says their 200M will be delivered by the end of May now instead of June, JnJ alluded to having their 100M by end of April or May at the latest and Moderna said they are on track for Q1 and Q2 deliveries. Assuming an even rollout for Moderna we should have at least 160M doses by May 31 with the last 40M coming in June. Based on that timeline by May 31 we should have enough doses for 280M Americans or every man, woman and child over 11 years old. That doesn‘t include Novavax or AstraZenneca if they get approved some time before May 31.

I agree that the time is coming soon where the biggest challenge will be finding people to take the vaccine instead of finding doses to meet the demand.

Disney Experience

Forgive me if this has been posted already, but this is an interesting take from @Eddie Sotto on potential tech that parks might take advantage of, particularly the breathalyzer digital testing...

One of the breathalyzer style testing device that is being tested is from:

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 210 new reported deaths, along with 5 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 3.14.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 3.15.10 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 3.15.20 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-05 at 3.14.49 PM.png

Disney Experience

Seeing the number of first dose and second dose in the chart above got me thinking on a minor detail on shot allocation and reservations.

If total shots delivered remains relatively constant (and it won't it will increase) then one effect of the two shot regime is that the number of slots for first dose will oscillate due to a feedback loop caused by the people needing the second shot. (Example: If there are a 100 shots available every week and if on one week 70 people get their first shot, then when they need the second shot there will only be 30 shots to give out for first shots. Then when those people get their second shot there will be 70 doses available for first shots. It will yoyo back and forth if total shots do not increase. Only impact is that some weeks people will have more slots to get their first shot then in other weeks,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom