Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"The Government of Canada continues to monitor the evolving COVID-19 pandemic and the impact it is having on the marine and tourism sectors. Keeping Canadians and transportation workers safe and healthy are top priorities for Transport Canada.

Today, the Minister of Transport, the Honourable Omar Alghabra, announced two new Interim Orders, which prohibit pleasure craft in Canadian Arctic waters and cruise vessels in all Canadian waters until February 28, 2022. This means:
  • Adventure-seeking pleasure craft are still prohibited from entering Arctic waters.
  • Passenger vessels carrying more than 12 people are still prohibited from entering Arctic coastal waters, including Nunatsiavut, Nunavik, and the Labrador Coast.
  • Cruise vessels carrying more than 100 people are still prohibited from operating in Canadian waters."

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 3.50.59 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-02-04 at 3.51.13 PM.png

Stitch826

Saw this on the news tonight so I went to find it on Twitter. The owner was interviewed on the news with him telling the reporters that mask don’t work.. anyone is allowed in his store without a mask.. and.. no one can tell me that 400,000 thousand people died and nobody can convince him of those lies. And we still sit here and wonder why we can’t get things better quicker.

Is there a mask mandate in that area? If so, why hasn’t the health department shut the business down yet?

Disney Experience

Is there a mask mandate in that area? If so, why hasn’t the health department shut the business down yet?
Yes the county (One of the richest in the country with about 9% of the population being millionaires and many Fortune 500 retired CEO in residence) has a mandate.
The store is trying to claim :

A) Masks must be worn, unless you are medically exempt.
B) They cannot ask you about your medical exemption, therefore they must assume you are exempt.

The store is located in Collier County, which has a mask mandate requiring face coverings to be worn in public until April 13.

The Oakes Farms store does require masks to be worn, but a sign outside the store states, "If you have a medical condition that prevents you from wearing a mask, you are exempt."

"We cannot legally ask you about your medical condition," the sign says, according to Brock.

Brock interviewed Alfie Oakes, the owner of Oakes Farms, who doesn't believe that face masks stop the spread of the coronavirus.

The owner of the supermarket, Alfie Oakes, filed a federal lawsuit in November challenging the constitutionality of the county’s mask order, the Naples Daily News reported.
They are not winning in the courts by the report of the case.
The lawsuit was thrown out of court by a Federal Judge Wednesday.

JoeCamel

Yes the county (One of the richest in the country with about 9% of the population being millionaires and many Fortune 500 retired CEO in residence) has a mandate.

B) They cannot ask you about your medical exemption, therefore they must assume you are exempt.

Wow, as an owner I would have to follow the rules to keep the doors open and all those people employed and as an employee I would want the same for health of the business. Getting the doors shut because masks seems a little koo koo to me.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
Wow, as an owner I would have to follow the rules to keep the doors open and all those people employed and as an employee I would want the same for health of the business. Getting the doors shut because masks seems a little koo koo to me.
I never knew there were so many hills to die on for such selfishness. More than the actual ones where people are literally dying.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"Johnson & Johnson applied for an emergency use authorization from the Food and Drug Administration for its coronavirus vaccine after releasing data last week showing it was about 66% effective in protecting against the virus.

If J&J’s application is approved, it would be the third Covid-19 vaccine authorized for emergency use in the U.S. behind vaccines developed by Pfizer-BioNTech and Moderna. Pfizer’s vaccine was authorized by the FDA on Dec. 11, and Moderna’s was authorized a week later."

Chi84

Premium Member
Does the Florida order mandating masks provide for shutting down a business for noncompliance? In my state a business that doesn’t comply gets a warning, then if they still don’t comply customers can be “asked” to leave for public health reasons, and if that doesn’t work they can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor and fined up to $2,500.

Disney Experience

Does the Florida order mandating masks provide for shutting down a business for noncompliance? In my state a business that doesn’t comply gets a warning, then if they still don’t comply customers can be “asked” to leave for public health reasons, and if that doesn’t work they can be charged with a Class A misdemeanor and fined up to $2,500.
There is no state mandate, it is left to localities. In this case there is a county mandate.

The public must report violators of the mask mandate to code enforcement. There are no criminal charges involved for violations.

Although business must follow the mask mandate, there is an exception for businesses that can allow visitors to social distance.

JoeCamel

There is no state mandate, it is left to localities. In this case there is a county mandate.

Outsiders will not understand what "season" means to the locals

ETA: and I watch NBC news this is the second lead story - Floriduh

Chi84

Premium Member
The mandate relies on the public to report violators, provides an exception for businesses that can maintain social distancing and has no criminal penalties. I have a feeling that people vastly overestimate enforcement of mask mandates. Thankfully most businesses are voluntarily complying.

JoeCamel

The mandate relies on the public to report violators, provides an exception for businesses that can maintain social distancing and has no criminal penalties. I have a feeling that people vastly overestimate enforcement of mask mandates. Thankfully most businesses are voluntarily complying.
Well yeah but it sends a message this is the correct thing and has been proven to be what is necessary. When the majority agree on a course of action it tends to be for their good and not to hurt themselves

techgeek

ETA: and I watch NBC news this is the second lead story - Floriduh

As soon as I saw ‘Naples’, I already knew exactly how the rest of the story was going to read.

It’s come up time and time again on this thread... but the seriousness by which Covid is taken here in Florida varies dramatically by region, county, and local demographics sometimes down to the street level. It wasn’t surprising this story came out of Naples, but honestly it could have happened almost anywhere in the state. Even in Orlando, the city and county have repeatedly looked the other way and been generally relaxed with action against local bars and establishments that have played it loose with enforcing mask compliance. There’s no support from the state level to back them up, they have no real resources to inspect and enforce, and even if they did their hands are tied.

Rich Brownn

Technically the way the ADA works is basically a feasible alternative must be made when possible. They could refuse to admit people wearing a mask and offer to shop for them if they have a medical condition. The important part of the ADA is that if no reasonable accommodation can be met and it can potential hurt others than can still legally refuse entry. The ADA does not require you to endanger other people's health to accommodate the person.

MrHappy

Some evidence that vaccines(AstraZeneca in this case) inhibit transmission [Not to be confused with vaccine protecting people from symptomatic covid. Papers and articles cover both subjects. ].

Lancet:

AP:
I posed this in the Vaccine thread as well: did the other 2 approved vaccines and any other to come do this testing as well. Was Astra the only one to think of this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom