Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lirael

One side of me hopes that this virus can be contained but another side of me wants Disney discounts....
I'm also hoping for that edge where everyone else is panicking enough not to go to Disney but it's safe (aka, airlines arent cancelling, hotels arent cancelling, disney isn't closing, I'm not being put in quarantine on the way back etc)

ELG13

I work directly with people in China every day. I see them and speak to them. I feel that the new cases are going down because they have all be quarantined in their houses for the last 4 weeks (give or take). They shut down travel during what I would equate to our Christmas season (their new years). Can you imagine canceling Christmas here? It would NEVER happen. Even with those precautions, the cases grew tremendously until recently. It's taken several weeks for that move to start paying off. If that is what it takes then I think we need to get ahead of it. Be proactive and not reactive. I'm borderline worried/not worried. The unknown origin cases are what concern me the most. That shows that there is an infected person (or people) that are asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic contaminating areas. I'm not so worried about the general population as I am the older, and immunocompromised. If we can get ahead of it and saves lives then it's worth it... Of course only if that means I'm still able to go on my trip in May 😉

ELG13

I wonder if the parks were to close for a substantial amount of time, would construction and maintenance continue? It would be terrible, of course, but they could spend a good amount of time on getting RotR in better shape and all the Epcot work, even being able to do heavy construction and demolition during the day. Have they been working on Zootopia at SDL these last months?
It wouldn't be the worst idea. I mean, you would have a controlled group of people coming and going that you could monitor ....it's very different that having parks, restaurants and shops filled with thousands of people coughing, sneezing and touching things all in close proximity to each other.

Overlordkitty

That's common for normal PTO with new hires, but I'd have a hard time believing there would be a penalty for sick time.

uh .. or change it?

With the last three companies I worked for, two call outs in the first 90 days, no matter the reason, is supposed to result in termination.

As a manager in food service, I refuse to write people up for truly being sick even if policy says I'm supposed to. They have plenty of other opportunities to screw up, but I'm sick of the double standard that we are supposed to send people home if they are ill, but then punish them for doing the correct thing.

ELG13

I'm also hoping for that edge where everyone else is panicking enough not to go to Disney but it's safe (aka, airlines arent cancelling, hotels arent cancelling, disney isn't closing, I'm not being put in quarantine on the way back etc)
I hope they don't shut down also...when they did for the hurricane two years ago and then scrambled to move those people to new dates....yikes ...what a cluster. But I don't think I would be too mad considering the reason behind it if they did. I'm on the fence with it all!!

RobWDW1971

It's mere speculation, but I'm guessing Orlando parks will stay on track unless the number of infected in Florida reaches 30+ or the overall USA number goes over 1k. I don't think the parks will close if crowds lower, they'll simply release discounts and me, myself and I disney nuts will come running.
In 2009, in the US, 12,500 people died of Swine Flu - remind me how long the parks were closed again?

Last edited:

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
With the last three companies I worked for, two call outs in the first 90 days, no matter the reason, is supposed to result in termination.

As a manager in food service, I refuse to write people up for truly being sick even if policy says I'm supposed to. They have plenty of other opportunities to screw up, but I'm sick of the double standard that we are supposed to send people home if they are ill, but then punish them for doing the correct thing.

Those policies are almost always the manager's discretion and are really only there to help managers have an excuse to get rid of people they don't want. Personally, I'd put my job on the line to avoid enforcing a draconian policy like that.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

So actually looking for sound advice?

You see, we go to WDW twice per year. DVC with APs. We live in MI.

Getting concerned about our APR 2020 trip - a combination of the fact that we Fly in, and concern about being able to GET BACK :(.
If we had to? We're equipped to wear great N95 masks in the parks. Could even handle face shields & gloves :). Bringing 70% Isopropanol, and Chlorox wipes. WDW is not so much our concern: The AIRLINES are :(.

Our nightmare: We can fly IN, but we can't get OUT :(. Let's just refer to this as the "Roach Motel Scenario" :(. Similar to what has occurred with cruise lines, and overseas airline service)...

Given that there is now a declared Health Emergency in the State of FL.... what are other folks plans? We could cancel by March 19, and bank our points.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I am aware now that a fair number of very large companies are canceling travel of senior level people to industry and other kinds of meetings that I would describe as "non-essential, but generally thought of as important".

My level of concern that WDW may be closed before my trip scheduled for later this month has just gone up substantively.

The beauty of the 24 hour news cycle. I personally think the level of interest in the story has plateaued. There is nothing new or exciting (the mass deaths aren't materializing, the infections aren't becoming interesting to the media, etc) Within 2 weeks the stories for CV-19 will be more infrequent and the media generated panic will subside, along with the closures, cancelations, groundings, etc.

We've seen this movie before, it's the same thing that happened with Zika, Swine Flu, MERS, SARS, etc.

RobWDW1971

I could be off base but the mainstream media had a good relationship with Obama who was POTUS during Swine. I can't say it is the same lovely feeling with Trump during Corona. Swine surely sound more depressing than the word Corona.
You can make that argument for the US, but the same reaction is being seen all over the world. Clearly the impact of social media is driving this hyperventilating reaction.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
The beauty of the 24 hour news cycle. I personally think the level of interest in the story has plateaued. There is nothing new or exciting (the mass deaths aren't materializing, the infections aren't becoming interesting to the media, etc) Within 2 weeks the stories for CV-19 will be more infrequent and the media generated panic will subside, along with the closures, cancelations, groundings, etc.

We've seen this movie before, it's the same thing that happened with Zika, Swine Flu, MERS, SARS, etc.

I'm just keeping an eye on the santa^H^H^H^H^Hcorona virus tracker.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's mere speculation, but I'm guessing Orlando parks will stay on track unless the number of infected in Florida reaches 30+ or the overall USA number goes over 1k. I don't think the parks will close if crowds lower, they'll simply release discounts and me, myself and I disney nuts will come running.
One side of me hopes that this virus can be contained but another side of me wants Disney discounts....

Well...I wish no ill health on anyone. But Disney needs a knock down on pricing that the customers are too immature to give them. A thousand “mild” cases may stop the increase train.

(I’m kidding...but not really)

Don’t believe the stock market is out of the woods either. They forced an increase today based on assumptions. The Chinese problem is still very real.
In 2009, 12,500 people died of Swine Flu - remind me how long were the parks closed again?
Wait...that was in the US? How many in Orlando or Anaheim? Now that you mention it...I do remember bodies being left for armadillos in the morning on I-Drive 🙄
So actually looking for sound advice?

You see, we go to WDW twice per year. DVC with APs. We live in MI.

Getting concerned about our APR 2020 trip - a combination of the fact that we Fly in, and concern about being able to GET BACK :(.
If we had to? We're equipped to wear great N95 masks in the parks. Could even handle face shields & gloves :). Bringing 70% Isopropanol, and Chlorox wipes. WDW is not so much our concern: The AIRLINES are :(.

Our nightmare: We can fly IN, but we can't get OUT :(. Let's just refer to this as the "Roach Motel Scenario" :(. Similar to what has occurred with cruise lines, and overseas airline service)...

Given that there is now a declared Health Emergency in the State of FL.... what are other folks plans? We could cancel by March 19, and bank our points.
Hold ‘em, Newt...no need to get your head all bogged down with that garbage...yet.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

The type of cancellations I've become aware of today did not happen with Zika, Swine Flu, MERS, and SARS. That doesn't mean necessarily that they are warranted, but the fact that they are happening is different -- it is not the same thing or the same movie, although it may have the same ending.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
The type of cancellations I've become aware of today did not happen with Zika, Swine Flu, MERS, and SARS. That doesn't mean necessarily that they are warranted, but the fact that they are happening is different -- it is not the same thing or the same movie, although it may have the same ending.
They live happily every after.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom