Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

correcaminos

I normally agree with this sentiment, however, this specific variant poses a significant threat to the spike protein. This one should be watched closely.
Being truly serious and kind here, you seem to be very worried about a lot with covid and the vaccine. They've said this every time they spot a variant even in spikes. Every time researchers, not media, come back and say not to worry.
O you have no idea. Today my husband asked me if it’s true that 12 people died from taking the vaccine.. where he saw it I have no idea. But I’m guessing it’s some kind of crazy thing going around in the Brazilian community. This is the type of stuff that will set us back...
I even tried to google this and have no clue what this came from. The one person in the AstraZeneca trial who died didn't even have the vaccine.

hopemax

O you have no idea. Today my husband asked me if it’s true that 12 people died from taking the vaccine.. where he saw it I have no idea. But I’m guessing it’s some kind of crazy thing going around in the Brazilian community. This is the type of stuff that will set us back...
There is a real report about several elderly (80+) patients who were already terminally ill in Norway. I think they are up to 28 people who have died after taking the Pfizer vaccine. 13 with completed autopsies. However, no one in the medical community is that concerned because these were the people that were very close to death already, and there wasn't study data regarding this age/frailty group, so they expected this. Now they are trying to determine which patients can be stabilized enough to vaccinate them or if it is better to just skip the vaccination and let nature take its course for their remaining days/weeks/months.

I am going to go against the "blame the media," narrative a bit. I started following a group of Epi/Virology people early and among themselves they would discuss which journalists they liked to talk to because they really listened to them and felt like their reporting was accurate. So those are the media I have been following. These aren't fringe publications either. NY Times, Washington Post, The Atlantic. But if people have rejected these media outlets for other reasons, that's not on the media, that's on people's biases and prejudices.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 133 new reported deaths, along with 2 Non-Florida Resident deaths.

Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 2.41.18 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 2.41.48 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 2.41.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-01-17 at 2.41.05 PM.png

hopemax

Another comment about "the media." Some "media outlets" have done their viewers/readers extreme disservice about all of this, for sure. The Epi people are frustrated as much as the rest of us to see people like Dr. Atlas, and the rest of the Stanford Research people given a platform to share dangerous misinformation. Or the people who take every call even if it's outside their particular line of expertise and not telling them to call X instead, so bad analysis leaks in. But the specific outlets should be the ones called to task, not broad brush "media." We all have the choice of who we listen to and we need to be aware when we might be listening to someone, because they are saying what aligns with what we already believe or want to be truth and not the reality of the situation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There is a real report about several elderly (80+) patients who were already terminally ill in Norway. I think they are up to 28 people who have died after taking the Pfizer vaccine. 13 with completed autopsies. However, no one in the medical community is that concerned because these were the people that were very close to death already, and there wasn't study data regarding this age/frailty group, so they expected this. Now they are trying to determine which patients can be stabilized enough to vaccinate them or if it is better to just skip the vaccination and let nature take its course for their remaining days/weeks/months.
The vaccine doesn’t make people immortal. People will die after receiving the vaccine, but that doesn‘t mean they died from the vaccine. So far I have not seen a single confirmed death related to a reaction to the vaccine anywhere. Even the one in FL where the guy had a stroke from a clotting issue and died and the family is blaming the vaccine is still under investigation. Even if the vaccine killed 4,000 people that‘s still only one day’s worth of deaths from the Covid infections it is preventing.

GimpYancIent

Another comment about "the media." Some "media outlets" have done their viewers/readers extreme disservice about all of this, for sure. The Epi people are frustrated as much as the rest of us to see people like Dr. Atlas, and the rest of the Stanford Research people given a platform to share dangerous misinformation. Or the people who take every call even if it's outside their particular line of expertise and not telling them to call X instead, so bad analysis leaks in. But the specific outlets should be the ones called to task, not broad brush "media." We all have the choice of who we listen to and we need to be aware when we might be listening to someone, because they are saying what aligns with what we already believe or want to be truth and not the reality of the situation.
There is one truth that has been exposed through all this; PERSONAL AGENDA, everyone has one.

GimpYancIent

The vaccine doesn’t make people immortal. People will die after receiving the vaccine, but that doesn‘t mean they died from the vaccine. So far I have not seen a single confirmed death related to a reaction to the vaccine anywhere. Even the one in FL where the guy had a stroke from a clotting issue and died and the family is blaming the vaccine is still under investigation. Even if the vaccine killed 4,000 people that‘s still only one day’s worth of deaths from the Covid infections it is preventing.
Truth! The vaccine only helps the body to fight off the virus if infected. There are no guarantees.

Jrb1979

When is it OK for me to get on an amusement park ride again in your eyes? What's the metric? What if (as several experts including the CEO of Moderna have said) COVID-19 becomes endemic like the flu and is with us forever? Will it always be shameful to do anything enjoyable?
What I said has nothing to do with Covid. I was replying to the post about doing more to prevent Covid. One of the ways to eat healthier and exercising. So my response was that the walk of shame at an amusement park when you can't fit on a ride.

jmp85

What I said has nothing to do with Covid. I was replying to the post about doing more to prevent Covid. One of the ways to eat healthier and exercising. So my response was that the walk of shame at an amusement park when you can't fit on a ride.
Oh lord, you remind me of the time my buddy received the walk of shame when the overhead harness was too small for him and couldn't close. About 15 years ago at a Six Flags, I felt so bad for the guy.

seabreezept813

Because it isn't going to only be 3 more months. More like 6 best case.
Maybe it’s my New England brain but I see cases going down within the next three months because of the natural spring/summer decline. That brings back more outdoor socializing, dining, etc so we feel less cooped up and meanwhile more and more people are vaccinated. So total normalcy definitely 6 months, but unlike last summer where we had somewhat of a temporary reprieve, we shouldn’t be going back to full spikes and lockdowns. Things should just keep getting better.

Polkadotdress

I’m kinda over the variant thing. New variants have popped up periodically since March. The media has discovered it’s a great story to sensationalize only recently. I think I’m just going to wait until they actually test the vaccine and show it’s ineffective against one of these variants before reacting in any way.
The UK variant is super transmissible, but not more deadly. It’s spread has caused a tremendous vertical spike in UK and Ireland’s daily Covid case graphs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The UK variant is super transmissible, but not more deadly. It’s spread has caused a tremendous vertical spike in UK and Ireland’s daily Covid case graphs.
Yes, but Pfizer and Moderna have both said the variant is not resistant to their vaccines. The big story a few weeks back was that the vaccine may not be effective on the new variant. Turned out not to be the case. Same story surfaced when the S Africa variant was publicized. Now one in Brazil. I am going to wait and see what the manufacturers say about the vaccine before worrying about it not being effective against this new variant.

seabreezept813

Being truly serious and kind here, you seem to be very worried about a lot with covid and the vaccine. They've said this every time they spot a variant even in spikes. Every time researchers, not media, come back and say not to worry.

I even tried to google this and have no clue what this came from. The one person in the AstraZeneca trial who died didn't even have the vaccine.
It’s one of those things that just didn’t even phase me. My husband has heard so much anti-vaccine talk from cousins and friends in the Brazilian community as well as truckers at his company. He’s trying to be the one to offer a more educated perspective, but it’s pretty wild. A lot of these people do not have much of an educated background. I say this without judgment because they have trade skills and work skills I could never match in a thousand lifetimes. The way I see it—it just makes a strong case for a need for widespread community education about vaccines and healthcare in general.

hopemax

Maybe it’s my New England brain but I see cases going down within the next three months because of the natural spring/summer decline. That brings back more outdoor socializing, dining, etc so we feel less cooped up and meanwhile more and more people are vaccinated. So total normalcy definitely 6 months, but unlike last summer where we had somewhat of a temporary reprieve, we shouldn’t be going back to full spikes and lockdowns. Things should just keep getting better.
And in contrast to your New England brain, are the experts that are predicting that the UK variant will become the dominant variant in the US by March, with the negative consequences of a more transmissible variant. The decline we saw last year is not a guarantee because SARS-CoV-2 is not the same as it was last year.

Summer will hopefully be better, but the next couple of months are going to suck, despite the vaccine. Before we see that case decline, we should prepare ourselves for an acceleration/spike and desperate pleas to follow restrictions, first.

DisneyCane

Got it. I misunderstood your post.

Touchdown

And in contrast to your New England brain, are the experts that are predicting that the UK variant will become the dominant variant in the US by March, with the negative consequences of a more transmissible variant. The decline we saw last year is not a guarantee because SARS-CoV-2 is not the same as it was last year.

Summer will hopefully be better, but the next couple of months are going to suck, despite the vaccine. Before we see that case decline, we should prepare ourselves for an acceleration/spike and desperate pleas to follow restrictions, first.
You’re also forgetting the effects of the ongoing vaccination which should also improve things significantly by Summer, especially if we meet or exceed 100M vaccinated by May goal by Pres. Elect Biden.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You’re also forgetting the effects of the ongoing vaccination which should also improve things significantly by Summer, especially if we meet or exceed 100M vaccinated by May goal by Pres. Elect Biden.
Yes, this. Between the end of the second wave, the start of nicer weather and more outdoor activity in a lot of the country and a steady increase In immune people the situation should improve greatly even without full herd immunity. I’m very hopeful for the summer...maybe not full return to normal but much better times ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom