Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And as you said earlier - the more vulnerable populations are getting their vaccines first.
That's huge.
Remove the most vulnerable from the mix, and cases don't become hospitalizations or deaths at nearly the same rate.
That’s the plan. Every Covid stat should start to drop...total positive, percent positive, hospitalizations and deaths. We don’t need to get to zero cases to see a difference in life. There should be a gradual move towards better times ahead. Hopefully that starts soon as the NYE and holiday spike start to drop and people start getting the vaccine. I saw an article today that Israel has about 25% of their population vaccinated and have already seen a sharp drop in cases. 80% is the overall goal but hopefully we see major improvements long before we have 80% of the population vaccinated.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My worry specifically is trying not to get sick, as I am an immuno-suppressed asthmatic, with no opportunity to get the vaccine soon. The new UK variant is super contagious, so EVEN THOUGH the vaccine might still work against it, for those of us who haven't had the vaccine it's a moot point. Trying to weigh out when/if I truly need to lock myself down 100%, as I'm currently still leaving the house daily to go to work.

That's my worry.
No doubt. Things right now are still really bad. I was just referring to the specific post about a 3rd new strain that could be resistant to the vaccine. The new strains are bad news for spread as they seem to be more contagious. The good news is so far at least 2 of the 3 variants talked about are not resistant to the vaccine.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I understand the anxiety. I think we also have to look at the reality a whole new team is coming on deck that a) knows what they are doing, b) is prepared to do it, and c) understands the positive role government can have in this. That’s tremendously hopeful.

I think we also have to take a deep breath and be patient with the vaccination program. Shots are getting into arms and more shots are getting into more arms each week.

It IS going to get better.
And they're honest about it getting worse before getting better. No rosy predictions hiding the issues from us "to protect us."

Imagine a world where the leaders of the NIH, CDC, FDA, HHS, the Surgeon General, the new cabinet level Science Director, and the President are all saying the same thing and are actively going to try to help the states with their end of fighting the pandemic instead of just throwing it in their laps and blaming them for any failures.

BTW, the U.S. will soon have a "Chief Science Officer." The Surgeon General is the "Chief Medical Officer." I suppose whoever is running the Army Corps of Engineers is "Chief Engineer." Live long and prosper.

carolina_yankee

Imagine a world where the leaders of the NIH, CDC, FDA, HHS, the Surgeon General, the new cabinet level Science Director, and the President are all saying the same thing and are actively going to try to help the states with their end of fighting the pandemic instead of just throwing it in their laps and blaming them for any failures.

BTW, the U.S. will soon have a "Chief Science Officer." The Surgeon General is the "Chief Medical Officer." I suppose whoever is running the Army Corps of Engineers is "Chief Engineer." Live long and prosper.

Now that’s the kind of world only a Disney fan could dream of (And demand).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
On the vaccine front, according to Bloomberg‘s tracker in the last week the daily average of vaccinations was close to 900K a day with 3 days exceeding 1M doses. This is before the major pharmaceutical chains have fully ramped up and many states just beginning to open mass vaccination sites. We aren’t doing good yet, but on the right path.

In addition we we may have some additional help on the way soon:
In an interview on NBC News' "Meet the Press," Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, who will be staying on as President-elect Joe Biden’s chief science adviser, said he was optimistic that the vaccine candidates being made by Johnson & Johnson and AstraZeneca can be fully evaluated soon. "I would imagine within a period of a week or so, or at the most, a couple of weeks, they're going to be getting their data together and showing it to the FDA,” Fauci said of the two pharmaceutical companies.

So we are ramping up Pfizer and Moderna with 2 additional options potentially approved in early Feb. It’s slow going but there are at least some encouraging signs.

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

I just became available to get a vaccine dose in NJ.

All sites are fully booked.
Good luck to you! I hope you can find a site near you.

I just learned of a study being conducted by Wash U in St. Louis that is looking at how immunosuppressed people on a certain drug respond to the vaccine. DH happens to be on that very drug so I wrote them this afternoon in the hope that they'll accept him into the study. In IL, he's in group 1C, despite his risk factors being so high; meanwhile our county is still in phase 1A with no word on when they'll be moving to the next phase.

I don't mind the waiting so much, but the complete lack of guidance regarding timelines here has been very frustrating.

DisneyCane

I will say I was stressed about the vaccine news earlier this week (I still am) but what is happening with the rollout is just disastrous. We need shots in arms ASAP and everywhere, and the lack of direction is not helping. Here in CA our governor told us one thing, and our city health departments told us another. No agreement, just pure confusion, and no real effort to clear that confusion.

Sure there is confusion and frustration but it stems more from the fact that there is far less supply of the vaccine than demand of those who want it. The shots in the arm are happening faster than the reporting makes it look due to reporting delays. Looking at Florida's report, there is significant backfill of the data every day. As of yesterday's report, FL has given almost 1.1 million shots out of the 2.069 doses received. That's 53% of the doses reported as used.

The bottleneck is going to very quickly be doses available, not shots in the arm. You are working yourself up into a tizzy for what is going to end up being a few days difference in getting available doses into arms.

To vaccinate healthcare workers and the entire 65+ population, Florida needs close to 10 million doses and has only received 2.069 doses so far. The anger and frustration you have is due to production and shipping not happening fast enough for people to be able to get appointments. No logistical improvements will help that issue until there are enough doses for those who want them.

As I posted a few days ago, the Mayor of Broward County (a Democrat in a heavily Democrat county under the thumb of evil Ron Desantis) sent an email where he stated his expectation of getting all 65 and over who want the vaccine vaccinated within 5-7 weeks. If that gets accomplished, I'd say that reaching that milestone less than a year after "15 days to slow the spread" should be looked at as a major success, not something "disastrous."

Heppenheimer

Good luck to you! I hope you can find a site near you.

I just learned of a study being conducted by Wash U in St. Louis that is looking at how immunosuppressed people on a certain drug respond to the vaccine. DH happens to be on that very drug so I wrote them this afternoon in the hope that they'll accept him into the study. In IL, he's in group 1C, despite his risk factors being so high; meanwhile our county is still in phase 1A with no word on when they'll be moving to the next phase.

I don't mind the waiting so much, but the complete lack of guidance regarding timelines here has been very frustrating.
This is only an observational study of one, but a nurse I work with, who takes two different immunosuppressive medications for rheumatoid arthritis, received her 1st and 2nd doses of the Pfizer vaccine on the same days as me. While I definitely felt mildly ill they day after the second dose, she felt nothing beyond some arm soreness.

As far as I know, immunosuppression of any kind is not a contra-indication to these vaccines, particularly the kind of selective immunosuppression targeted by rheumatology medications.

Touchdown

This is only an observational study of one, but a nurse I work with, who takes two different immunosuppressive medications for rheumatoid arthritis, received her 1st and 2nd doses of the Pfizer vaccine on the same days as me. While I definitely felt mildly ill they day after the second dose, she felt nothing beyond some arm soreness.

As far as I know, immunosuppression of any kind is not a contra-indication to these vaccines, particularly the kind of selective immunosuppression targeted by rheumatology medications.
This, please. The only contraindications to the two mRNA vaccines are:

-You are allergic to one of the components
-You currently are infected with Covid (have symptoms)
-You were treated with a monoclonal antibody for Covid in the last 3 months

Pregnant? Talk to your doctor, but not specifically banned

Immunosupressed? Get the vaccine

Cancer? Get the vaccine

Just get the vaccine.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My boss lives in NJ and got an appointment for first week of Feb. I imagine as the dose count increases they will open more appointments. You just have to check frequently. It’s like shopping for TP online in the Spring.
My 'problem' is that just as I became eligible under 1a and 1b, NJ had just opened vaccines to all over 65 (I'm not) and to all smokers (I'm not). So, the pool of people now looking to reserve a shot is way bigger than doses available.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Sure there is confusion and frustration but it stems more from the fact that there is far less supply of the vaccine than demand of those who want it. The shots in the arm are happening faster than the reporting makes it look due to reporting delays. Looking at Florida's report, there is significant backfill of the data every day. As of yesterday's report, FL has given almost 1.1 million shots out of the 2.069 doses received. That's 53% of the doses reported as used.

The bottleneck is going to very quickly be doses available, not shots in the arm. You are working yourself up into a tizzy for what is going to end up being a few days difference in getting available doses into arms.

To vaccinate healthcare workers and the entire 65+ population, Florida needs close to 10 million doses and has only received 2.069 doses so far. The anger and frustration you have is due to production and shipping not happening fast enough for people to be able to get appointments. No logistical improvements will help that issue until there are enough doses for those who want them.

As I posted a few days ago, the Mayor of Broward County (a Democrat in a heavily Democrat county under the thumb of evil Ron Desantis) sent an email where he stated his expectation of getting all 65 and over who want the vaccine vaccinated within 5-7 weeks. If that gets accomplished, I'd say that reaching that milestone less than a year after "15 days to slow the spread" should be looked at as a major success, not something "disastrous."
I watched the press conference from my county department of health yesterday and they are absolutely ready to ramp up vaccinations as soon as they get more doses. They have one mass vaccination site at the local community college that has the capacity to do 1,000 doses a day. So far they have not received 7,000 doses in a week so they aren’t even using full capacity. They are deciding on a second mass vaccination site but won’t open it until they start getting more doses. So the narrative that the doses are sitting idle because we don’t have the capacity to use them is not factually accurate.

One thing that I found interesting was some insight into the actual logistics. So the county gets their doses once a week. There are not daily doses coming in. So if they get 3,000 doses on Momday they schedule appointments for Tue through Sunday to use all 3,000 doses. If you look at the tracker on Tuesday they may have only used 500 doses on Monday so it shows 2,500 unused doses. That skews the reporting and makes it look like 80% of the doses received weren’t used but they are all scheduled before the next batch comes in. In other words between reporting lag and scheduling a week out most of the unused doses are really not due to lack of people to do the jabs.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My 'problem' is that just as I became eligible under 1a and 1b, NJ had just opened vaccines to all over 65 (I'm not) and to all smokers (I'm not). So, the pool of people now looking to reserve a shot is way bigger than doses available.
It’s the downside to rushing. My in laws in NY have the same issue. My wife’s 95 year old grand mother and 75+ aunt got appointments for the end of March because they opened the floodgates to a whole bunch of people and they were too slow to click. Any person vaccinated is a positive for the greater good but it’s tough when you finally get to your turn and can’t get a spot. Hopefully as more vaccines are approved we will see a steep ramp up.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
The vaccine doesn’t make people immortal. People will die after receiving the vaccine, but that doesn‘t mean they died from the vaccine. So far I have not seen a single confirmed death related to a reaction to the vaccine anywhere. Even the one in FL where the guy had a stroke from a clotting issue and died and the family is blaming the vaccine is still under investigation. Even if the vaccine killed 4,000 people that‘s still only one day’s worth of deaths from the Covid infections it is preventing.

... as I like to say, every person who receives the vaccine will die..... eventually. ;)

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

As far as I know, immunosuppression of any kind is not a contra-indication to these vaccines, particularly the kind of selective immunosuppression targeted by rheumatology medications

Immunosupressed? Get the vaccine

It isn't as question of safety, but of timing of the vaccine in relation to the medication he takes and how it can impact the effectiveness of the vaccine in this population. Here is an article for those interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom