Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 96 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 2.32.29 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 2.32.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 2.32.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-12-18 at 2.32.17 PM.png

Disney Experience

So her arm, shoulder, and the side of her neck hurt. She was pretty tired the last couple days; some of that could be blamed on having kids, though. Back at work today and seems fine overall.

I was hoping maybe I'd get some contact immunity, but so far there's no evidence of that.
Second shot for me was where I had more than a sore arm. But it was still worth it.

Study also shows more reaction on second shot. I would use Moderna's numbers for rate of minor reaction which is higher than Pfizer's numbers even if getting the Pfizer shot, given what I have said earlier about Moderna's much more comprehensive survey of it's subjects reaction to the shots.

Last edited:

easyrowrdw

I am no fan of Trump, but in this case he had a reason. New York said they would not start administering the vaccine until they had done their own review of the data, so it made sense for the government to not send a vaccine to a state until they were ready to use it. In the end this must have gotten worked out because New York got vaccines same time as other states.
Exactly. If a state doesn't trust the FDA approval and votes against authorization or if there is any delay in the state approving it (despite concurrent processes), then you would have hundreds of thousands of doses languishing. Rather than have them sit there and wait, you send them to the places that are going to use them. I'm thankful that there were no issues with the approval processes and NYers have been able to receive their vaccines.

Disney Experience

And yet, the articles includes examples of an administration officials advocating it on July 24 and July 27.

So, now we have two different messages. One, directly from the president in public comments saying against it. One at a later date from an administration official in private to people tasked with taking actions in support of it.

We're back to the possible reasons for the disconnect.
  1. Official was out of sync with administration goals.
  2. Administration doesn't have a unified goal.
  3. Administration making public statements that are different from the actions being taken.

So, which do we think it is?

That the administration is incapable of having a unified goal and getting everyone in the administration on the same plan? Or, that they are trying to project one public message while implementing a different actual plan?

NONE of those are great look.
Depends on what actions are taken and where opinions are advocated.

Example:
I am all for diverse opinions with justification being shared to those who have to make a decision on the course to take. Having an advocate for various plans in an administration is in my opinion desirable in order to make the best decision. But once a course is chosen, sabotaging the choice would be bad. Such as if an administration decides not to go the herd immunity route and then someone in the administration on their own does not do their job in implementing the chosen plan.

The people you don't want in an administration is those who will advocate a point of view and then decide that no matter what the leadership chooses they will work against it behind the scenes. If they are so against a final decision, they should leave the administration, not subvert from within.

On the other hand, If an administration says one thing, and in secret does another, that is by definition duplicitous, and in cases other than national security, wrong.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

Walgreen's now has the Pfizer Covid vaccine for eligible people.

Per CDC guidance, COVID-19 vaccinations are currently only available to:

• Healthcare workers
  • Residents of long-term care facilities
  • Select populations based on varied state guidelines*
If you fall into one of these groups, you'll hear from your local health official or employer directly.

We anticipate vaccines be available for the general population at our stores sometime in 2021

sullyinMT

About four hours ago, shot 1 from Pfizer went in my right delt. A few thoughts:

1. Not sure if viscosity on this bad boy is higher that the flu shot or other vaccines I've received, but I really felt this one going in. Not uncomfortably so, but it was noticeable. Nurse also really made it a point to get the meatier part of my shoulder.
2. I'm already just a touch sore, but nothing worse than one of your siblings giving the old "slug bug" on the family road trip. Granted, I'm a little prone to muscle soreness from IM injections. For reference, I was sore for three days after my flu shot this year.
3. Our hospital COO is a real d'Amaro type, out and about where he can be. This morning he was helping with the screening/check-in process, and I asked some questions about our county's plan. YMMV, but it was his impression that once Moderna begins shipments, we'll move past just frontline workers and first responders pretty quickly. People like my wife, who are tied to healthcare but not clinical, will be offered the vaccine in a week or two. Already we are offering police, fire, and EMT a crack at the first round. It was also his impression that, with Moderna's less restrictive storage requirements, that our native tribal population will see mobile outreach vaccine clinics around the first of the year.

JoeCamel

About four hours ago, shot 1 from Pfizer went in my right delt. A few thoughts:

1. Not sure if viscosity on this bad boy is higher that the flu shot or other vaccines I've received, but I really felt this one going in. Not uncomfortably so, but it was noticeable. Nurse also really made it a point to get the meatier part of my shoulder.
2. I'm already just a touch sore, but nothing worse than one of your siblings giving the old "slug bug" on the family road trip. Granted, I'm a little prone to muscle soreness from IM injections. For reference, I was sore for three days after my flu shot this year.
3. Our hospital COO is a real d'Amaro type, out and about where he can be. This morning he was helping with the screening/check-in process, and I asked some questions about our county's plan. YMMV, but it was his impression that once Moderna begins shipments, we'll move past just frontline workers and first responders pretty quickly. People like my wife, who are tied to healthcare but not clinical, will be offered the vaccine in a week or two. Already we are offering police, fire, and EMT a crack at the first round. It was also his impression that, with Moderna's less restrictive storage requirements, that our native tribal population will see mobile outreach vaccine clinics around the first of the year.
May have been something about this years quad flu shot. Hurt me more than usual even though the injection was painless.

Disney Experience

This is awesome. I do wonder how they'll keep people from "jumping the line," so that the most vulnerable of the GP are protected first, but getting as many as possible vaccinated quickly will be helpful in the long run.
The Sr. VP of Walgreens said there would be "ways" in coordination with each state to make sure the priority people are receiving the vaccine. He did not give a specific method. But appointments will have to be made in most cases.

Near the 3 minute mark in the NBC News Dec 15th interview with the Sr. VP below:

Tasha Polster, divisional vice president of pharmacy quality compliance and patient safety at Walgreens, told Healthcare IT News that the company will collaborate with nearly 35,000 long-term care facilities as part of the first step in administering the vaccine to the most vulnerable people in the United States.

"In the early phases when select high-priority populations are eligible and jurisdictions have requested our support, we’ll partner with the state health officials to allow for secure electronic-appointment options," Polster explained. "Once a COVID-19 vaccine is broadly available, Walgreens will provide online scheduling options similar to how we schedule flu and other routine vaccinations.

Last edited:

correcaminos

So her arm, shoulder, and the side of her neck hurt. She was pretty tired the last couple days; some of that could be blamed on having kids, though. Back at work today and seems fine overall.

I was hoping maybe I'd get some contact immunity, but so far there's no evidence of that.
Mine was mostly felt during movements in a direction, but I have a high tolerance for pain. I was tired but I also slept like crap as the pain would wake me. Being a mom who knows if trying to keep the family together with crazy distance learning and switching to hybrid at the time added lol. Mine did last 2 full days both times. 2nd vaccine hurt faster than the first and all symptoms were almost entirely gone in 48 hours.

I thank her for getting it though. I admit it is joyous to see so many medical staff stepping up to get it. Many friends are posting too on my social media feeds.

sullyinMT

The Sr. VP of Walgreens said there would be "ways" in coordination with each state to make sure the priority people are receiving the vaccine. He did not give a specific method. But appointments will have to be made in most cases.

Near the 3 minute mark in the NBC News Dec 15th interview with the Sr. VP below:

I’ll be honest, after the LT care facilities are fulfilled via Walgreens and CVS, I personally don’t care if they prioritize their own workers. They’re essential employees, anyway, and a lot of them are probably in at risk adult populations with comorbidities. In their busiest stores, they do an awful lot of interaction with the public at large. I feel the same way about the FedEx and UPS staffs most directly tied to the vaccine supply chain. They should be offered a “thank you” for busting their hump to get this thing out there.

Disney Experience

Interesting story on how many frontline healthcare workers in Southern Florida are hesitant to get vaccinated. I am a bit surprised especially the doctors who are dealing with Covid-19 patients in Southern Florida. Seems for most people a very easy risk vs benefit decision. But then again I was in the Phase 3 study and felt it was worth the risk vs benefit to society back then, so I am a bit opinionated.

Last edited:

Disney Experience

I’ll be honest, after the LT care facilities are fulfilled via Walgreens and CVS, I personally don’t care if they prioritize their own workers. They’re essential employees, anyway, and a lot of them are probably in at risk adult populations with comorbidities. In their busiest stores, they do an awful lot of interaction with the public at large. I feel the same way about the FedEx and UPS staffs most directly tied to the vaccine supply chain. They should be offered a “thank you” for busting their hump to get this thing out there.
I can understand your thoughts, and concur. Though the FedEx and UPS staff most directly tied to the vaccine supply chain may be at less risk, then lets say my 90yo father living alone in California, having had quadruple bypass some years ago.

Moderna is thanking it's Phase 3 participants by letting them get vaccinated irrespective of their priority group when they unblind soon. Pfizer is hoping to keep their study's blinded subjects longer and will only offer priority within one's priority group.

The committee this week and last was saying that giving Phase 3 subject the benefit of priority vaccinated that they were not guaranteed when volunteering may make future study gain less useful data and people will expect that from all studies.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom