Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

carolina_yankee

Ive lived through many presiidents none have them have had an influence on my life nor have have the poop slinging monkeys in Congress.
That statement is patently false. You're in health care and the ACA has dramatically reshaped healthcare. The way politicians have chosen to respond (or not respond) to this pandemic has also affected you. Maybe you still have a job, are loved by your pets, fave a satisfactory bank account, and healthy family and friends (all good things), but that doesn't mean the political choices you and others have made haven't influenced your life.

ToTBellHop

We certainly have approached the pandemic with the science of "what I want rules" up til now so no real reason to change. It's working for us, right?
I see a lot of “I believe...”.

Can we blame people? Disney fireworks have been telling us to believe in our dreams for decades. So people dream that masks lower their oxygen levels and believe it because Jiminy Cricket, the Blue Fairy, and a disembodied British man told them to.

The story comes alive (when we look inside).

GoofGoof

Premium Member
We certainly have approached the pandemic with the science of "what I want rules" up til now so no real reason to change. It's working for us, right?
I took the May 1 comment as a joke, not a serious statement. I don’t think anyone seriously thinks because Joe Biden said wear a mask for 100 days that it means no masks anywhere after that. We don’t even know how far along the vaccine will be by then. POTUS can’t mandate masks or mandate no masks anyway, that’s up to state governors and ultimately still up to businesses too. Even if every state removes mask mandates it will be up to WDW or Costco or any other business to decide when the mask policies roll off. I think most will follow CDC or state health department recommendations. It’s also far more likely for mask mandates to be removed once the vaccine is available to all of their employees. I can’t see Disney saying no more masks on May 1 if half or more of the CMs haven‘t had a chance of being vaccinated. I view the 100 day statement as a hopeful timeframe for when we may start to see some meaningful reductions in Covid restrictions. Dial not a light switch.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That statement is patently false. You're in health care and the ACA has dramatically reshaped healthcare. The way politicians have chosen to respond (or not respond) to this pandemic has also affected you. Maybe you still have a job, are loved by your pets, fave a satisfactory bank account, and healthy family and friends (all good things), but that doesn't mean the political choices you and others have made haven't influenced your life.

There’s a million ways presidential agendas have affected all our lives. Hundreds if not thousands of details. Most causing vast improvements.

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
It's not about what I want - it's what our president-elect is saying. Bold move on his part giving people an end date to aspire to. I hope it works.

Personally, I got a little tired of all the posters assuring everyone that masks will be around until "at least the end of 2021 and probably well into 2022." Not to mention all the ones who "guaranteed" a vaccine would not be available until 2022 "if at all." May 1 has a much better ring to it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's not about what I want - it's what our president-elect is saying. Bold move on his part giving people an end date to aspire to. I hope it works.

Personally, I got a little tired of all the posters assuring everyone that masks will be around until "at least the end of 2021 and probably well into 2022." Not to mention all the ones who "guaranteed" a vaccine would not be available until 2022 "if at all." May 1 has a much better ring to it.

It’s just a sophomoric approach to countering the last year of nonsense.

Not hard for a 15 year old to piece together the obvious.

That’s really how low the bar is

DisneyCane

Disney can wait...not sure about the bigger players though. Not without substantial bailout help...and unfortunately they don’t really deserve it.
I think something else we can agree on. Cruise lines go out of their way to register their ships in foreign countries for tax benefits. They employ very few Americans on board the ships. Other than some small ancillary benefits to airlines and port cities, they don't contribute that much to the US economy, especially in relation to their revenue.

lazyboy97o

At some point enough contradictions from what everyone else is saying makes you wonder.

Animaniac93-98

I see a lot of “I believe...”.

Can we blame people? Disney fireworks have been telling us to believe in our dreams for decades. So people dream that masks lower their oxygen levels and believe it because Jiminy Cricket, the Blue Fairy, and a disembodied British man told them to.

The story comes alive (when we look inside).

This is why we need to go back to the days of Disney making educational short films.

If they don't listen to Fauci, then maybe Donald Duck or Goofy in a short like "How to Wear a Mask"?

carolina_yankee

I took the May 1 comment as a joke, not a serious statement. I don’t think anyone seriously thinks because Joe Biden said wear a mask for 100 days that it means no masks anywhere after that. We don’t even know how far along the vaccine will be by then. POTUS can’t mandate masks or mandate no masks anyway, that’s up to state governors and ultimately still up to businesses too. Even if every state removes mask mandates it will be up to WDW or Costco or any other business to decide when the mask policies roll off. I think most will follow CDC or state health department recommendations. It’s also far more likely for mask mandates to be removed once the vaccine is available to all of their employees. I can’t see Disney saying no more masks on May 1 if half or more of the CMs haven‘t had a chance of being vaccinated. I view the 100 day statement as a hopeful timeframe for when we may start to see some meaningful reductions in Covid restrictions. Dial not a light switch.
I think it was more of a comment that if people are asked to where a mask for 100 days, they'll assume Day 101 means no more masks needed. Whether it was a joke or not, I'm cynical enough to expect people to make that argument. And some will be right p****d that masks are still required.

Regardless of vaccine levels, I think masks will stay until *numbers* suggest they aren't needed. I also tried to point out that there are science-based questions as to whether or not vaccines prevent spread of COVID. Like a flea or mosquito, it could keep shedding from person to person until it finds a host it can attack. Until vaccinations are very widespread, that means healthy, vaccinated people can give COVID to vulnerable people. Now, if science shows the vaccine also presents spread, that's a different matter.

There's nuance in all of this, and I worry the population won't hav the patience for nuance. Or, as they say, the devil is in the details and we aren't very good at details unless we are figuring out how to conquer a Disney park.

_caleb

This is why we need to go back to the days of Disney making educational short films.

If they don't listen to Fauci, then maybe Donald Duck or Goofy in a short like "How to Wear a Mask"?
I've said this since the beginning of the pandemic! Why doesn't Disney jump back into educational short films? How to Wash Your Hands, Wear a Mask, Keep Your Distance, etc.

Back when CNN was doing their "COVID-19 Town Hall" series, they had the Muppets (and several celebrities) on as part of their Q&A with the public. This was a terrific way to get an audience to hear good information (from medical professionals).

Other Disney characters doing the same sort of thing would be awesome, and a real service to the country.

Last edited:

Figgy1

Premium Member
I've said this since the beginning of the pandemic! Why doesn't Disney jump back into educational short films? How to Wash Your Hands, Wear a Mask, Keep Your Distance, etc.

Back when CNN was doing their "COVID-19 Town Hall" series, they had the Muppets (and several celebrities) on as part of their Q&A with the public. This was a terrific way to get an audience to hear good information (from medical professionals).

Disney characters doing the same sort of thing would be awesome, and a real service to the country.
Muppets are owned by Disney except for some SS use. Sort of like the Marvel deal:cautious:

carolina_yankee

While I support the encouragement of wearing masks - it's a good "let's rally together for the common good" leadership angle, it still begs the question of "what if the. numbers don't justify taking them off?" Obviously the appeal can be relaxed by May (well, most likely if vaccination schedules hold) but there are so many moving parts, and I think the numbers dictate the safety. Our governor is also using April/May as a time frame for a expectation of a new normal, but he's even vary vague on specifics, because we can't really predict it at this point. The message is "the end is coming soon, we know it's a matter of months, we just have to do everything we can between now and then to get there."

Chi84

Premium Member
While I support the encouragement of wearing masks - it's a good "let's rally together for the common good" leadership angle, it still begs the question of "what if the. numbers don't justify taking them off?" Obviously the appeal can be relaxed by May (well, most likely if vaccination schedules hold) but there are so many moving parts, and I think the numbers dictate the safety. Our governor is also using April/May as a time frame for a expectation of a new normal, but he's even vary vague on specifics, because we can't really predict it at this point. The message is "the end is coming soon, we know it's a matter of months, we just have to do everything we can between now and then to get there."
There are some pretty highly-placed people who seem to believe the numbers will justify taking them off. I'm going to trust them for now. YMMV

DisneyCane

POTUS can’t mandate masks or mandate no masks anyway, that’s up to state governors

I had a little time and was reading the Florida Constitution and Florida Statutes. I don't even think that the Governor actually has that power. All powers in a "Public Health Emergency" are given to the "State Health Officer." I think the "State Health Officer" is the Florida Surgeon General.

The State Health Officer is given a bunch of powers by law. As far as I've seen so far (and I need to do more research), the Governor does not have the legal authority to do anything that has been done or not done in the State. The way the law is written, the local municipalities don't have the authority either.

I believe that to implement any of these measures in Florida (including things that were done), the Legislature should have been called into a special session and granted the powers to somebody. The State Health Officer's powers do not include any of these things either but do include powers for forced testing, vaccination, treatment, isolation and quarantine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom