Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I agree with you. Someone upthread mentioned "forced vaccinations" and that's what I was responding to. Also, I'm still convinced we can unify people and gain cooperation and compliance without always having to resort to heavy-handed closures and penalties.

And I agree that a place like WDW might be in the best position to do something like what you outline.
The only place I could see Covid vaccines required by the government is probably in schools. There’s a history and precedent for that and now due to Covid there‘s an easy alternative to allow kids to stay virtual without the vaccine. I don’t think there’s any way the government forces anyone to get vaccinated. That just won’t happen here. I can definitely see employers requiring it for workers and possibly private businesses like concert and sports venues requiring it for customers. It depends on how fast cases drop and how soon people can get the vaccine.

sullyinMT

The only place I could see Covid vaccines required by the government is probably in schools. There’s a history and precedent for that and now due to Covid there‘s an easy alternative to allow kids to stay virtual without the vaccine. I don’t think there’s any way the government forces anyone to get vaccinated. That just won’t happen here. I can definitely see employers requiring it for workers and possibly private businesses like concert and sports venues requiring it for customers. It depends on how fast cases drop and how soon people can get the vaccine.
Schools and possibly military. But I agree that a lot of employers, especially of essential and leisure travel industries, will make it a condition of employment &/or patronage.
Would it be legal to tie an employee’s healthcare eligibility to vaccination status, like many have done with tobacco?

I realize you meant government policy over the public in general. There are a lot of government agencies that will likely require it, federal to local.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Schools and possibly military. But I agree that a lot of employers, especially of essential and leisure travel industries, will make it a condition of employment &/or patronage.
Would it be legal to tie an employee’s healthcare eligibility to vaccination status, like many have done with tobacco?

I realize you meant government policy over the public in general. There are a lot of government agencies that will likely require it, federal to local.
Yes, the military too for sure. That‘s the only place they still sometimes use the Small Pox vaccine which has some known side effects. I also agree that employers including some government agencies may require it. I’m not sure about the healthcare part, most people do open enrollment in Q4 so if the pandemic is still going it could be added fall 2021.

I think the US stops short of requiring it for the general population. In China they implemented the red,yellow,green status for all citizens and in order to do a lot of things publicly you had to show proof you were green or Covid free. They used a phone app to track. I assume they could do the same with a vaccine. I don’t see the US doing anything like that.

sullyinMT

Yes, the military too for sure. That‘s the only place they still sometimes use the Small Pox vaccine which has some known side effects. I also agree that employers including some government agencies may require it. I’m not sure about the healthcare part, most people do open enrollment in Q4 so if the pandemic is still going it could be added fall 2021.

I think the US stops short of requiring it for the general population. In China they implemented the red,yellow,green status for all citizens and in order to do a lot of things publicly you had to show proof you were green or Covid free. They used a phone app to track. I assume they could do the same with a vaccine. I don’t see the US doing anything like that.
Right. This year’s (2021) policies are set. I’m just curious for new hires once widely available or, like you said, for the next few years.

Patcheslee

I'll be the first to admit getting a vaccine myself I don't blink an eye at. Having my daughter get vaccinated I want more info from her doctor, mainly because she has had serious side effects (whole limb swelled to point pants had to but cut off her, and had to go to ER) in the past. They don't know which of 2 combination type vaccines caused the reaction because they did 2 in each thigh, luckily not arms at least. If a vaccine was required for entertainment venues it would influence my decision to visit depending on whether her doctor thought the risk for vaccination was acceptable.

BrianLo

The next fight on this board... what if Disney requires proof of vaccination before allowing guests to enter the parks or stay at their resorts? How would they assure compliance? Would this change anyone's plans?

I don't think the resorts or parks will go there, but I really think the Cruising Industry (Disney included) will ask for it.

Cruising seems a bit more justified, the passengers are technically under the medical care of the Cruise Lines, unlike WDW resort where they can ship them off pretty easily. Cruising is also more controlled, if they can guarantee their full census is vaccinated they can very easily relax some of their policies.

sullyinMT

I don't think the resorts or parks will go there, but I really think the Cruising Industry (Disney included) will ask for it.

Cruising seems a bit more justified, the passengers are technically under the medical care of the Cruise Lines, unlike WDW resort where they can ship them off pretty easily. Cruising is also more controlled, if they can guarantee their full census is vaccinated they can very easily relax some of their policies.
Agree cruising is almost a no brainer due to the sheer nature of shows, nightclubs, dining, etc.
I can see theme parks going either way, but I agree with the sentiment that if they want to meaningfully increase capacity the only real way to do that is with vaccination “bubbles,” at least initially.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Numbers are out - there were 72 new reported deaths.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 1.21.16 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 1.21.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 1.21.49 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 1.21.06 PM.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
View attachment 512349

Here's a curve for hospitalizations in Florda - gradually creeping back up. Which is better than my state (Ohio) where they have nearly doubled since Halloween. :(
I'm sure they're all motorcycle or alligator accidents, and then doctors convinced them to pretend they have COVID in exchange for a cut in that sweet COVID money being sent to hospitals and paid out in cash to everyone in on the hoax.

Heppenheimer

I'm sure they're all motorcycle or alligator accidents, and then doctors convinced them to pretend they have COVID in exchange for a cut in that sweet COVID money being sent to hospitals and paid out in cash to everyone in on the hoax.
SSSHHHH! We need to keep this scam quiet, lest the president find out and tell his supporters. Because you know, we obviously also would have needed to bribe the Centers for Medicare, all 50 state Medicaid agencies and every single auditor working for every insurance company to pull off this massive swindle. $2000 divided up among several dozen people is SO worth the risk of medical license suspension and criminal prosecution. But as a poster here noted, "follow the money". The ability to apply a cliche is always proof of a conspiracy!
I think we may have also stolen the election, come to think about it...

kong1802

It's hilarious, but so so sad that there are unfortunately at least 1000 people that believe this kind of stuff.

I went through a lot of variations of the word stuff for that last word.

You are welcome, Mom. :D

Heppenheimer

Here’s the misnomer about ICU capacity.... during non-COVID times most ICUs are at least at 50+% capacity. ICUs aren’t constructed to sit empty and using ICU capacity as a gauge for COVID isn’t an accurate measure at all.
Also, ICU capacity can change drastically throughout the day in both directions.

What would be more appropriate information is if ICU capacity at a given hospital stays consistently above it's pre-COVID usual deviation. I would estimate that an ICU at 50-80% capacity is pretty typical for a large urban hospital, or at least the ones where I have worked. Hitting 100% is not uncommon, although it usually doesn't last long.

Patcheslee

Here’s the misnomer about ICU capacity.... during non-COVID times most ICUs are at least at 50+% capacity. ICUs aren’t constructed to sit empty and using ICU capacity as a gauge for COVID isn’t an accurate measure at all.
20 covid positive patients in a hospital with total capacity, only 9 is ICU beds, 5 more for Covid non critical. The whole hospital is only 166 beds including child and maternity. That's a big number for here

GoofGoof

Premium Member
This is true, but full is still full. If I need an ICU bed due to Covid infection and there are none left it doesn’t make me feel any better that the ICU is typically close to full.

Kevin_W

Also, ICU capacity can change drastically throughout the day in both directions.

What would be more appropriate information is if ICU capacity at a given hospital stays consistently above it's pre-COVID usual deviation. I would estimate that an ICU at 50-80% capacity is pretty typical for a large urban hospital, or at least the ones where I have worked. Hitting 100% is not uncommon, although it usually doesn't last long.
Here's how Ohio reports it. For ICU, it's typically been 70-75% utilized, with a low % being Covid. But the Covid # is steadilly creeping up. Covid has gone from 4% of total hospital beds in September to 11% now.

1605214555290.png

FeelsSoGoodToBeBad

What you found convenient about the Walmart pick up, I found annoying. We had placed a total of 5 orders over a month period and not once did they have half of what we ordered in stock yet they don’t tell you that. You just get a email saying available for pickup. One time they substituted regular tea when my wife likes the sugar free stuff. We ended up not ever ordering again from them and returning most of the orders. But I can understand some liking substitutes.
All my substitutes have been appropriate for what I ordered (except Hawaiian rolls when I ordered Haiwaiian BUNS). Sounds like the staff at your local store(s) need more training or maybe to be replaced, if they simply just don't care enough to understand that a sugared sub isn't appropriate for an order of a sugar-free item.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom