Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

yeah, i have found this to be the more common experience. i'm in NY and we had parents literally protesting by the hundreds to allow their kids be given the option to be in school five days a week.

in our district, they brought all the elementary schools back full time earlier this month. a neighboring district is bringing back all kids in two weeks. that's great news.
Meanwhile Boston is closing schools

MickeyLuv'r

Agreed, the point isn’t that people can only be in one group it’s to point out that for some people on both extremes the safety protocols don’t matter. For the rest of the people there is some balance of people who are willing to go or not go based on the particular safety protocols in place. 100% agreed there. You could blow it out into 100s or maybe 1000s of distinct groups based on each type of safety measure, but in the interest of time I summarized into 4 broad categories. It wasn’t my intent to say everyone has to pick one of those 4.

The statement was made by another poster and agreed by others that if Disney removed safety protocols and specifically the mask one that the parks would be more crowded than with safety protocols in place and that the only reason WDW isn’t back to pretty much normal business is because of artificial restrictions. I don’t agree with that. I see no evidence that that would be the case. I posted one of the polls done, there were others posted further back in the thread that all showed that the people surveyed are more likely to go with safety protocols than without. I haven‘t seen any links to polls or surveys conducted that showed the opposite. Disney’s own policies and their move toward stricter enforcement tells me they believe the safety protocols are a positive not a negative.
I think your list left off a significant chunk of the population who would consider going to WDW, if - forgive my wording - but more or less go to WDW if our country had a better lock on our overall case numbers/reduced politicization/anger.

First, I'm inclined to think if our case numbers were more like say, New Zealand's, more folks would weigh the risk/value differently.

Second, more folks would visit WDW if it was les of a hassle. I put some blame on WDW not for safety restrictions, but rather their long history of byzantine booking/cancelation policies. WDW trips have to be booked 6months out, fully paid at 45, and are partly non-refundable if cancelled at the last minute. What a hassle!

Just look at WDW's absurd tickets. There are over 100 variations. Ugh, who wants to spend an hour figuring out what ticket to buy? And oh, tickets are date specific and NON-refundable. Ugh! What a hassle! Have you tried simply calling WDW lately? What a hassle!

Suppose a member of your family gets sick a few days before you're supposed to leave? What then?

Most folks I know would enjoy a stress-free afternoon out of the house, but they want hassle-free last minute outings. Big vacation commitments only happen when people feel a sense of stability: safety, health, and financial.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think your list left off a significant chunk of the population who would consider going to WDW, if - forgive my wording - but more or less go to WDW if our country had a better lock on our overall case numbers/reduced politicization/anger.

First, I'm inclined to think if our case numbers were more like say, New Zealand's, more folks would weigh the risk/value differently.

Second, more folks would visit WDW if it was les of a hassle. I put some blame on WDW not for safety restrictions, but rather their long history of byzantine booking/cancelation policies. WDW trips have to be booked 6months out, fully paid at 45, and are partly non-refundable if cancelled at the last minute. What a hassle!

Just look at WDW's absurd tickets. There are over 100 variations. Ugh, who wants to spend an hour figuring out what ticket to buy? And oh, tickets are date specific and NON-refundable. Ugh! What a hassle! Have you tried simply calling WDW lately? What a hassle!

Suppose a member of your family gets sick a few days before you're supposed to leave? What then?

Most folks I know would enjoy a stress-free afternoon out of the house, but they want hassle-free last minute outings. Big vacation commitments only happen when people feel a sense of stability: safety, health, and financial.
All good points. Again, part of the reason I disagree with the other poster who thinks WDW would be filled to capacity if they just removed the safety protocols. I don’t think it’s that simple or even that overall that would help.

The Mom

Premium Member
The first message was masks don't work and please don't go buy them since the healthcare workers needed them. Then came well just any old mask is good (hell a t-shirt over your nose & mouth is fine) and may help. Then masks are the best thing since sliced bread. Then well some masks work and some are worse than wearing nothing. So the information was all over the map in the first few months. So it has been wishy washy.

You have been asked to present an epidemiological source for this statement.

Yes, in the beginning the general population was told that only those in direct contact with infected patients care masks. That was when the outbreaks were pretty much confined to those in nursing homes in the Northwest, and people being transferred off of cruise ships. If people started rushing out to purchase masks there would not be enough for those giving direct care. The average person had little to no chance of exposure. That changed as the virus spread.

But AFAIK no one in medicine said that they did not work. The only mask that was rated as worse than nothing were fleece masks, which are face warmers, not real masks. And different materials and styles will make a difference. I had to try various masks until I found the ones that fit me best and were comfortable to wear.

Please note that even the question of whether the fleece mask is worse than nothing has been raised in this article- many media outlets have retracted the original statement as even the Duke researchers did not agree on exactly what conclusion could be drawn.

Last edited:

MickeyLuv'r

All good points. Again, part of the reason I disagree with the other poster who thinks WDW would be filled to capacity if they just removed the safety protocols. I don’t think it’s that simple or even that overall that would help.
Agreed. Mostly, this thread jumped the shark a long time ago. (I mostly stopped reading a while back.)

I find it a bit odd to characterize everyone who maybe isn't going to WDW into just one or two reasons, unless you want to lump everyone's concerns under an umbrella called "uncertainty."

The information is right on these boards, people trying to plan future WDW visits have more questions than answers. There's just much we don't know right now.

DisneyDebRob

Yes, in the beginning the general population was told that only those in direct contact with infected patients care masks. That was when the outbreaks were pretty much confined to those in nursing homes in the Northwest, and people being transferred off of cruise ships. If people started rushing out to purchase masks there would not be enough for those giving direct care. The average person had little to no chance of exposure. That changed as the virus spread.

But AFAIK no one in medicine said that they did not work. The only mask that was rated as worse than nothing were fleece masks, which are face warmers, not real masks.

Please note that even the question of whether the fleece mask is worse than nothing has been raised in this article- many outlets have retracted the original statement as even the Duke researchers did not agree on exactly what conclusion could be drawn.
Please post this again... in all capital letters please. Thanks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Agreed. Mostly, this thread jumped the shark a long time ago. (I mostly stopped reading a while back.)

I find it a bit odd to characterize everyone who maybe isn't going to WDW into just one or two reasons, unless you want to lump everyone's concerns under an umbrella called "uncertainty."

The information is right on these boards, people trying to visit WDW have more questions than answers.
My contention has always been that the uncertainty around the worldwide pandemic in general is a major factor on people avoiding traveling far away, especially on a plane. We saw this summer that local travel was through the roof but airfare was way down. I don’t think a lot of people would want to get involved with planning an expensive and complicated trip like WDW with so much uncertainty. Financial uncertainties as well as public health ones. Even people who didn’t lose their job may still not want to commit too much money on a vacation in the current environment. I think a lot of people who typically might visit WDW in normal times are avoiding it now due to a lot of different reasons, some related to safety protocols and a lot not directly related. I don’t think a large number would come back if they just dropped safety protocols.

MickeyLuv'r

In my daughter's middle school, 37% chose virtual over hybrid.
I could see that.

Though virtual isn't ideal, at least for the time being, it offers some consistency.

It is my observation that most people, in general, like consistency. How many parents, even at WDW, opt to keep their children to near normal bed times?

I'm sure it depends how well each school system and region integrated tech before the pandemic, how well they were able to implement their online, hybrid, and in-person options. We don't all even have access to quality internet, and every school system has a different budget, and different leadership.

One district might see in-person as more consistent, while another sees online as more consistent. or hybrid offering the most promise.

Chi84

Premium Member

But AFAIK no one in medicine said that they did not work. The only mask that was rated as worse than nothing were fleece masks, which are face warmers, not real masks. And different materials and styles will make a difference. I had to try various masks until I found the ones that fit me best and were comfortable to wear.

Please note that even the question of whether the fleece mask is worse than nothing has been raised in this article- many media outlets have retracted the original statement as even the Duke researchers did not agree on exactly what conclusion could be drawn.
The only "cons" I've seen regarding face masks were based on issues like how they were being worn, whether they would give people a false sense of security, possible self-contamination, etc. - not based on the particular qualities of any mask. The CDC site still lists pros and cons of mask-wearing, but these have nothing to do with the material or type of mask. They are more in the nature of making people aware of how to best use them in conjunction with other COVID precautions. In the earliest days, we were told pretty much anything was better than nothing. Then when some jokers started wearing mesh masks or masks composed of just the strings, more was said about having two layers, ear loops, and other features.

Tink242424

I, for one, hope that Americans have the common sense to be upset when we hit 2000 deaths a day, and its going to be soon.

Apparently 1000 deaths a day from this thing is just fine.
As humans there is only so much that we can tolerate before our brains are desensitized. I know I am fatigued by all of this as well as a number of my friends and family. So I don't expect that we are any more upset about 2000 deaths a day then 1000 and it isn't a matter of saying it is fine. It is a survival mechanism that kicks in.

Tink242424

The times of people in this country making a sacrifice for the better good is long gone. Most people have no idea what our grandparents and their parents sacrificed through wars.. recessions.. pandemics.. for the good of all. It’s a “ I should be able to go out and not wear a mask if I want” attitude now. The constitution was in place back then also but people knew what they needed to do to make things better for all. Was their discussion on things that might not be constitutional? Of course, there are many examples of it but in the end, for almost every problem, they all worked together and solved it.
Funny thing is, the scientists aren’t even asking for a big sacrifice here. Wear masks and socially distance? Our forefathers would have laughed at that even being called a sacrifice. But here we are. We are going to need a good 20 years I think and a huge person/persons in office to get us back on track.
I completely disagree. The difference in the past was the way the information was communicated to the public. All the messages were about we are all in this together and how people could contribute to the cause. The media has failed to do this and is not the same media we had for WWI and WWII or the great depression. I said quite a few pages ago that if we gave people the truth and encouraged them to wear masks and protect high risk people most would do it without question. The division that the media wants to promote is not helpful and contributes to why people go against what is being promoted.

I still believe that as Americans we can come together and support. We don't however like when mandates that step on our individual liberties are enacted that may or may not be lawful. This could have been handled ten times better with messaging.

The old saying still stands "You catch more flies with honey than vinegar"

ImperfectPixie

The only "cons" I've seen regarding face masks were based on issues like how they were being worn, whether they would give people a false sense of security, possible self-contamination, etc. - not based on the particular qualities of any mask. The CDC site still lists pros and cons of mask-wearing, but these have nothing to do with the material or type of mask. They are more in the nature of making people aware of how to best use them in conjunction with other COVID precautions. In the earliest days, we were told pretty much anything was better than nothing. Then when some jokers started wearing mesh masks or masks composed of just the strings, more was said about having two layers, ear loops, and other features.
I saw some etsy sellers selling lace and tulle masks...they should be ashamed of themselves for helping people avoid wearing a proper mask when it's required.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1603751180554.png

1603751285171.png

Tink242424

Not at all. I am suggesting things are done for the survival of the many. If that means new laws or temporary restrictions then so be it.
Don't forget this is a slippery slope. I'm all for stopping the pandemic but we don't need new laws or to give our government the right to infringe on our liberties. Treating people like adults and using positive reinforcement would get a lot more people on board.

I truly fear what is happening to the citizens of the US and how much freedom people are willing to give up. One day we may end up in a world that we aren't free at all.

To be VERY CLEAR I'm NOT saying that we should not have people wear masks, social distance or any of the other measures that we are doing. What I'm saying is that they shouldn't be mandated by the government.

rowrbazzle

There was a study out of Duke that indicated gaiters and bandanas allowed droplets to spread farther than wearing no face covering at all. Evidently larger droplets were broken up as they passed through the coverings so they were transmitted a greater distance. It seems that subsequent studies have found other conditions where that was not the case. I don't think there are any questions about the effectiveness of "normal" masks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom