Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chomama

Aren’t we all required to act a certain way when we’re on the clock. I don’t know how many people are defined by their profession outside of work. Geez I’d never be able to drink beer or eat fried food if that was the case.
Hippocratic oath?

Chomama

That doesn't apply to my personal life. It applies at work. I'm also not a physician.
I know. You said any profession. I was just thinking of one. And, actually, you are correct. It doesn’t actually mean anything. It’s just a tradition and isn’t really a practical oath. That aside, I think this starts to venture into ethics. If your job requires a certain type of behavior in order to protect people it would logically follow that the ethical thing would be to continue that behavior outside of work. I am no philosopher, though, so I am just processing out loud here

Last edited:

Chomama

There are healthcare workers that smoke, do drugs, overeat, and participate in other bad behaviors. The Hippocratic oath is basically an oath to protect your patients. It's nice people have this heroic vision of people in healthcare, but they are just people struggling to get through life like everyone else.
Fair enough. I do think there will be healthcare workers at all ends of this spectrum and everywhere in between. Of course they are regular people. Most of my friends are doctors and PAs. I was trying to Extrapolate a more difficult issue. We all relax outside of work. But I would imagine a lot of us try to uphold the Same moral ideals no matter where we are and are consistent in our behavior in terms of how we treat others no matter the situation. Surely this is true for many people. It seems logical (but you are anecdotally saying this is incorrect) that if a person knew something was life threatening to people while at work it would
Still be so outside of the hospital. So wouldn’t that person want to continue protecting others in that real
World scenario?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1601295062268.png

1601295088495.png

DisneyCane

Lack of understanding of the purpose for wearing a mask. No different in a medical setting than it is for this virus. It is to slow or stop transmission of particles from you to others.
I am amazed that 6+ months into this that it would not be clear how this spreads,
The influenza virus was isolated in the early 1930s and they still don't know exactly how it spreads. Over 80 years and it's still just hindsight studies and best educated guesses.

It isn't remotely clear how SARS-CoV-2 spreads.

To really know if face coverings (not masks which have specifications to them) do anything, you'd need to put infected people in rooms with uninfected people and have some rooms with the infected wearing face coverings and some not and see what the rate of transmission is to the uninfected. Since nobody is volunteering to be part of an experiment like that, the "science" is not clear or proven.

Miss Bella

Fair enough. I do think there will be healthcare workers at all ends of this spectrum and everywhere in between. Of course they are regular people. Most of my friends are doctors and PAs. I was trying to Extrapolate a more difficult issue. We all relax outside of work. But I would imagine a lot of us try to uphold the Same moral ideals no matter where we are and are consistent in our behavior in terms of how we treat others no matter the situation. Surely this is true for many people. It seems logical (but you are anecdotally saying this is incorrect) that if a person knew something was life threatening to people while at work it would
Still be so outside of the hospital. So wouldn’t that person want to continue protecting others in that real
World scenario?
Fair enough but the person would have to believe that not wearing a mask is life threatening. Keep in mind masks are not mandated in many cities across the US. That being said I I really don’t think we need another mask debate on this thread.

Kevin_W

One of Denmark's top immunologists is wondering about Sweden now too

Unfortunately, behind a paywall for me. (And in Danish, but Google Translate is truly an amazing feature.)

DisneyCane

One of Denmark's top immunologists is wondering about Sweden now too

Unfortunately, behind a paywall for me. (And in Danish, but Google Translate is truly an amazing feature.)

Same here on the paywall. @SamusAranX can you give a brief summary?

LaughingGravy

This is the first time I entered this thread to even read it and I started from page 1. It seems like years ago. This is exhausting.

Based personal experience, meaning people we knew who have died and others who are still battling long term symptoms who really had no underlying conditions prior from ages of 43-85, please still take this seriously, independent of what any laws or permissions from governors are out there. There is a common "excuse" that people who died had other factors, and that COVID is just a convenient political excuse. There are way too many where this is not the case.

Indoor dining is a hazard. I am more than happy to patronize take out, and as often as possible to help keep restaurants afloat.

What is maddening is that with the exception of one family of those we know, those who caught this did not infect others in their families with whom they lived. Without quick and inexpensive tests for all, (like a dollar store pregnancy test), this isn't going to go away any time soon.
Adding: Have a good 3 layer mask. not one that is just one layer and is a novelty with a funny print on it, or have that as a "top layer" and supplement to make a good one. Also, wash it regularly.

Keep good habits, wear your mask properly (don't make a "statement" by just covering your mouth), wash your hands often and well, and stay away from others as much as possible, meaning farther than 6 feet. Keep good habits regarding things you touch outside of your home, including door handles, carts, keypads and pens in checkout lanes. You know, the stuff you've heard about, but not lately.
Until there's a good vaccine available and most people are inoculated, that is the best way to reduce the spread of this. There are a lot of "I didn't believe it until I caught it" situations out there. We've lost a lot of people, many of which are due to non-belief because it didn't affect them or their loved ones directly.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
The influenza virus was isolated in the early 1930s and they still don't know exactly how it spreads. Over 80 years and it's still just hindsight studies and best educated guesses.

It isn't remotely clear how SARS-CoV-2 spreads.

To really know if face coverings (not masks which have specifications to them) do anything, you'd need to put infected people in rooms with uninfected people and have some rooms with the infected wearing face coverings and some not and see what the rate of transmission is to the uninfected. Since nobody is volunteering to be part of an experiment like that, the "science" is not clear or proven.
The science is not proven with a peer reviewed scientific study, but there’s enough known about how viral diseases spread in general to make an educated guess that it’s going to be at least partially effective. There hasn’t been a formal study like the one you describe that shows hand washing works either. Should people stop washing their hands now since it hasn’t been definitely proven to help? I get people want something to ”hang their hat on” in an argument when they just don’t feel like doing something, but I don’t buy into that logic. If you want to be against masks, just own it. Don’t try to make it like the science is on your side, it’s not.

DisneyCane

The science is not proven with a peer reviewed scientific study, but there’s enough known about how viral diseases spread in general to make an educated guess that it’s going to be at least partially effective. There hasn’t been a formal study like the one you describe that shows hand washing works either. Should people stop washing their hands now since it hasn’t been definitely proven to help? I get people want something to ”hang their hat on” in an argument when they just don’t feel like doing something, but I don’t buy into that logic. If you want to be against masks, just own it. Don’t try to make it like the science is on your side, it’s not.
It can be (and has been) proven that washing hands removes viruses and bacteria from the skin. It is impossible to transfer a particle to your nose, mouth or eyes if it isn't on your skin. The experiments don't need to be done with every different bacteria or virus as long as they have similar physical properties to those that have been experimented with.

I own my position on masks. I don't think they do much, if anything, especially when interactions are brief and when social distancing is in place. I don't think they should be government mandated because there is a 1% or less chance that any given random person is a currently contagious, asymptomatic carrier. I'm fine with a business requiring them if it brings more customers in because a segment of the population feels safer if they are required. I comply with all business's mask policies (including WDW). I put it on right before entering and take it off the second I step outside.

That's my position based on research and analysis I've done. There's no point in arguing because if you are convinced in the effectiveness of masks then I'm not changing your mind and you aren't changing my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom