Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Lowest number of cases in months today for Florida.
When the number of actual tests performed is halved, then the number of cases spotted is also expected to be halved, which is what happened.

The percent who were positive went *up*.

This is why the 7 or 14 day trend lines are more important than individual days which can fluctuate.

sullyinMT

When the number of actual tests performed is halved, then the number of cases spotted is also expected to be halved, which is what happened.

This is why the 7 or 14 day trend lines are more important than individual days which can fluctuate.
At least the %+ didn't double to 8%+, but that testing total is atrocious.

I think it was posited on here a week or two ago that the results may actually be coming in faster (less backlog to clear through), so the results we see are a little closer to 24-48 hours back. Said differently, this may reflect the reality of less people seeking tests over the weekend.

Mark52479

At least the %+ didn't double to 8%+, but that testing total is atrocious.

I think it was posited on here a week or two ago that the results may actually be coming in faster (less backlog to clear through), so the results we see are a little closer to 24-48 hours back. Said differently, this may reflect the reality of less people seeking tests over the weekend.

Everyday i have to drive by one of the biggest public testing sites here in South Florida on my way to work. And you are right about the weekends.

I drove by Friday, Sat and yesterday at 1pm and there was literally NO ONE there. Maybe 4 cars if that all 3 days.

So yeah weekends very slow. 7 day avg is what you have to look at to get better pic.

sullyinMT

another perfect example of why positivity rate matters.
Agreed. Also, if I were to take time out of my weekend to get tested (barring being told I should by a county health tracer or otherwise suspicious of recent exposure), I'm likely symptomatic. The positivity being only 4.25% could be pointing to an early flu season.
GET YOUR FLU SHOT, PEOPLE! Even if the strain "misses" this year and it's 40% effective, your severity will be way less and we won't stress the system.

DisneyCane

Agreed. Also, if I were to take time out of my weekend to get tested (barring being told I should by a county health tracer or otherwise suspicious of recent exposure), I'm likely symptomatic. The positivity being only 4.25% could be pointing to an early flu season.
GET YOUR FLU SHOT, PEOPLE! Even if the strain "misses" this year and it's 40% effective, your severity will be way less and we won't stress the system.
Especially because for people in Florida, if the Publix pharmacy takes your insurance you get a $10 gift card to get the shot.

dfisher9

This is why I like to compare it to the same day the previous week, especially with the dip on Sundays and then rise on Mondays. Less than 5% with ~2300 cases tomorrow, and Florida will likely have met the metrics to get off the New York quarantine list. It will be interesting if they meet the metrics, but stay on the list because of the decision to open everything up.

Kevin_W

My daughter's pediatrician is actually out of flu shot. I could see that happening this year, but it seems early. Perhaps her doctor just grossly misjudged supply. The grocery stores near me still have plenty.

sullyinMT

My daughter's pediatrician is actually out of flu shot. I could see that happening this year, but it seems early. Perhaps her doctor just grossly misjudged supply. The grocery stores near me still have plenty.
Check some of the commercial sites in your area. Most, if not all, are distribution sites for doses from 4+ this year. A marked change from previous years.

JoeCamel

Is there a different dose for kids? I know there is for 65+ and plenty of that around.

Kevin_W

Check some of the commercial sites in your area. Most, if not all, are distribution sites for doses from 4+ this year. A marked change from previous years.
Our schools are actually offering flu shots for free this year to students. (My daughter would prefer not to have it at school because she completely freaks about about getting shots and she'd prefer not to be embarrassed at school!) So we have plenty of options still available.

I got mine from Kroger last week. It made my sore ache for a couple days (more than I remember from previous years), but no other ill effects.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My kid’s pediatrician usually does a flu shot clinic for a week or so and just has everyone come in during those days to get shots. They decided not to do that this year because they didn’t want to have a large number of people come in at one time. We decided to take them to CVS with us since I wasn‘t getting one at work this year and had to go anyway. They actually do the shot for kids 2+. I wasn’t sure if they would do kids there, but they are if you need a place to go in a pinch. The only downside is I had to bribe my kids with candy from up by the registers, but it was quick and easy.

DisneyCane

I have an old daily report saved. The closest day for comparison on it was 5/25 when there were 20,263 tests, 504 new cases and a 2.63% new case positivity.

It's hard to really compare because that was before the big ramp up in testing so there isn't enough information to compare the type of people getting tested now vs. 5/25.

Chi84

Premium Member
It can be (and has been) proven that washing hands removes viruses and bacteria from the skin. It is impossible to transfer a particle to your nose, mouth or eyes if it isn't on your skin. The experiments don't need to be done with every different bacteria or virus as long as they have similar physical properties to those that have been experimented with.

I own my position on masks. I don't think they do much, if anything, especially when interactions are brief and when social distancing is in place. I don't think they should be government mandated because there is a 1% or less chance that any given random person is a currently contagious, asymptomatic carrier. I'm fine with a business requiring them if it brings more customers in because a segment of the population feels safer if they are required. I comply with all business's mask policies (including WDW). I put it on right before entering and take it off the second I step outside.

That's my position based on research and analysis I've done. There's no point in arguing because if you are convinced in the effectiveness of masks then I'm not changing your mind and you aren't changing my mind.
I agree with most of what you say. Unfortunately, we can't do the things that will truly put a stop to the virus, such as staying home and avoiding indoor gatherings. We have to go to work, school, stores, doctor's offices, etc. Masks are what we CAN do, and one's attitude towards them depends on how willing you are to accept that doing something that may help is better than doing nothing. I remember being upset by the CDC's initial recommendation stating that one of the "benefits" of masks was their usefulness in reminding people that the virus is present and we need to do the other things (like avoiding prolonged indoor contact with others) that really do work. But my husband was on board with the CDC's reasoning, saying that once the masks are gone, people will go back to business as usual.

Most of the early studies concluded that widespread wearing of masks could inhibit the spread of the virus, but it seems this is on a macro level and assumes people will wear them whenever they are in public, and will wear them correctly. As far as providing protection for individuals, I do remember an instance where two hair stylists had COVID but did not pass it on to any of their clients. But no one can say whether that was because of masks - there was a study that even spouses and family members of COVID patients had only a 27% or 19% chance, respectively, of being infected.

There were some recent reports (I don't know how valid) that wearing a mask could inhibit the amount of virus that enters your system even if you are exposed, resulting in a milder illness. That possibility makes mask-wearing more tolerable for me.

I agree with you about the odds of being infected by momentarily passing someone not wearing a mask. The vast majority of people do not have COVID, and the CDC has not indicated that transmission by so brief an encounter is likely. Like you, I follow the rules, and I am seriously annoyed by others who do not. But I don't think the overly dramatic rhetoric is helpful - these people may be jerks, but they are not "sentencing someone to death."

I don't believe that any and all discussions about masks are useless; information is still coming out (like the report saying masks can, contrary to earlier beliefs, protect the wearer to some extent). What I don't find productive are the fly-by quips calling people idiots or labeling them as selfish simply because they are not persuaded that masks are as effective as others believe. That type of language should be reserved for the people who actually disregard the rules that are in place. There is a difference.

Bob Harlem

Lowest number of cases in months today for Florida.

Lowest since June 2nd, and first time under 1k since June 9th. It's Monday though which is usually when the low point of the week is. But least the trend is still in the right direction, and 2 week positivity is still under 5% at 4.54%. Testing is lower overall, but it means fewer feel the need to get tested. Hospitalization has trended downward too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom