Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

I’m sorry... what criteria did Florida meet? I must have missed it. We have stayed above 5% for most of the last month and had I think 9 days below? Now it’s going up again... deaths are still high... I mean we are actually worse off than in the beginning ... cases are plateaued NOT decreasing... it hardly seems to be the time to throw caution to the wind

"Phase 3 will begin after the successful conclusion of Phase 2, which includes a downward trajectory of the syndromic and epidemiology criteria while maintaining adequate health care capacity. This will occur when there is no evidence of a rebound or resurgence of COVID-19 cases and satises the benchmarks outlined in this Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. plan. The Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. plan sets forth minimum recommended health protocols. Individuals and businesses should adhere to all public guidance by federal, state and local ofcials, including state regulatory agencies."

hopemax

Sooo... perhaps I'll let the resident Floridians answer this. Who is the governor hoping to please with today's announcements? I know how much of Florida's revenue comes from hotel taxes, so is he hoping that if everything opens up, the tourists will just come flooding back in? Although I can't speak for everyone in the north east, I can tell you that a big reason why nobody around here is planning on a trip to Florida (including the snowbirds) has nothing to do with restaurant and bar capacity, and has everything to do with the levels of COVID-19. Until the state gets a better handle on this, don't expect too many other states to lift their travel restrictions.
Not a FL resident, but I don't think "pleasing" anyone has anything to do with it. Other than the people, any people, they can attract to the state or function like things are normal quickly. People that are hesitant can't help Florida fast enough. Even if tax receipts bounce up to some percentage of normal, that allows more of the "lights being kept on," than phase 1 or 2 would allow. As previously mentioned, this is how FL set the board for themselves, and so their playbook is limited. Without the luxury of time or resources it's hard to choose strategies that could lead to more stability some unknown time in the future. That puts states like Florida into a bind. Rent is due tomorrow, and the kids need to be fed tonight; state style.

JohnD

These are the ‘metrics’ provided for phase 3 by the state:

View attachment 500482

I’m honestly at a loss as to how ‘downward trajectory’ is interpreted from the current state reported numbers. The Governor clearly has a different definition of ‘downward’ then I do, or is cherry picking the dates to consider that basis (obviously, the trend is downward relative to April!) The goalposts continue to move.

A lot of people just want the state to follow what seems to be reasonably established CDC guidelines. A lot more people just want the state to follow their own guidelines. If they did that, I would be in the ‘acceptable’ camp. This is not that.

In every phase, counties have always had the ability to keep at a more stringent level. That hasn't changed. The difference, compared to California, is the Governor isn't being heavy-handed about it. It has already been stated that WDW is likely to keep their protocols. Disney would like to do the same in CA, if the Governor would let them.

Jwink

"Phase 3 will begin after the successful conclusion of Phase 2, which includes a downward trajectory of the syndromic and epidemiology criteria while maintaining adequate health care capacity. This will occur when there is no evidence of a rebound or resurgence of COVID-19 cases and satises the benchmarks outlined in this Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. plan. The Safe. Smart. Step-by-Step. plan sets forth minimum recommended health protocols. Individuals and businesses should adhere to all public guidance by federal, state and local ofcials, including state regulatory agencies."

Right I’ve read it too... pretty sure there’s no scientific numbers in there from doctors or scientists to show what is safe or not... literally just whatever his opinion is

JohnD

And with no income tax to fall back on they need the sale taxes.

You realize that's a weak argument. With shutdowns there is no income either. You could be just as snarky with "And with no sales tax to fall back on they need the income tax." It's not an either-or proposition.

Jwink

In his news conference the Governor of FL did state if there was an increase in covid cases, the FL hospitals are equipped to handle them. This is not reality.
Just because they aren’t at capacity now doesn’t mean they can’t get that way if it surged again. He’s very.... nonchalant about a virus that can kill people

*edit* not you Lilo- I’m talking our local government is nonchalant

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Not a FL resident, but I don't think "pleasing" anyone has anything to do with it. Other than the people, any people, they can attract to the state or function like things are normal quickly. People that are hesitant can't help Florida fast enough. Even if tax receipts bounce up to some percentage of normal, that allows more of the "lights being kept on," than phase 1 or 2 would allow. As previously mentioned, this is how FL set the board for themselves, and so their playbook is limited. Without the luxury of time or resources it's hard to choose strategies that could lead to more stability some unknown time in the future. That puts states like Florida into a bind. Rent is due tomorrow, and the kids need to be fed tonight; state style.
Are you saying this not for ulterior motives? Woah cowboy.

But even if not...every single state is crushed. There are definite ulterior motives behind that.

Florida “reopening” is a symbolic move. Are there lines waiting to get into restaurants?

Won’t be tomorrow either
In his news conference the Governor of FL did state if there was an increase in covid cases, the FL hospitals are equipped to handle them. This is not reality.
So I should go out for some recreation confident that I’ll have a hospital bed? 🤔

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
You realize that's a weak argument. With shutdowns there is no income either. You could be just as snarky with "And with no sales tax to fall back on they need the income tax." It's not an either-or proposition.
Perhaps they oversimplified...but you’re not suggesting we forget how and why and for whom Florida has operated since 1950?

Is covid now a “brain erasing” thing?

Ldno

Many from PA want to travel to Disney because of the cheap airfares. I mean a lot. But ask my wife how many trips she’s booking to go? They all say the same thing.. it’s so cheap right now to fly.. can get on so many rides..etc etc. she’s heard it a thousand times. But most end with.. not taking the chance.. to much money for cut back entertainment.. I’ll reach back out to you next year. So just because the governor gave the green light for everyone to go everywhere, well I think he’s mostly talking to his people in Florida.
My understanding from what some are doing from what I have seen, buy the ”cheap” tickets with travel insurance, change it and leave it for a future tentative upcoming family trip when things calm down, entertainment that ”could” be pushed more towards the right when the ultimate green light is given.

Polkadotdress

Sooo... perhaps I'll let the resident Floridians answer this. Who is the governor hoping to please with today's announcements? I know how much of Florida's revenue comes from hotel taxes, so is he hoping that if everything opens up, the tourists will just come flooding back in? Although I can't speak for everyone in the north east, I can tell you that a big reason why nobody around here is planning on a trip to Florida (including the snowbirds) has nothing to do with restaurant and bar capacity, and has everything to do with the levels of COVID-19. Until the state gets a better handle on this, don't expect too many other states to lift their travel restrictions.
Resident Floridian here and most assuredly Desantis is looking out for revenue. He has been very concerned about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers not allowing fans in the stadium, and thinks that it bodes negatively for the SuperBowl, which is scheduled there in JAN. Also, unemployment continues to be a shambles, with recipients not being paid on time, or at all. Also, if our unemployment remains at a certain level for a certain amount of time, then the legislature must (should) extend it later this year, and there is no $ for that! So, he's likely trying to avoid that situation as well, keeping our state at the bottom of unemployment benefits nationwide.

olie64

I mean minus everyone with salaried positions who are still working so most of the white collar jobs and a lot of factory workers and construction i know my state has still recieved a much of tax money thru income taxes...

but we will agree to disagree.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Resident Floridian here and most assuredly Desantis is looking out for revenue. He has been very concerned about the Tampa Bay Buccaneers not allowing fans in the stadium, and thinks that it bodes negatively for the SuperBowl, which is scheduled there in JAN. Also, unemployment continues to be a shambles, with recipients not being paid on time, or at all. Also, if our unemployment remains at a certain level for a certain amount of time, then the legislature must (should) extend it later this year, and there is no $ for that! So, he's likely trying to avoid that situation as well, keeping our state at the bottom of unemployment benefits nationwide.

The problem is a lot of Florida's economy is based on tourism and high covid numbers will scare a lot of people away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom