Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
And with no income tax to fall back on they need the sale taxes.
I’m not making light of Florida’s predicament. This is their model and this hits them hard.

But they can’t bully their way out of it. They depend on out of state travel. They have to appear to be “clean” or their losses will be massive for a longer period of time. How do you run weeklong tourist destination with the entire Atlantic seaboard, upper Midwest, west coast, Canada and Western Europe on the “no thanks” list?

Only one way out of this in Tallahassee...and that may include a gigantic mea culpa
I know they frown upon politic talk here, but you can clearly see the difference, DeSantis is now desperate to get the state from collapsing, now I‘m wondering what Newson is all about. Disney will play it safe for everyone but I can foresee normally in things towards the holidays, they just lifted the mask restrictions with no fines so expect to see more stunts at the parks in regards to that. Start booking your trip and do not hesitate!
I wish we could...but i’ve Gone too far already (something my therapist has me doing tai chi to Control 🤪) so I must behave.

Ldno

I’m not making light of Florida’s predicament. This is their model and this hits them hard.

But they can’t bully their way out of it. They depend on out of state travel. They have to appear to be “clean” or their losses will be massive for a longer period of time. How do you run weeklong tourist destination with the entire Atlantic seaboard, upper Midwest, west coast, Canada and Western Europe on the “no thanks” list?

Only one way out of this in Tallahassee...and that may include a gigantic mea culpa

I wish we could...but i’ve Gone too far already (something my therapist has me doing tai chi to Control 🤪) so I must behave.
“News next week” Ratatouille open by the Holidays“. watch hahaha, it’s all it takes from Disney and they know it!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“News next week” Ratatouille open by the Holidays“. watch hahaha, it’s all it takes from Disney and they know it!
I am interested to see how they play their new construction items...

Their typical play is to delay as long as possible. “New” drives traffic and if there is a depressed travel situation, no need to start that clock

Ldno

To be honest I feel they are just touching up on finishing the France, laying the tiles upto the ride, placing signs, we all know they can overnight stock stores(trading post in Disneyland) and all they have to do is set the date. They can increase reservations in A second, i mean Chef de France started booking, we are quasi seeing movement there, the timing feels right IMHO, DeSantis just gave the phase 3 blessing because they need tourism money, increased everything to 75% capacity, crowds are going nowhere but up.

Since they are private they will still keep doing their way but probably just increase more ride capacity like Universal did at the end of the day churning up lower wait times, it’s do able we will see. I bought my tickets and days for MK and DHS but I’m waiting to see what they say about Epcot during Holiday season to be frank. Not to mention given the “glitch” on the disney servers today, seems like they are upgrading to handle more of everything!! One can hope

Kevin_W

Speaking of travel, booked my first COVID trip. Going to Utah to snowboard, Jan 1, but only booked flights that could be credited for later, and accommodations/car rental with refundable cancellation, should the virus have other plans in mind.
Of all the activities you could do, I'd feel pretty safe with skiing. You are gloved, distant, and most wear masks even when not in a pandemic.

Heppenheimer

Sooo... perhaps I'll let the resident Floridians answer this. Who is the governor hoping to please with today's announcements? I know how much of Florida's revenue comes from hotel taxes, so is he hoping that if everything opens up, the tourists will just come flooding back in? Although I can't speak for everyone in the north east, I can tell you that a big reason why nobody around here is planning on a trip to Florida (including the snowbirds) has nothing to do with restaurant and bar capacity, and has everything to do with the levels of COVID-19. Until the state gets a better handle on this, don't expect too many other states to lift their travel restrictions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To be honest I feel they are just touching up on finishing the France, laying the tiles upto the ride, placing signs, we all know they can overnight stock stores(trading post in Disneyland) and all they have to do is set the date. They can increase reservations in A second, i mean Chef de France started booking, we are quasi seeing movement there, the timing feels right IMHO, DeSantis just gave the phase 3 blessing because they need tourism money, increased everything to 75% capacity, crowds are going nowhere but up.

Since they are private they will still keep doing their way but probably just increase more ride capacity like Universal did at the end of the day churning up lower wait times, it’s do able we will see. I bought my tickets and days for MK and DHS but I’m waiting to see what they say about Epcot during Holiday season to be frank. Not to mention given the “glitch” on the disney servers today, seems like they are upgrading to handle more of everything!! One can hope
None of us are happy...in an ideal world I hope you’re right.

However we are now at the start of the virus season in the northern hemisphere. And all the models have been pretty accurate as far as trends/responses. Admit it or not.

If only Florida and Georgia are going to wdw in January...look for typical park hours to be 11:30-1:15 pm👍🏻

Vegas Disney Fan

Speaking of travel, booked my first COVID trip. Going to Utah to snowboard, Jan 1, but only booked flights that could be credited for later, and accommodations/car rental with refundable cancellation, should the virus have other plans in mind.
We just booked our first “Covid trip” last night, we’ll be coming to WDW in November, we are DL AP holders but have given up any hope of DL opening this year. In the current environment I’d prefer to drive to DL over flying to Florida but after 6 months I need my Disney fix.

Our WDW package and flights can both be modified if necessary though. Hope for the best but prepare for the worst.

Ldno

I can’t speak for anyone Living in Georgia and Florida, but from Texas some want to travel to Florida because round trip air fares are averaging $200-300 for two people, 2021 is uncertain because we don’t know if airfares will go up by any means over night, so people are taking advantage of the pricing already and saving it for another day worst case scenario.

Granted, if Disneyland were open I would head there first because tickets to California are CHEAPER but that’s another story. I like to shop around and was hoping Josh would set an opening date for DL but since that’s not the case I would rather focus on WDW, so much for Avengers Campus in 2020 now.

Jwink

Sooo... perhaps I'll let the resident Floridians answer this. Who is the governor hoping to please with today's announcements? I know how much of Florida's revenue comes from hotel taxes, so is he hoping that if everything opens up, the tourists will just come flooding back in? Although I can't speak for everyone in the north east, I can tell you that a big reason why nobody around here is planning on a trip to Florida (including the snowbirds) has nothing to do with restaurant and bar capacity, and has everything to do with the levels of COVID-19. Until the state gets a better handle on this, don't expect too many other states to lift their travel restrictions.
Yeah that’s what I think too. Nobody wants to come here because the virus is still raging (compared to other states)... will Floridians be dumb? Yeah but they’re just shooting themselves in the foot. Cases will surge and travel will stay stagnant

Heppenheimer

...but the “non-social distancing” happens back at the lodge 🏂
This upcoming season, I'm planning to stay away from the resorts that see a lot of visitors from outside the region. Won't be going to Bretton Woods, or Stowe and nixed the idea of trying Killington for the first time. Hoping that Burke Mountain, Jay Peak and Cannon Mountain remain relatively obscure skiing destinations.

BrianLo

Exactly and as someone who can't speak for "Canada", we share those sentiments. As someone on vacation currently, in a different province, who has engaged in restaurant dining this week a questionable number of times... I too won't return to Florida for the longer foreseeable future. Even though I legitimately want to and basically have a ton of cancelled tickets and credit to do so.

I have some family in the restaurant business and they informed me that places here (nebulous Canada) are actually doing bigger business than they were pre-Coronavirus. Despite the stricter policies. I've largely seen that's the case, it's kind of shocking. Now unfortunately that will change in due course when the numbers worsen. For which they are in certain problem areas.

There is a much bigger middle ground of us who are willing to actually function within safe rules. We will avoid places that are being the opposite of that. Policy (restrictions) effect numbers. Numbers effect tourism. But surprisingly, I don't really think policy is what people care about when they choose where to go, it's about numbers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Exactly and as someone who can't speak for "Canada", we share those sentiments. As someone on vacation currently, in a different province, who has engaged in restaurant dining this week a questionable number of times... I too won't return to Florida for the longer foreseeable future. Even though I legitimately want to and basically have a ton of cancelled tickets and credit to do so.

I have some family in the restaurant business and they informed me that places here (nebulous Canada) are actually doing bigger business than they were pre-Coronavirus. Despite the stricter policies. I've largely seen that's the case, it's kind of shocking. Now unfortunately that will change in due course when the numbers worsen. For which they are in certain problem areas.

There is a much bigger middle ground of us who are willing to actually function within safe rules. We will avoid places that are being the opposite of that. Policy (restrictions) effect numbers. Numbers effect tourism. But surprisingly, I don't really think policy is what people care about when they choose where to go, it's about numbers.
I would say that I applaud your sensibility and admire it...very Canadian

But I don’t want to upset Andy and have to get the paddles out 👨🏻‍⚕️

BrianLo

This upcoming season, I'm planning to stay away from the resorts that see a lot of visitors from outside the region. Won't be going to Bretton Woods, or Stowe and nixed the idea of trying Killington for the first time. Hoping that Burke Mountain, Jay Peak and Cannon Mountain remain relatively obscure skiing destinations.

If there is one positive for me; I lose the Disney parks and the big US ski hills, but gain a magical season free of Americans and crowds.

DisneyDebRob

I can’t speak for anyone Living in Georgia and Florida, but from Texas some want to travel to Florida because round trip air fares are averaging $200-300 for two people, 2021 is uncertain because we don’t know if airfares will go up by any means over night, so people are taking advantage of the pricing already and saving it for another day worst case scenario.

Granted, if Disneyland were open I would head there first because tickets to California are CHEAPER but that’s another story. I like to shop around and was hoping Josh would set an opening date for DL but since that’s not the case I would rather focus on WDW, so much for Avengers Campus in 2020 now.
Many from PA want to travel to Disney because of the cheap airfares. I mean a lot. But ask my wife how many trips she’s booking to go? They all say the same thing.. it’s so cheap right now to fly.. can get on so many rides..etc etc. she’s heard it a thousand times. But most end with.. not taking the chance.. to much money for cut back entertainment.. I’ll reach back out to you next year. So just because the governor gave the green light for everyone to go everywhere, well I think he’s mostly talking to his people in Florida.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom