Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Ok. So there are experts that have spent a huge chunk of their lifetimes studying different viruses from all over the world, partially in an effort to prevent and control outbreaks. If none of that knowledge can be applied to this virus, then their work is pretty much worthless. Good, we have a flu vaccine each year, but if you’re telling me they start from square one every time a novel virus appears, their expertise is good for nothing. They will never be able to provide appropriate knowledge outside of typical best practices? Is that what you’re saying? All of their previous research is only good for that specific virus?
You are making quite a few leaps beyond anything I wrote or implied. The discussion was about the multi-system after effects of people who have recovered from COVID-19, and the acknowledgement that we haven't seen a virus produce such a broad range of sequelae in so many people since the influenza pandemic of 1918. Of course, we can use what we know about other viruses to make educated assumptions about a new virus. But the differences between COVID-19 and other coronaviruses and non-corona respiratory viruses are revealing themselves in real time, and those new differences account for many of the reasons why we are dealing with a pandemic, as opposed to just another seasonal respiratory disease.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
People keep saying that..”no idea” If accurate, that is extremely disappointing. I would have expected better.
How can we have an idea on what the long term effects are if we haven’t gotten there yet. We have some idea what the immediate effects are and up to 9 months later. I was considering long term effects a year or more out. For example, something like lung scarring is a known impact but we don’t know if that eventually heals or at least fades or is permanent.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You are making quite a few leaps beyond anything I wrote or implied. The discussion was about the multi-system after effects of people who have recovered from COVID-19, and the acknowledgement that we haven't seen a virus produce such a broad range of sequelae in so many people since the influenza pandemic of 1918. Of course, we can use what we know about other viruses to make educated assumptions about a new virus. But the differences between COVID-19 and other coronaviruses and non-corona respiratory viruses are revealing themselves in real time, and those new differences account for many of the reasons why we are dealing with a pandemic, as opposed to just another seasonal respiratory disease.
Got it. This is better, but still very disappointing.

DisneyDebRob

That sentence is science in a nutshell..” we can use what we know about other viruses to make educational assumptions “. That’s what starts us off on the right path to figuring out best case scenarios for anything we encounter.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As I said, from studying previous viruses. I guess I was expecting too much.
It’s hard to know what to compare it to. We started looking at Covid as a respiratory virus, but then at some point this summer more and more people started to think it may actually be more of a blood disease or a combination of both. I think we are learning more and more each day but we still don’t know enough. Eventually when the dust settles in a few years we should be able to look back and see which theories were accurate and which were off base.

oceanbreeze77

but if you’re telling me they start from square one every time a novel virus appears, their expertise is good for nothing.
Its actually the opposite. They are the ones actually qualified to study this stuff. Thats literally their job. To study things from square one and let the general public know their findings.

oceanbreeze77

People keep saying that..”no idea”. If accurate, that is extremely disappointing. I would have expected better. Also, if we have no idea, we probably shouldn’t be using the potential of long term effects in our decision making process. That would be just guess work.
...the virus hasn't even been around a year. A year is not a long time on the medical calendar.

oceanbreeze77

It’s hard to know what to compare it to. We started looking at Covid as a respiratory virus, but then at some point this summer more and more people started to think it may actually be more of a blood disease or a combination of both. I think we are learning more and more each day but we still don’t know enough. Eventually when the dust settles in a few years we should be able to look back and see which theories were accurate and which were off base.
neurological too. I.e. all of the Parkinson's studies

Heppenheimer

The comparison to the 1918 influenza pandemic is probably most on-point. You can get weird after-effects from immune damage from just about any virus (potentially), but COVID-19 and the Spanish flu stand out because of both their high prevalence and the relatively high incidence of sequelae in people who have recovered from severe disease.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
The comparison to the 1918 influenza pandemic is probably most on-point. You can get weird after-effects from immune damage from just about any virus (potentially), but COVID-19 and the Spanish flu stand out because of both their high prevalence and the relatively high incidence of sequelae in people who have recovered from severe disease.
Legit question. Why no comparison to SARS? Aren’t they a part of the same ‘family’?

lazyboy97o

Ok. So there are experts that have spent a huge chunk of their lifetimes studying different viruses from all over the world, partially in an effort to prevent and control outbreaks. If none of that knowledge can be applied to this virus, then their work is pretty much worthless. Good, we have a flu vaccine each year, but if you’re telling me they start from square one every time a novel virus appears, their expertise is good for nothing. They will never be able to provide appropriate knowledge outside of typical best practices? Is that what you’re saying? All of their previous research is only good for that specific virus?
The whole reason for the back and forth on some of the guidance is because SARS-CoV-2 is not behaving like other viruses. Being contagious typically coincides with symptoms. Severity of symptoms typically correlates to after-effects.

Heppenheimer

Legit question. Why no comparison to SARS? Aren’t they a part of the same ‘family’?
You can compare them for a starting point, but once it becomes apparent that the behavior of the two viruses and their effects on the human body differ, any predictions made based on studying SARS need to be reassessed. We are long past that point with COVID-19.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You can compare them for a starting point, but once it becomes apparent that the behavior of the two viruses and their effects on the human body differ, any predictions made based on studying SARS need to be reassessed. We are long past that point with COVID-19.
How did SARS affect the human body once someone was infected? Sorry for the all the questions, just interested. I guess I could Google but you seem to have at least some knowledge in the area. Lol

DCBaker

Premium Member
Making it official moving FL into phase 3 -

"There are four major provisions of the order:

-It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan.

-It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won’t be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns.

-Local governments won’t be able to prevent restaurants from operating at below 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won’t be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification.

-Cities and counties can’t collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn’t compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine."

GimpYancIent

Making it official moving FL into phase 3 -

"There are four major provisions of the order:

-It removes all remaining state-level restrictions on businesses, including on bars and restaurants, which were capped at 75% capacity in Phase 3 of DeSantis' original reopening plan.

-It provides a general right to work and to operate a business. Local governments can limit and regulate businesses, but won’t be able to close businesses because of coronavirus concerns.

-Local governments won’t be able to prevent restaurants from operating at below 50% capacity. Under previous orders, local governments could go further than state-level restrictions, and counties in South Florida kept restaurants and bars closed after the state allowed them to reopen. Also, cities and counties won’t be able to impose any restrictions without an economic and health justification.

-Cities and counties can’t collect on any outstanding fines they issued as part of their pandemic response. The order, though, doesn’t compel local governments to refund anyone who has already paid a fine."

Finally the point has been reached where, now that guidance has been provided at nauseum, the public as in "We The People" can show responsibility, good sense and care going about living while dealing with this illness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom