Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lora Baines Bradley

Well, recent reports seem to indicate that Disney isn't having that problem any more. Shorter hours, little to no entertainment, and long lines with no FP+ does not sound like a great time.
From my (albeit limited) experience, wait times are not long. They appear long, but I have a feeling the actual wait time is inflated because they run out of queue space. My boyfriend and I rope dropped HS and MK and rode Pirates, BTMR, HM, 7DMT, Pooh, Space, MMRR, TSM, TOT, RNRC, Star Tours, Smugglers Run, Rise, and Slinky. Longest we waited was about 45 minutes for MMRR.

Lora Baines Bradley

I went to the parks the last two days (realized my AP was still valid, lol). First of all, I had a great time. My boyfriend and I rode every headliner we wanted to (I could definitely write up a trip report if y'all wanted). However, the parks were much busier than I thought they would be. I have no clue how Disney would socially distance with increased capacity in queues, because the line for Slinky at one point was almost to One Man's Dream, and that was about an 80 minute wait (posted wait time- everything we rode had a much lesser wait time than what was posted). I'm not sure how much capacity the parks were at when we went, but we didn't have a problem getting a reservation. I think a virtual queue system is a possible solution, but that's people walking through the park instead of in a line and socially distancing, so where do they go? I'm interested to see where they go from here.
10E5A9B3-324E-4A40-8C04-5E1480D17E1C.jpeg

Actually looking through my photos, line for Slinky was past OMD!

oceanbreeze77

While I am very happy to hear this news please consider getting another test in 2 -3 days. Thanks for the update

Will do if we get any symptoms. They won’t prioritise us without! I suppose that’s fair enough. Great advice though!
Wow, real wake up call here for me. Being in CA, anyone can get a test at anytime, I didn't realize that wasn't the case in so many other places. (not just your situation, I have been reading of others as well from other states) I know the country still lacks in terms of testing but I didn't realize prioritization of tests was still so prominent.

DisneyCane

These are the scenarios that are mysterious and scary. This is where contact tracing is so important! Your son went someplace and came in contact with someone, perhaps a super spreader.
It isn't out of the realm of possibility that, if he is asymptomatic, there was a false positive test. They do happen.

DisneyCane

I think many times, even in your own very post, what gets lost in all this is that it seems that death is the only barometer of how serious this virus is. 99.6% you say recover, get better or resolve but what percent of that are folks that had the most brutal virus of their lives, whether it be a few days, weeks or in some cases months. This virus is still new, so yes you will always have many medical experts theorizing, and that is ok, that is how you learn more about the virus, even if the theory is wrong and disproven, because you can at least rule out certain theory's.
I had the flu a few years ago (when I was in my 30's) and it put me completely out of commission for a week. I could barely get out of bed or stay awake for more than a few minutes at a time. Enough with this "most brutal virus" stuff. That was the only time in my life I was that sick. It just happened to be the flu. For somebody else it happens to be COVID-19.

The one thing that makes this pandemic worse than the flu is that, since it is a novel virus, the vast majority of the population doesn't have any natural immunity to it and there is no vaccine yet. I say vast majority because there are theories that some people are naturally immune for whatever reason. Therefore, it can spread easily so even a very low mortality rate (which the reality is that it is very low), causes a lot of death because so many people can become infected.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I had the flu a few years ago (when I was in my 30's) and it put me completely out of commission for a week. I could barely get out of bed or stay awake for more than a few minutes at a time. Enough with this "most brutal virus" stuff. That was the only time in my life I was that sick. It just happened to be the flu. For somebody else it happens to be COVID-19.

The one thing that makes this pandemic worse than the flu is that, since it is a novel virus, the vast majority of the population doesn't have any natural immunity to it and there is no vaccine yet. I say vast majority because there are theories that some people are naturally immune for whatever reason. Therefore, it can spread easily so even a very low mortality rate (which the reality is that it is very low), causes a lot of death because so many people can become infected.
I'm not sure you understand the differences between the Flu and Covid. Since you didn't have Covid, how can you comment on its severity? I have had 2 close with it, one was mild case and he was back at it within 4 days, the other was hospitalized. This is NOT the flu for the last time. It was the most brutal virus for him, and he had the flu several times.

DisneyCane

Out of reported cases, globally, ~3% of people who have contracted it have died. In the US, that number is 2.91% (or approximately 7 times the number that you're claiming). That's without factoring in those who don't die but suffer longer-lasting effects from the virus.

Source: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
There are countless asymptomatic and mild cases that were never discovered, especially early on. This fact is not disputed by any expert. The only unknown is how many times to multiply the reported cases to get actual cases. The estimates are as much as ten times or more.

DisneyCane

I'm not sure you understand the differences between the Flu and Covid. Since you didn't have Covid, how can you comment on its severity? I have had 2 close with it, one was mild case and he was back at it within 4 days, the other was hospitalized. This is NOT the flu for the last time. It was the most brutal virus for him, and he had the flu several times.
I'm a very ignorant person and I don't understand that this is not the flu. My point went completely over your head. People keep using this argument that COVID is the worst virus ever because some people have the worst illness they ever had from it. I've had the flu more than once in my life. One time it was the most ill I've ever been. The other times it was no big deal.

Just because for some people that get COVID it is the worst illness they've ever had it doesn't mean that COVID is any more serious than any other virus. It is slightly more deadly than common strains of influenza at this point. However, part of that also goes to the lack of immunity and exposure. People's immune systems are better equipped to fight the flu from being exposed to various strains (combined with flu shots) over the course of their lives.

COVID isn't Armageddon. Even if absolutely nothing was done to mitigate it and there was no vaccine, after the first wave of a very high number of deaths, humans would develop immunity and better ability to fight it and it would become similar to the flu. Note: I am not suggesting that nothing should be done to mitigate it, just pointing out that the issue is lack of immunity and exposure, not that SARS-CoV-2 is among the worst viruses ever to impact humans.

rowrbazzle

There are countless asymptomatic and mild cases that were never discovered, especially early on. This fact is not disputed by any expert. The only unknown is how many times to multiply the reported cases to get actual cases. The estimates are as much as ten times or more.
A meta-analysis of 79 studies published just a few days ago estimates that 20% of cases are asymptomatic. In a smaller set of seven studies looking at more wide-ranging population tests, they found the number to be 31%.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm a very ignorant person and I don't understand that this is not the flu. My point went completely over your head. People keep using this argument that COVID is the worst virus ever because some people have the worst illness they ever had from it. I've had the flu more than once in my life. One time it was the most ill I've ever been. The other times it was no big deal.

Just because for some people that get COVID it is the worst illness they've ever had it doesn't mean that COVID is any more serious than any other virus. It is slightly more deadly than common strains of influenza at this point. However, part of that also goes to the lack of immunity and exposure. People's immune systems are better equipped to fight the flu from being exposed to various strains (combined with flu shots) over the course of their lives.

COVID isn't Armageddon. Even if absolutely nothing was done to mitigate it and there was no vaccine, after the first wave of a very high number of deaths, humans would develop immunity and better ability to fight it and it would become similar to the flu. Note: I am not suggesting that nothing should be done to mitigate it, just pointing out that the issue is lack of immunity and exposure, not that SARS-CoV-2 is among the worst viruses ever to impact humans.
I think we all get your point. You don’t think Covid is a big deal and you think a lot of people are overreacting. Point made. No need to keep posting it over and over and over.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I think we all get your point. You don’t think Covid is a big deal and you think a lot of people are overreacting. Point made. No need to keep posting it over and over and over.
That’s not what I got from his previous posts. I just got that people react differently to Covid, which is typical for a virus. It’s not the same experience for all. In addition, someone could have had a very bad experience to the flu while had a easy time with Covid. Also, its highly contagious and new so many people get it. This has caused a ton of spread. But it isn’t a death sentence for everyone who does get it. Unless I’m mistaken. He can correct me.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
That’s not what I got from his previous posts. I just got that people react differently to Covid, which is typical for a virus. It’s not the same experience for all. In addition, someone could have had a very bad experience to the flu while had a easy time with Covid. Also, it highly contagious and new so many people get it. This has caused a ton of spread. But it isn’t a death sentence for everyone who does get it. Unless I’m mistaken. He can correct me.
I thought we were beyond the “it’s just the flu“ comments but carry on. I can’t be bothered having the same tired discussion so I’ll refrain from commenting further.

Chi84

Premium Member
I thought we were beyond the “it’s just the flu“ comments but carry on. I can’t be bothered having the same tired discussion so I’ll refrain from commenting further.
But that's not what the poster said. Is it possible you saw the word "flu" and just stopped reading?

DisneyCane

My point is that it isn't Armageddon and that there are other communicable viruses in existence that are also a "big deal." It is based on that fact that I think a lot of the extreme mitigation measures that were taken were an overreaction. Social distancing and enhanced sanitation protocols are a sane reaction. I don't have an issue with face covering requirements either even though I believe they don't really do much (the jury is still out on that so lets not start posting back and forth studies).

Who said, it’s just the flu? Some people see the word “flu” in a post and immediately get defensive.

Exactly. Every time I mention the flu because it is the closest comparison it immediately "triggers" some people. News flash. The flu can be very serious and deadly. I have posted before that a friend of mine's healthy daughter in her 30's died from the flu in March 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom