Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

Liquor stores seemed to be fully stocked. Poor slobs haven’t realized yet they are going to be quarantined with their spouses kids.
Since we are mostly a reactionary nation, that could be next on the shopping list. Liquor and watching sports go well together (oooops.. no sports ).

eliza61nyc

People are absolutely acting like they need to go into a bunker and it's ridiculous. A woman here in east TN got the virus while she was on a cruise and they kept her quarantined and she just made it back home. She said that she had no idea she was even sick and they tested her as a precaution and it turned out that she had it. She was 74 years old and she was on the news here telling people not to panic. I'm sure when people saw that report though they went out and bought even more stupid stuff like toilet paper and paper towels because that's how dumb people are. I'm fine with Disney wanting to close the parks if they want to from a business standpoint but people are forgetting that it's out of PRECAUTION and instead people are walking around like they're just waiting their turn to get some virus and then fall over dead. It angers me that the media has made people live in such a state of fear over a sickness that's really not that serious in the grand scheme of things. SARS killed a lot of people. West Nile killed a lot of people. Swine Flu killed a lot of people. However, there wasn't NEAR the pandemonium for those that there has been for this one. It just seems to me the most positive way to look at it is to think of the odds of SURVIVAL vs the odds of dying. When my buddy's wife got her cancer diagnosis they were telling her all the steps she needed to take and when they went to discuss radiation the Dr told her she could still have a 15% chance of it coming back and that really made her feel a sense of panic and when my buddy called to tell me about it I asked him why the Dr couldn't have instead said "you have an 85% chance of never having this again"? People just focus on the negative and will not be persuaded otherwise. I'm not saying everyone should go around coughing on each other. I'm just saying people are acting irrationally because they are.
The problem is if you don't inject some direness into the situation people WILL go around coughing on each other.

I'm in PA and truthfully people are acting just as if it was a weather event. The first few days is always silliness. People rush to the market when they hear snow is on the way.
Truthfully I'm glad people for once are taking heed .
Case in point a funny situation happened to me b2 years back. My youngest was a college student at Temple U and came down with Pnuemonia, of course I was panicking but all he cared about was making it to the Flyers game. Oh great brain surgeon, yeah go into a crowded arena and get 1000 people sick. 🤬

I'm still firmly on the side of letting people take this seriously and shorten the duration.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think a lot of people are confusing the recommendation of “social distancing” with “quarantine”. We’re not in a quarantine. We’re not told to be. We still need local economies to have something.

This is what is most frustrating about all of this... people are all over the place mentally on this,.. because we’ve never experienced anything like it.

If people want to quarantine themselves when perfectly healthy, that’s fine... but it’s not what’s asked of us right now.
Where I live the state government has asked people to avoid anywhere that 100+ people would gather. Malls are closed, all schools and daycares are closed, lots of retail and other businesses are closed, anyone who can work remotely is encouraged to do so. If you do go out in public you are encouraged to maintain a 6 foot radius between you and others (not sure how that’s possible a lot of places). You are encouraged to practice diligent prevention like hand washing and avoiding direct contact with anyone. Grocery stores and pharmacies are still open and ramping up ‘shop from home’ options and delivery services. Many restaurants (including my favorite steakhouse) which don’t normally offer takeout are offering it, some with delivery. Again, advertising they are ensuring their staff follow strict protocols on hand washing.

We are not under quarantine. There’s no restriction on travel or going out in public. It’s social distancing which is different than the quarantine setup in places like Italy and China. It is a better option to roll out mass testing along with short term social distancing vs quarantining healthy people for a longer period of time once the outbreak reaches a point of no return but time is running out and we may have no choice but to go to full quarantine which will be devastating to the economy long term.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
ESPN (Disney Corp) is going to take a huge hit due to no sports programming.
Maybe not too bad. They still get the subscriber money from cable companies either way. I don’t see Comcast givimg me a credit on my bill due to no sports on ESPN. I would also assume that if the leagues suspended play then ESPN doesn’t have to pay them for the content. So if they paid $1B for the NBA season contract and 20% of the games are suspended they should get $200M back. They will lose advertising dollars but they make more from subscribers. We also have a good shot of the leagues resuming for the playoffs when ratings are highest.

Jwink

I wish I can share your optimism but during the 2009 brutal layoffs I was kept on but a number of senior staff with years in the company were laid off and I got more responsibilities because of that.
I think it’s because they were salary... what do you think this time? Do you think it’s part timers, hourly full time, or salary employees that will be laid off? We just want to get opinions because we have mouths to feed. We are both pretty scared.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
In an ironic twist Apple has closed all Apple stores outside of China until March 27th. The silver lining is that mainland China appears to be turning the corner and is in better shape than most of the world now. Hopefully the 3 month disease arc continues elsewhere. We would be out of the woods by May.

NickMaio

People are absolutely acting like they need to go into a bunker and it's ridiculous. A woman here in east TN got the virus while she was on a cruise and they kept her quarantined and she just made it back home. She said that she had no idea she was even sick and they tested her as a precaution and it turned out that she had it. She was 74 years old and she was on the news here telling people not to panic. I'm sure when people saw that report though they went out and bought even more stupid stuff like toilet paper and paper towels because that's how dumb people are. I'm fine with Disney wanting to close the parks if they want to from a business standpoint but people are forgetting that it's out of PRECAUTION and instead people are walking around like they're just waiting their turn to get some virus and then fall over dead. It angers me that the media has made people live in such a state of fear over a sickness that's really not that serious in the grand scheme of things. SARS killed a lot of people. West Nile killed a lot of people. Swine Flu killed a lot of people. However, there wasn't NEAR the pandemonium for those that there has been for this one. It just seems to me the most positive way to look at it is to think of the odds of SURVIVAL vs the odds of dying. When my buddy's wife got her cancer diagnosis they were telling her all the steps she needed to take and when they went to discuss radiation the Dr told her she could still have a 15% chance of it coming back and that really made her feel a sense of panic and when my buddy called to tell me about it I asked him why the Dr couldn't have instead said "you have an 85% chance of never having this again"? People just focus on the negative and will not be persuaded otherwise. I'm not saying everyone should go around coughing on each other. I'm just saying people are acting irrationally because they are.
Your media has been fear mongering for decades.....this is nothing new to western society.
It is how media sells......fear.
This is not limited to Corona.
Playing percentages with humans is plain stupid.
Wake up the entire PLANET knows what is happening and how bad it can get. America is not there, yet. Look what is going on in China and Italy.
Yes irrational behaviour is going on and..........it is a perfectly natural reaction to a GLOBAL PANDEMIC.

Enjoy your weekend everyone. Take care.☺️

Crunchie9

In an ironic twist Apple has closed all Apple stores outside of China until March 27th. The silver lining is that mainland China appears to be turning the corner and is in better shape than most of the world now. Hopefully the 3 month disease arc continues elsewhere. We would be out of the woods by May.
AND then the discounts............... oh the discounts

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
9F68629B-11C4-4277-8572-8436957C2CBE.jpeg

celluloid

Its all PR when it comes to the resorts. We know the real reason is business is effected from panic and travel bans. You have the theme parks saying their resort buildings and shopping districts remain but a series of large stores and eateries are just theme parks without rides and attractions. Less costly to operate. That is why those can remain open and attempt income. The virus does not magically start at turnstiles.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I mean WDW, screw apple, and cruise ships.
Oh for sure. They may get a nice bump too from airlines waiving change fees. I know at least half a dozen people who cancelled their spring break trips to the swamps and all but 1 has rescheduled flights for August hoping things recover by then. Free dining and hotel discounts are the formula used in the past after a downturn. The big unknown is how much damage will be done to the long term economy. If we rebound strong and quickly it may not be that bad. If this social distancing lingers beyond April the economy could be more severely damaged and we could be in for a much longer recovery.

Crunchie9

Oh for sure. They may get a nice bump too from airlines waiving change fees. I know at least half a dozen people who cancelled their spring break trips to the swamps and all but 1 has rescheduled flights for August hoping things recover by then. Free dining and hotel discounts are the formula used in the past after a downturn. The big unknown is how much damage will be done to the long term economy. If we rebound strong and quickly it may not be that bad. If this social distancing lingers beyond April the economy could be more severely damaged and we could be in for a much longer recovery.

so your saying theres a chance!!! of MOAR discounts!! Hot Diggity Dawg!

disneygeek90

I work at a corporate office for a large full service restaurant company. We are heading into our final fiscal quarter for the year and I have a feeling it’s not going to be pretty.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I work at a corporate office for a large full service restaurant company. We are heading into our final fiscal quarter for the year and I have a feeling it’s not going to be pretty.
It’s going to be a rough one. Any streak of quarterly growth in just about every industry is done. Retail, travel and food services will be hit the hardest.

Nubs70

I just want more tests available. So badly.
I think we all want to know what we’re really dealing with.. not just the guesses.
Just wondering if you have much of a free for all happening in your area since your governors appearance on tv last night.

Lilofan

When it comes to "restructuring" of companies, these decisions are not made lightly. Peoples jobs and lives are directly impacted. I have survived company layoffs and at times I have survivors guilt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom