Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilofan

He is sitting good, many below him on the totem pole
I wish I can share your optimism but during the 2009 brutal layoffs I was kept on but a number of senior staff with years in the company were laid off and I got more responsibilities because of that.

Last edited:

Lilofan

City of Austin is in trouble with the cancellation of SxSW which brings in $585 million dollars to the city"

"version of South By Southwest. That event, of course, was cancelled by the city of Austin due to coronavirus concerns, leaving the organizers of the official event in a hole since their insurance doesn’t cover disease outbreaks."

SXSW laid off 33% of their full time staff.

esskay

Totally random shower thought this morning...

Over at Animal Kingdom the animals in the savannah are obviously very much used to trucks full of tourists roaming round their land all day.

Got me thinking, if thats not happening, will re-introducing it be an issue for them having had so much peace and quite for weeks.

Then it got me thinking, I wonder if they'll just send trucks out round the circuite several times a day to help keep the animals used to it.

Yeah, I was bored and am trying to keep positive 🤣

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I just want more tests available. So badly.
I think we all want to know what we’re really dealing with.. not just the guesses.
If you go ahead and assume that everybody's going to get it, why bother with the tests? Practice safe socializing and keep washing those hands.

I'm buying stock in whoever makes hand lotions.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
If you go ahead and assume that everybody's going to get it, why bother with the tests? Practice safe socializing and keep washing those hands.

I'm buying stock in whoever makes hand lotions.

As the old saying goes " knowledge is power", the more data we have the better the situation can be managed. Even if we assume everyone will get it, what we want to prevent us everyone getting it in a short period of time which would overwhelm our health care system.

rnese

...for two weeks, but no commitment beyond that. You do understand that a) this is going to go on beyond 2 weeks; and b) many other advanced countries have laws in place that provide such pay protection for much longer regardless of whether the cause is a public health emergency. The U.S. approach to supporting and protecting workers at times like this looks almost 19th century to the rest of the world.
You realize that if the park is closed it's not bringing in money. Correct?

DuckTalesWooHoo1987

Oh easy, because your ignoring the fact that we're not talking dollars, we're talking about living beings so yeah I'm scared of something that is easily transmittable AND the potential to kill 13 million (using your numbers) adults

So yes if someone wanted me to buy a lottery ticket that said I had a 4% chance of having to die,. I'd pass. Oh and the odds actually go up if you are over a certain age.

But I also don't drive drunk, skydive or any other risky behavior and I get a flu shot annually. No one is saying folks need to go full on bunker in the basement but closing a theme park for a month seems a pretty easy thing to do.
People are absolutely acting like they need to go into a bunker and it's ridiculous. A woman here in east TN got the virus while she was on a cruise and they kept her quarantined and she just made it back home. She said that she had no idea she was even sick and they tested her as a precaution and it turned out that she had it. She was 74 years old and she was on the news here telling people not to panic. I'm sure when people saw that report though they went out and bought even more stupid stuff like toilet paper and paper towels because that's how dumb people are. I'm fine with Disney wanting to close the parks if they want to from a business standpoint but people are forgetting that it's out of PRECAUTION and instead people are walking around like they're just waiting their turn to get some virus and then fall over dead. It angers me that the media has made people live in such a state of fear over a sickness that's really not that serious in the grand scheme of things. SARS killed a lot of people. West Nile killed a lot of people. Swine Flu killed a lot of people. However, there wasn't NEAR the pandemonium for those that there has been for this one. It just seems to me the most positive way to look at it is to think of the odds of SURVIVAL vs the odds of dying. When my buddy's wife got her cancer diagnosis they were telling her all the steps she needed to take and when they went to discuss radiation the Dr told her she could still have a 15% chance of it coming back and that really made her feel a sense of panic and when my buddy called to tell me about it I asked him why the Dr couldn't have instead said "you have an 85% chance of never having this again"? People just focus on the negative and will not be persuaded otherwise. I'm not saying everyone should go around coughing on each other. I'm just saying people are acting irrationally because they are.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Sadly an image to get used to for the foreseeable, worldwide.

766035E6-0943-41DE-9386-E06387E15E1F.png

courtesy Disneyland Forum Club

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom