Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I am referring to cloth masks mainly, not N95's.

Even if worn properly, they can't completely protect people, and this leads to people not socially distancing sometimes even though it is possible. For example, i will be at Publix one day shopping; we're all wearing masks, properly over the nose, and people are standing right next to me, etc. and it aggravates me to no end.

Masks help reduce spread but don't eliminate it completely. I am not anti-mask.
I agree with this, but to say they marginally help is a bit misleading. Even cloth masks have been proven to be quite effective, although as you alluded to, is not 100% immunity.

SamusAranX

Define "marginally effective."

They can't filter alot of it out;

COVID particles are small. So cloth masks really work well against expelling of large droplets, etc. but for an asymptomatic spreader who isn't coughing or sneezing, it's marginal.

DisneyDebRob

Good for you and your family! You are amazing, unselfish people who care deeply about the rest of humanity!

At almost all places I go in Florida, I can't decide not to wear one either because of government mandates or business policies so I don't really need the luck.
Good. This is one mandate I’m glad people have to do to protect others.
The daily masks posts from you saying they do very little is getting tiresome and repetitive. Most here have looked into it to better understand what masks can do and have come away believing the science that they help a great deal.

SamusAranX

The daily masks posts from you saying they do very little is getting tiresome and repetitive. Most here have looked into it to better understand what masks can do and have come away believing the science that they help a great deal.

Yes, but there are also epidemiologists and scientists out there who think they are less effective then advertised.

As long as he is not being a "karen" (i hate that term, it's my mother's name and she wears masks everywhere lol) about it and complying, if he chooses to believe they are less effective then that's his right. just don't flout the rules ;)

DisneyCane

Daily? I posted a comment about "masking our way out of it" on Friday and this today. Before that it must have been at least weeks. I've looked into it and determined that cloth face coverings (as opposed to non-vented N95 masks) don't do all that much. As I've said, if wearing a pointless face covering allows me to go to WDW or other places I'd like to go, then I'll play along.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Daily? I posted a comment about "masking our way out of it" on Friday and this today. Before that it must have been at least weeks. I've looked into it and determined that cloth face coverings (as opposed to non-vented N95 masks) don't do all that much. As I've said, if wearing a pointless face covering allows me to go to WDW or other places I'd like to go, then I'll play along.
Yeah. You hardly post anymore..other than the daily Florida numbers. Lol :)

DisneyDebRob

Yes, but there are also epidemiologists and scientists out there who think they are less effective then advertised.

As long as he is not being a "karen" (i hate that term, it's my mother's name and she wears masks everywhere lol) about it and complying, if he chooses to believe they are less effective then that's his right. just don't flout the rules ;)
We can find a small percent of scientists that believe different things of course. In fact there’s even a small percentage that still don’t believe totally in global warming.( not derailing the thread, just making a point) Might even find one or two that believe that Bigfoot can be out there. I’ll always choose to go with the plus 90% of them, majority on anything.

DisneyDebRob

I apologize if I said daily.Could be mixing you up with someone else. Maybe it’s just when I see a post from you it’s about masks. Either way we have been through the mask debate enough. We know where everyone stands. No one is changing their mind, let’s move on.

rowrbazzle

They can't filter alot of it out;

COVID particles are small. So cloth masks really work well against expelling of large droplets, etc. but for an asymptomatic spreader who isn't coughing or sneezing, it's marginal.
I don't think it's about filtering out the virus itself, but rather keeping it from getting to you or others in the first place. As you said, masks appear to help prevent spread via droplets. I think marginally effective undersells the growing body of evidence in favor of them.

For what it's worth, masks do appear to help prevent asymptomatic spread (pre-symptomatic really). Here's a study that looked at the impact of masks (and other measures) on reducing transmission within families. Masks were more effective before symptoms emerged. If people are infectious pre-symptoms, then by the time symptoms do show up it will be too late (given the contact frequency in families).

Last edited:

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Joking about it? I've known mothers whose Marine sons were KIA in Iraq. That's an unforgivable comparison!
To be fair, this person did not make the comparison, but made a joke about another user making the comparison. People make jokes on the forum all the time, many around serious topics. Some hit. Some miss. Maybe benefit of the doubt is in order all around here.

techgeek

This is a link to 70 studies, going back to 2004, that support the use of face masks in preventing the transmission of respiratory viruses.

No, not all masks work equally. No, it does not prevent transmission in all situations and in all cases. There are straw men that can be advanced in any such discussion... but this community, the overwhelming majority of the scientific community, and the world at large has sided with 'masks work' for a reason.

I applaud the instinct to question and do your own independent research, however if the conclusions reached run contrary to such a well established base of fundamental medical principle, then personally I would question my own methods in coming to those conclusions.

GimpYancIent

Hay! Here is a thought. Soon the NBA soap opera circus will be gone and something beneficial to the general public can be done. I recommend, since ESPN is not getting much use, setting up a COVID19 vaccination site at ESPN. That is when the vaccine becomes available of course. There is now time to think it through. Make getting a vaccine a positive event for the youngsters, for that matter any age. I believe there is potential there for a PR boost for Disney and to take the stress edge off the vaccine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom