Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

Makes sense. I have only ever stayed at the deluxe there so didn’t know they had that limitation. I knew the values didn’t get express pass. In normal times definitely worth the upgrade to deluxe to get Express Pass. Not sure if it’s needed now but maybe still some rides with crowds.
They will upgrade you to the Hard Rock if you want so not bad if you still want to go. Very short, beautiful walk to the park from there.

Jrb1979

Amen....but as @The Mom said...no point in woulda, shoulda, coulda. We chose our path and the only thing to do now is to figure out what to do going forward. No easy answers. Let’s hope some lessons were learned.
To answer what to do going forward is to discourage travel out of state. To make that work is to have mandatory quarantine if you leave your state for anything other then work. Its worked here as many people aren't traveling far outside their area for vacation.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
To answer what to do going forward is to discourage travel out of state. To make that work is to have mandatory quarantine if you leave your state for anything other then work. Its worked here as many people aren't traveling far outside their area for vacation.
With the summer unwinding travel will naturally go down. A lot of the travel related hot spots popped up in June as summer hit full swing.

Heppenheimer

Heppenheimer

I'm not sure that would make sense across the board. For example, I live in Vermont close to the New Hampshire border. Other than grocery stores, most of our shopping needs are on the other side of the border. If they imposed restrictions on travel between states (which would be likely shot down on Constitutional grounds anyway), I and other people in my area (where COVID is almost non-existent) would need to drive across the state to the Burlington area fr shopping, which is the only region in the state that has needed to deal with outbreaks. Applied uniformally as a blunt tool, a blanket state travel ban could have some unintended consequences.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I'm not sure that would make sense across the board. For example, I live in Vermont close to the New Hampshire border. Other than grocery stores, most of our shopping needs are on the other side of the border. If they imposed restrictions on travel between states (which would be likely shot down on Constitutional grounds anyway), I and other people in my area (where COVID is almost non-existent) would need to drive across the state to the Burlington area fr shopping, which is the only region in the state that has needed to deal with outbreaks. Applied uniformally as a blunt tool, a blanket state travel ban could have some unintended consequences.
I’ve seen states where they specifically call out your situation as an exception. They list out the counties where it’s ok to cross to the next state for that reason. I think each state and area is different. For example Kansas City sits right between Missouri and Kansas so many people who work in Kansas City Missouri live in Overland Park or somewhere on the Kansas side. Same with NYC where lots of people commute in from NJ and CT. There are many other examples too. What is more practical is for states to allow regional travel so VT allows certain people to come in from surrounding states. I actually think their plan is the way to go because they go down to the county level instead of blanket states. So my county in PA is not exempt from quarantine requirements but some counties in the northern part of the state with very few cases are exempt.

Jrb1979

I’ve seen states where they specifically call out your situation as an exception. They list out the counties where it’s ok to cross to the next state for that reason. I think each state and area is different. For example Kansas City sits right between Missouri and Kansas so many people who work in Kansas City Missouri live in Overland Park or somewhere on the Kansas side. Same with NYC where lots of people commute in from NJ and CT. There are many other examples too. What is more practical is for states to allow regional travel so VT allows certain people to come in from surrounding states. I actually think their plan is the way to go because they go down to the county level instead of blanket states. So my county in PA is not exempt from quarantine requirements but some counties in the northern part of the state with very few cases are exempt.
That I think would work. What I was getting at is why I think cases are rising in many parts of the world and the US is the amount of traveling that many are doing. Here they have been encouraging people to take vacations in province to help support the economy here.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1597500275167.png

1597500307372.png

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
16% isn't much better...
Lol. 8.5% better is pretty significant. Anyways testing is down in the state which they are trying to figure out. Partly due to decreased demand but that’s not the whole story either. Cases and hospitalizations have been dropping as well. Overall improvement but they need to have some more consistent data to sort out the positivity rate.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Lol. 8.5% better is pretty significant. Anyways testing is down in the state which they are trying to figure out. Partly due to decreased demand but that’s not the whole story either. Cases and hospitalizations have been dropping as well. Overall improvement but they need to have some more consistent data to sort out the positivity rate.
I still think our path to improvement overall is focusing on quick testing that’s cheap and easy. If we got to to point where everyone who is out moving around could get tested at least once a week or even better several times a week we could probably get a lot more activity going and at the same time significantly reduce infections.

I know it’s a very unique situation, but look at the NBA bubble. It’s working. People are going in and out of that bubble all the time (workers and media types if not players) and there have only been a handful of positive tests with none amongst the players. They follows strict mask rules and distancing for the workers and the NBA is testing all the players regularly. I know that’s impractical for real life, but it’s a small example of how if we had strict following of the distancing and mask protocols and frequent testing we could have more people out and about mixing with way less cases.

This isn’t directed at you, just a general observation, people will read what I wrote and immediately start a response saying things like masks are unproven and even though we have restrictions cases are still up so nothing matters, but the truth of the matter is we haven’t all really tried. Enough people ignore the rules thinking it’s OK for me, one exception doesn’t matter. We also don’t have the testing available or ramped up that we need or the cooperation needed to do it. If the trade off was presented as bars and restaurants and theme parks and graduation parties and weddings could all happen for everyone if we all committed to wearing masks and we all committed to daily or frequent testing how many people would still resist it? Way too many. We cannot go back and redo the last 6 months but we could plan for the next 6 by ramping up research and production on quick testing if people would buy in. Instead they want to do all those things and pretend the virus is gone or harmless and it’s all some media created fear that’s unwarranted. The fact of the matter is we are stuck in this limbo where the economy is sputtering (look at WDW or any bar/restaurant). The masses are not going to just stop “fearing the virus” and be willing to stick their heads in the sand and go back to normal life. Our only real way to make a change is to embrace masks, embrace social distancing and embrace more testing and more tracing. I just don’t see the government making an effort to push this agenda which is why I fear we are going to be stuck in this limbo for 6 months or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom