Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
If you have a smart phone, you are being tracked. It's been that way for many years. Attaching a COVID tracker to that is a piece of cake, if they even had to do anything.
It’s not a tracker using GPS. It assigns you a unique identifier and uses your phone’s Bluetooth to compile a list of any device that comes within a certain distance of your device. There’s no push back of any information from your phone, just a list of unique identifiers stored on your device. When someone tests positive for Covid if they are participating then the department of health sends a message out to all participants with the positive person’s identifier and if it’s on your phone’s list you are notified to get tested.

October82

And practically every institution responsible for making sure the data is collected and presented correctly is going to benefit greatly from the handouts. Would Harvard or Princeton bend over backwards for a $50 million grant? Absolutely. This is not about 1 pharmaceutical company benefitting. There is the equivalent of 10,000 grants that size in the stimulus package, and they are talking about more. Let that sink in for a minute. 10,000, $50 million handouts.

Once again, the basic problem is not knowing how science works. Before it was ignorance around the basic processes of research and training, now it is not understanding the funding model.

Universities do not profit off of research grants. University endowments are supported by philanthropy and long term investments, not by the research grants that university researchers receive. The majority of the money is spent paying the salaries of researchers, graduate students and postdocs. The rest is spent paying costs associated with the facilities needed to conduct research. Science is, in general, woefully underfunded.

As an aside, as someone who has worked on projects with comparable budgets to vaccine development, I've never heard of a research grant approaching anywhere near that level of spending. I'm guessing you're referring to something other than basic research grants, like those that a university would receive.

If there's an app being built for Apple and Android, you can guarantee there is good money in it for them too.

Although I'm not so cynical as to believe that everything a company does is motivated by profit, companies like Apple and Google develop these technologies as a way of enhancing their overall market position, or because these technologies have benefits to ancillary businesses. Once again, we don't need to embrace conspiracy theories about what motivates people if we actually understand what they're doing.

I don't mean to be rude, but I really hope the cynicism that your comments reflect isn't a part of the rest of your life. Yes, there are evil people in the world. No, that doesn't mean that everyone is evil and out for themselves.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Speaking of experts who got it wrong, Dr. Drew apologized for dismissing the seriousness of COVID...

This is why you look at the data, peer reviewed research, and the consensus. And not a handful of doctors who tried something and they got good (or bad) results. Coincidences and non-causal correlations need to be ruled out by the scientific method. It's a methodology that is not going to get you the 100% correct answer immediately. It is self correcting and takes time.

Hawg G

Speaking of experts who got it wrong, Dr. Drew apologized for dismissing the seriousness of COVID...

This is why you look at the data, peer reviewed research, and the consensus. And not a handful of doctors who tried something and they got good (or bad) results. Coincidences and non-causal correlations need to be ruled out by the scientific method. It's a methodology that is not going to get you the 100% correct answer immediately. It is self correcting and takes time.

I’m still looking for that scientific method data about masks. And about how destroying family businesses will help. Could you point me the way?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom