Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchdown

My dad had a stroke a month and a half ago and he was not tested when admitted to the hospital, while he was there for a week, nor when he was transferred to a rehab facility. We could not believe that he was not going to be tested before being admitted to the rehab and when we asked multiple times, we were told he couldn't have one. If I was someone that was in that rehab unit and knew that they were not testing new admittance, I would be livid. He was in rehab for 3 weeks and never got tested once. Still hasn't. He's a long time smoker and 2 open heart surgeries and now battling what they believe to be Parkinson's. We live in SW Florida, Lee County.

That’s incredibly sad, I love SW Florida but I’m very glad I’m not there now.

hopemax

So two things- I’m no longer shaken by something above 10K... it’s (unfortunately) a shrug now ‘norm’

and that death toll is nasty 😱
Remember earlier in this thread where people couldn't wrap their heads around the idea of 60,000 people in the US dying because we were only at about 8000? Now, we're approaching 150,000 and it to is shrugs. ☹

In the other thread, there has been a lot of angst over the published daily total doesn't mean anything because it's reporting from multiple days. Now, that the last couple weeks are being filled in

7/5: 88
7/6: 95
7/7: 104
7/8: 98
7/9: 83
7/10: 90
7/11: 99
7/12: 103
7/13: 90
7/14: 88
7/15: 86
7/16: 80

FL is a long way from their days of 20-30 deaths in early June.

DCBaker

Premium Member
"AMC announced this morning that it planning to reopen its multiplexes beginning mid-to-late August instead of the previously announced date of July 30.

The chain didn’t go into details in its announcement this morning about which 450 U.S. theaters would be reopening and where. The chain was originally planning a phased weekend-by-weekend reopening approach. The release specified that a third of all AMC cinemas in Europe and the Middle East are already open and operating normally."

oceanbreeze77

I’m waiting patiently for the spin in the other thread. I’m sure it’s coming. Bad numbers all around on that chart.
Remember earlier in this thread where people couldn't wrap their heads around the idea of 60,000 people in the US dying because we were only at about 8000? Now, we're approaching 150,000 and it to is shrugs. ☹

In the other thread, there has been a lot of angst over the published daily total doesn't mean anything because it's reporting from multiple days. Now, that the last couple weeks are being filled in

7/5: 88
7/6: 95
7/7: 104
7/8: 98
7/9: 83
7/10: 90
7/11: 99
7/12: 103
7/13: 90
7/14: 88
7/15: 86
7/16: 80

FL is a long way from their days of 20-30 deaths in early June.
I just dont understand how those people can be okay with it.

oceanbreeze77

"AMC announced this morning that it planning to reopen its multiplexes beginning mid-to-late August instead of the previously announced date of July 30.

The chain didn’t go into details in its announcement this morning about which 450 U.S. theaters would be reopening and where. The chain was originally planning a phased weekend-by-weekend reopening approach. The release specified that a third of all AMC cinemas in Europe and the Middle East are already open and operating normally."

they will continue to push that date back....

hopemax

I just dont understand how those people can be okay with it.
Honestly, it is a human coping mechanism. Humans can't live in an eternal state of despair, so our brains have adapted to try to process negative information. It's not "bad" but we have to be mindful that it exists. People will also say, "nothing could have been done." Which isn't true, it's just a way for people to move on. "Nobody ever could have predicted" is another common one, while the people who did predict bang their heads against walls.

oceanbreeze77

Honestly, it is a human coping mechanism. Humans can't live in an eternal state of despair, so our brains have adapted to try to process negative information. It's not "bad" but we have to be mindful that it exists. People will also say, "nothing could have been done." Which isn't true, it's just a way for people to move on. "Nobody ever could have predicted" is another common one, while the people who did predict bang their heads against walls.
Id like to give those people the benefit of the doubt, but based on some of the things that have been said, I'm more inclined to believe they're selfish and heartless.

cgersic

That’s incredibly sad, I love SW Florida but I’m very glad I’m not there now.
We are lucky in that we live on an island and lead a pretty much secluded life anyway. :) I'm just disgusted regarding the testing. You still can't get tested around here without waiting in line and then they run out.

Kevin_W

Id like to give those people the benefit of the doubt, but based on some of the things that have been said, I'm more inclined to believe they're selfish and heartless.

This is a long read, but I think it sums up the feelings of many: https://mikerowe.com/2020/07/im-not-ignoring-covid/

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Mike (or his faith in the opinions of Dr. Osterholm), but he is pretty eloquent about his views.

hopemax

This is a long read, but I think it sums up the feelings of many: https://mikerowe.com/2020/07/im-not-ignoring-covid/

I'm not saying I agree or disagree with Mike (or his faith in the opinions of Dr. Osterholm), but he is pretty eloquent about his views.
A good portion of our daily arguments could be avoided if some people believed that Dr. Osterholm's prediction that deaths could reach 480,000 is plausible, like Mike Rowe has. That cases will translate into a predictable, percentage of deaths, that is more than the flu. The virus will continue to spread. At least my frustration comes from the "the virus is burning itself out / this can't get worse / most people who are at risk of dying has already died," narrative. No, we are only a quarter to a third of the way through this. Normalcy, is still a long way in front of us.

An interesting note is that his COVID precautions include "getting tested often." Which is not an option that is available to most of us, without overwhelming the system. I would be a lot more willing to accept greater reopenings, if I knew people were getting regularly tested. I am not comfortable, because even high risk workplaces resist testing all of their employees, once.

From his blog:

"He’s also the only expert I know of who hasn’t walked back his numbers, reconsidered his position, or moved the goalposts with regard to what we must do, what we can do, and what he expects to happen next. I say all of this because Dr. Osterholm also predicted that we could easily see 100 million COVID cases in this country, with a very strong possibility of 480,000 fatalities – even if we successfully “flattened the curve.”

It took me a few weeks to accept this scenario, because 480,000 fatalities is a frightening number, and lot of other experts were saying lots of conflicting things. But eventually, I came to the conclusion that Dr. Osterholm was probably correct, and quickly navigated the four stages of grief that usually precede acceptance – denial, anger, bargaining, and depression. By late April, I had come to accept Dr. Osterholm’s predictions as a matter of fact. "

oceanbreeze77

It took me a few weeks to accept this scenario, because 480,000 fatalities is a frightening number, and lot of other experts were saying lots of conflicting things. But eventually, I came to the conclusion that Dr. Osterholm was probably correct, and quickly navigated the four stages of grief that usually precede acceptance – denial, anger, bargaining, and depression. By late April, I had come to accept Dr. Osterholm’s predictions as a matter of fact. "
People who have been watching covid closely are prepared for at least 500,000 deaths. Even when the lockdowns first started and everyone's like "ohh it'll be only 100,000," people that followed closely knew what was more than likely. Hopefully, we can stop it before it gets that high, but theres a large group of us who won't be surprised if it reaches that level.

Casper Gutman

This is an eloquent reiteration of a lot of the nonsense we keep hearing from folks who want to ignore the crisis in favor of a full-blown return to normalcy.

First, Rowe picks an expert who tells him what he wants to hear. Absurdly, he praises this expert because he "hasn’t walked back his numbers, reconsidered his position, or moved the goalposts with regard to what we must do, what we can do, and what he expects to happen next." This is, of course, absolutely what you DON'T want from an expert dealing with a novel emerging threat. You want someone who will adapt to new information. It also doesn't seem to be a fair characterization of Osterholm - a brief glance at articles about him seem to indicate he is changing his outlook as the situation changes. For one thing, he is no longer predicting 480,000 fatalities, but a possible range of 850,000 to 950,000. Rowe is playing the concrete man of action part here, refusing to acknowledge or adapt to the troubling uncertainty that comes with an unfamiliar pandemic.

Rowe is using Osterholm to essentially throw up his hands and say, "welp, nothing I can do." Despite saying he doesn't want to sound fatalistic, he is being fatalistic. He'll take some steps - masking - which is good, but otherwise he's using his fatalism as a way to do pretty much what he wants. This doesn't seem to be what Osterholm would endorse, either. He feels that strict measures such as those in NYC controlled infection spread but that we opened much too quickly and that we probably need to lockdown some places again. Much of his pessimism is based on the idea that people aren't willing to take necessary steps. So it seems, in fact, he is advocating for exactly the opposite attitude Rowe is demonstrating - our actions CAN directly effect outcomes.

It also needs to be mentioned that Osterholm specifically dislikes viewing this crisis from a "macro" level, reminding folks that each loss is a massive tragedy effecting a large circle of people.

Rowe also makes the very familiar move of comparing covid to car accidents, which are famously not contagious.

Basically, Rowe had a conclusion he wanted to reach to justify the actions he wanted to take and cherry-picked expert opinions to justify it.

The simple truth is that this is a weird and scary situation. Almost no one alive has any personal experience with this kind of pandemic. Heck, many more people have direct experience of a world war. It's very hard to grapple with the fact that we are living in a period of unprecedented upheaval and change - far easier to yell, "This is the way things have always been and things don't change and neither will I." People cope with fear and disruption in healthy and unhealthy ways. One unhealthy way of coping is to pretend that the problem doesn't exist or that individual action can't effect it. It's destructive, but it's human.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
1595521637256.png

1595521659591.png

Dutch Inn '76

Thanks for posting that. I read it yesterday on another site, but couldn't find it again. I think it sums up my feelings exactly: wear a mask and get on with your life. That's what we all should be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom