Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyCane

You are right! It's actually WORSE than the flu! (mortality percentage is higher. Infection rate is higher).

The infection rate is not higher at this point. It likely would be if left completely unchecked for the simple fact that there is no vaccine but several strains of the flu are prevented with the flu shot.

The mortality rate may or may not be worse than the flu. Nowhere near enough data on actual total infections. If the Ohio Dept. of Health is correct and there are currently over 100,000 cases in Ohio then the mortality rate could be in line with the flu. A flu-like 0.1% mortality rate would be 100 deaths. Nobody has died yet in Ohio. Personally, my instinct for weeks (and I posted this very early on in this thread) is that there are a lot more cases than known but I have my doubts there are that many in one state. In all likelihood the mortality rate will probably end up being 3-6 times that of the flu.

Of course that isn't good but it isn't the end of days plague that it is being made out to be and leading to these extreme measures like closing WDW parks.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
The infection rate is not higher at this point. It likely would be if left completely unchecked for the simple fact that there is no vaccine but several strains of the flu are prevented with the flu shot.

The mortality rate may or may not be worse than the flu. Nowhere near enough data on actual total infections. If the Ohio Dept. of Health is correct and there are currently over 100,000 cases in Ohio then the mortality rate could be in line with the flu. A flu-like 0.1% mortality rate would be 100 deaths. Nobody has died yet in Ohio. Personally, my instinct for weeks (and I posted this very early on in this thread) is that there are a lot more cases than known but I have my doubts there are that many in one state. In all likelihood the mortality rate will probably end up being 3-6 times that of the flu.

Of course that isn't good but it isn't the end of days plague that it is being made out to be and leading to these extreme measures like closing WDW parks.

Without adequate testing, you can't say the infection rate is not higher. The shed rate of the Novel coronavirus is higher than that of the SARS coronavirus. Reason it's spreading so fast and far.

gerarar

Premium Member
Sooooo, any predictions to how fast BGs will go as people try to get their last minute fix of ROTR before the parks close for the unforseen future, as if it's some type of addiction?!?

(thought I needed to inject some parks discussion into this forum after reading the past 50+ pages for the past hour.. ;) )

esskay

That's going to strange paying the park cast and they stay home, but the resort cast have to come to work to get paid.
Who's saying they'll stay at home?

Plenty of work can still be done at the parks. From cleaning to basic maintenance. I mean, I can't imagine we'll see anything major given the short notice but theres no reason cast members can't be redeployed to do a deep clean on everything. Heck maybe we'll even see the monorail beam cleaning finally finished!

I'd imagine some training can also still go ahead, good time to get cast members trained up in areas they've not yet worked in.

I’m pretty sure less than a week ago I wrote closing all the parks would be apocalyptic or similar. Kind of shows how fast thing are changing.

Likewise, things are changing so fast (and then some sad SOB decided to dig that post up and post a "You were saying?" message, like its some sort of competition to see who's 'right' :facepalm: )

Lilofan

Who's saying they'll stay at home?

Plenty of work can still be done at the parks. From cleaning to basic maintenance. I mean, I can't imagine we'll see anything major given the short notice but theres no reason cast members can't be redeployed to do a deep clean on everything. Heck maybe we'll even see the monorail beam cleaning finally finished!

I'd imagine some training can also still go ahead, good time to get cast members trained up in areas they've not yet worked in.

Likewise, things are changing so fast (and then some sad SOB decided to dig that post up and post a "You were saying?" message, like its some sort of competition to see who's 'right' :facepalm: )
Please read the official word from Disney. " Cast will be paid during the closure". And you think they are all going to work??

esskay

Please read the official word from Disney. " Cast will be paid during the closure". And you think they are all going to work??

Yeah it says they'll be paid. Doesn't say they aren't expected to come to work if they can.

Edit: Also given resorts and Disney Springs arent closing I think its safe to say they are expected to keep working - and thats the right thing to do IMO, this isn't a free paid time off for the sake of it, its so that if you have to self isolate you still get paid.

Lilofan

Yeah it says they'll be paid. Doesn't say they aren't expected to come to work if they can.

Edit: Also given resorts and Disney Springs arent closing I think its safe to say they are expected to keep working - and thats the right thing to do IMO, this isn't a free paid time off for the sake of it, its so that if you have to self isolate you still get paid.
That's good wishful thinking on your part but cast being paid during the closure, the writing is on the wall.

Lilofan

People need to come to grips that the parks will be unrecognizable when the parks open back up. It took the parks about 4 years to fully recover from 9/11, and its already been established this is much worse than 2001. Nearly every segment of TWDC is either shut down or winding down, it is going to take years to see the parks back up to the level of investment and general show quality we have enjoyed the last few years
Hopefully lay-offs don't affect the cast with the downturn in business.

LSLS

Experts in infectious disease? Or politicians and media sorts telling you what experts in infectious disease said?

I read and keep up with the CDC status, do you?

Here's what it is:

Coronaviruses are a large family of viruses that are common in people and many different species of animals, including camels, cattle, cats, and bats. Rarely, animal coronaviruses can infect people and then spread between people such as with MERS-CoV, SARS-CoV, and now with this new virus (named SARS-CoV-2).

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir.

(read, not "new", just a new strain)

And here's the current "severity":

The complete clinical picture with regard to COVID-19 is not fully known. Reported illnesses have ranged from very mild (including some with no reported symptoms) to severe, including illness resulting in death. While information so far suggests that most COVID-19 illness is mild, a reportexternal icon out of China suggests serious illness occurs in 16% of cases. Older people and people of all ages with severe underlying health conditions — like heart disease, lung disease and diabetes, for example — seem to be at higher risk of developing serious COVID-19 illness.

Here's what the bolded text means.

"not fully known" - Yes, they don't know it because they don't have a proper data set to report (which I've been saying)
"very mild...to severe" - Yes, it presents and reacts differently to different people. This is not uncommon with any illness of this sort.
"...most...illness is mild...icon out of China..." - You can click the link and read it if you choose. "reportexternalicon" is a coding error for the person who put the webpage together.

But, here's the summary, also bolded for severity:
The median age of the patients was 47 years; 41.9% of the patients were female. The primary composite end point occurred in 67 patients (6.1%), including 5.0% who were admitted to the ICU, 2.3% who underwent invasive mechanical ventilation, and 1.4% who died. Only 1.9% of the patients had a history of direct contact with wildlife. Among nonresidents of Wuhan, 72.3% had contact with residents of Wuhan, including 31.3% who had visited the city. The most common symptoms were fever (43.8% on admission and 88.7% during hospitalization) and cough (67.8%). Diarrhea was uncommon (3.8%). The median incubation period was 4 days (interquartile range, 2 to 7). On admission, ground-glass opacity was the most common radiologic finding on chest computed tomography (CT) (56.4%). No radiographic or CT abnormality was found in 157 of 877 patients (17.9%) with nonsevere disease and in 5 of 173 patients (2.9%) with severe disease. Lymphocytopenia was present in 83.2% of the patients on admission.

Or you can believe the media and politicians who tell you they read it, then grossly misrepresent it. Strange, when the information is at your fingertips.

I haven't watched a second of news or heard one thing from a politician. And yes, I do keep up with the CDC. The issue is in your bolded. 5.0% admitted to the ICU. The concern is not really the number of deaths directly from the virus (which we do not know yet), it's the overwhelming of the hospitals.

Italy is in real trouble with it:
"Franky, I don't know for how long the health system can cope, I don't even want to think about how it could end," Milan's Sacco Hospital infectious disease department head Massimo Galli told the Financial Times. "We are holding up, but other hospitals are much worse off than us and it is a fact that we will come increasingly under pressure in the coming days."

"Some people still think that the measures in place are exaggerated," said Galli. "I would like to say to them to come and see what's going on in our departments."

In Seattle:
“Our hospitals are already stretched to capacity,” said C. Ryan Keay, the medical director of the emergency department at Providence Regional Medical Center in Everett, Wash., near Seattle, which is dealing with the largest outbreak in the country. “We’re a hospital that is always full, so it doesn’t take much to tip us over the edge.”

Worries from Harvard:
The novel coronavirus could result in 10 million to 34 million hospital visits, based on statistics from other countries, according to the Harvard Global Health Institute. About one-fifth of those patients will require intensive care. With 2.8 hospital beds per 1,000 people, the United States has fewer than Italy’s 3.2 beds per 1,000, China’s 4.3 and South Korea’s 12.3.

If hospitals are overwhelmed, now you are affecting people well beyond those with COVID-19. That is why you have seen the responses you have seen in other countries. And that is why there is such worry by the experts here.

ELG13

We were due to go in May which is still a possibility but I'm wondering....if we don't activate our annual passes then, It won't be until next year that we can go (I'm due to deliver in July/August). How long do we have to activate these things before they expire? I feel like I saw a crazy date like 2030 or something but I wasn't sure.

phillip9698

Disney has no excuse to have any element of the parks in anything less than perfect condition when they open back up, not with all these paid cast members available as extra hands. (Yeti excluded as that dude seems to be on permanent paid leave)

You think a cook can be re-assigned to maintenance on a whim? You dont just hand someone a toolbox or paint bucket and say go. You would end up with less work done than if you just let the actual maintenance staff be because instead of actually working, your trained maintenance staff is spending their time training and supervising.

smooch

Well today has been an absolutely exhausting day. 30 minutes after I got out of class I got an email saying all classes were being forced to move online, all the Disney park closures were announced, the DOW absolutely tanked, and the ongoing oil war isn't looking too hot. I literally had to stop and take a nap mid day to get a break from just hearing bad news after bad news (I'm pretty annoyed with classes moving online, even though I was originally in 2 in person, 1 hybrid, and 2 online classes, I liked being in person for the 2 classes because it really made learning tough topics easier).

Otamin

This is an awful decision. We’re shooting ourselves in the foot over Something similar to the common cold. Absolutely ridiculous.
With no disrespect this is an incredibly ignorant thing to say.

Both COVID-19 and the common cold are coronaviruses but they behave differently.

This isn't some conspiracy even if many here oddly believe that to be the case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom