Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickeymiss

Put it this way. Any business that closes at this point will need an evidence based reason or else we should just close everything “just in case”. This isn’t March. I would want proof that transmission is occurring in these adapted theme park environments. It’s punitive to close a park that is doing everything under the sun to reduce risk before they even open. I have a strong feeling that the spike is coming from a combination of tightly packed bar events, household gatherings and protests. This would create an inevitable assembly line of close contacts testing positive. Good news is that they enter quarantine sooner for knowing they were exposed. We also know a certain percentage is from contact tracing. This could mean asymptomatic people carry the virus to some degree from close contact with a symptomatic person but not as likely to spread it around or even get sick.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I really really do hope this is the worst it gets for Florida and the other states that are seeing spikes in numbers. We are talking about a local lockdown in one of our cities over here (UK) for a rise in cases which aren't overly significant and mainly due to outbreaks in food processing plants - but still they are talking of not allowing any easing of restrictions (no bars/hairdressers opening) for another two weeks (we are due to open on Saturday) and perhaps more severe restrictions if it doesn't flatten - I would seriously have a heart attack if we got the amount of cases Florida is getting in the UK - still think the WDW is one of the safest places you can go though and I genuinely hope their reopening goes well and that a downward trend is seen very soon.

The testing situation seems chats though? we cant get people to take tests over here and they're free!! 98,000 tests done in UK today and we have capacity for 280,000 (including antibody tests) - our govt are begging people to come forward!

I wish we had that problem...

It’s more the opposite. US states are still mostly on their own on testing...no uniform strategy.

And then this: states are trying to restart their travel industries...because it’s huge losses everywhere...and some are implementing “no quarantine required if you have a negative covid test documented within 3 days of arrival”

That is basically logistically impossible...due to access and/or lag in many areas.

...and Florida won’t even tell people to put a mask on. That’s what George Washington rebelled against - apparently 🙄

Rider

If I owned the McDonald's across the street I would be sending employees over to walk that line and take orders for delivery right to your car.
I know this was a joke but that's a good way for you to get all your employees sick and go out of business.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think it’s easier for DisneyLand to roll back because they never had comprehensive plans to begin with. They never got to the point of spending every resource to make the plans happen. DisneyWorld has transformed the whole park experience to accommodate safety. They get a lot of credit from me for that. I didn’t know if it was possible and they made a truly exceptional plan. We’ve learned more since the initial closure. We know it doesn’t easily spread between strangers. We know that outdoors is favorable to limit spread and we have been repeatedly told that masks prevented protest transmission. Disney will have mask requirements combined with distancing. It feels like it makes no sense to delay when they are in a good position.

I live in a state with a small population and haven’t gone anywhere that’s open yet. It’s still kind of cold here and we don’t have much to do. I watch vlogs about Disney Springs with envy. I’d rather be there than here. It’s so beautiful and spread out. The sun is shining on everyone and I’ve never seen a video so far where it seemed dangerous.
Disneyland had a plan in place too. They have a reservation system setup due to park capacity limits, they have physical distancing setup for ride queues, they have extra hand sanitizing stations and cleaning procedures setup, their hotels, restaurants and shops have very similar restrictions to WDW, they have the same mask policy. The only real difference for DLR is they don’t have the transport issues but they do have a plan for crowds funneling into the DTD and front of parks area from the garage and lots.

I have no issues with Disney’s plan for either coast. They are certainly going above and beyond what the state would require for FL (see LEGOLAND). It’s the timing of the execution of the plan. The reason why the plan was to open in July and not April was to open in a time when the case load was at an acceptable level. So to me the question is still outstanding for Disney. The answer may be that they don’t feel the current situation is bad enough to delay. That’s their call to make.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disneyland had a plan in place too. They have a reservation system setup due to park capacity limits, they have physical distancing setup for ride queues, they have extra hand sanitizing stations and cleaning procedures setup, their hotels, restaurants and shops have very similar restrictions to WDW, they have the same mask policy. The only real difference for DLR is they don’t have the transport issues but they do have a plan for crowds funneling into the DTD and front of parks area from the garage and lots.

I have no issues with Disney’s plan for either coast. They are certainly going above and beyond what the state would require for FL (see LEGOLAND). It’s the timing of the execution of the plan. The reason why the plan was to open in July and not April was to open in a time when the case load was at an acceptable level. So to me the question is still outstanding for Disney. The answer may be that they don’t feel the current situation is bad enough to delay. That’s their call to make.
Didn’t California just close bars too? I didn’t know they allowed drinking in the state, period. Must be required to slap this label on it when it is allowed. :)

F47A65A7-9F54-4B3D-8B83-2858E6360881.jpeg

mickeymiss

It's unfortunate that business that were being responsible have been shut down but unfortunately there are not enough inspectors to verify compliance and if you are responding to complaints of non-compliance you are already too late.

I've been to Disney Springs 3 times since they reopened and they are doing a good job with rule enforcement.

However the biggest issue with Disney is not that they will be lax. It's that with thousands or tens of thousands of visitors a day there WILL be spread of Covid at the parks. And if it's bad enough Disney World will be in the news in the worst way. It could damage Disney World (and Orlando) for years.

That is what Disney leaders are concerned about.

Could you please share with us how you know there WILL be spread of covid around the parks? I don’t doubt that someone might end up at the parks who coincidentally had asymptomatic covid but that is true anywhere. It doesn’t mean it will spread. Hunches aren’t scientific and I’d argue that we have zero evidence of spread at theme parks. There’s a reason why experts emphasize close contact because that continues to be the most likely route of transmission. Even this spike bears that out. It’s not what we want to see but it’s almost certainly people doing high risk things. You wouldn’t be considered close contact, for example, if you went to Walmart on the same day as an infected employee. Even if they could trace that you were there, you’re not a contact. You’d never be included in any trace investigation for momentary exposure to someone especially a stranger. That has been the guidance all along. 15 minutes or more face to face. Since everything we do is fairly momentary at Disney, nobody is at high risk and a mask secures that risk is further minimized whenever you are in lines or indoors.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
the breaking point would likely be other open theme parks contributing significantly to spread. As far as I’m aware, nothing has shown this. If you see the roll-back recently in the state, they have been strategic about what they see as the main contributors to their recent issues. It hasn’t been places like universal. Unless that changes (or they make a decision based on PR rather than safety), they move forward.
That’s a valid opinion to have but it doesn’t matter what you or I think it matters what Disney management thinks. They have some internal metric they will use and it may be what you suggested or it may be something different. I can tell you for sure that some level of PR factors in as well. They do have to worry about the reputation of the company. If they open now with questions over case spikes and there is a mass infection of guests or CMs traced back to WDW there can be damage done to their business longer term. We all know the sensationalized headlines that will come of it and pointing at a plan (one I agree is pretty solid) isn’t goin to get them off the hook. It could hurt future bookings for months out. They can’t just not open, I’m not saying that, but opening in the middle of a major spike is higher risk than waiting for cases to decline. Someone at the highest levels of TWDC is weighing that risk vs the cost of delaying right now. It will be interesting to see what happens.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That’s a valid opinion to have but it doesn’t matter what you or I think it matters what Disney management thinks. They have some internal metric they will use and it may be what you suggested or it may be something different. I can tell you for sure that some level of PR factors in as well. They do have to worry about the reputation of the company. If they open now with questions over case spikes and there is a mass infection of guests or CMs traced back to WDW there can be damage done to their business longer term. We all know the sensationalized headlines that will come of it and pointing at a plan (one I agree is pretty solid) isn’t goin to get them off the hook. It could hurt future bookings for months out. They can’t just not open, I’m not saying that, but opening in the middle of a major spike is higher risk than waiting for cases to decline. Someone at the highest levels of TWDC is weighing that risk vs the cost of delaying right now. It will be interesting to see what happens.
yep. A lot can happen in 2 weeks.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Didn’t California just close bars too? I didn’t know they allowed drinking in the state, period. Must be required to slap this label on it when it is allowed. :)

View attachment 480332
They closed bars in 7 counties where cases are spiking...

Cute misdirection.

Texas closed all bars...cause they are not a necessity and it “ain’t good” to have covid spread out of bars.

Some states are doing the “great Oz” thing...

All mandated in article one of the constitution...says everyone who has never read it/has zero understanding of it.

Disney Analyst

LOOK WE ALL GET IT. You think it's not as bad as everyone is saying and that we shouldn't be putting in restrictions again. Cases rising is a bad thing and the places where is happening should definitely slow down opening things and that includes delaying or closing theme parks. I seen how Canada as whole has done. Our numbers have dropped and have flattened. The province where I live we have under 200 new cases a day for almost 3 weeks now. Its really sad to see so many on here justifying high case numbers.

You can reopen the economy without places that require mass gatherings. Theme parks, sporting events, concerts and festivals aren't needed right now. IMO all restaurants and bars should only be patios right now.

Under 200?? Here in BC we’ve been in the very low double digits, into single digits for a while at the daily updates. I think last update was 20 new cases in a day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom