Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I don't know much about Disney unions, but my DH is in an airline union and it's pretty much impossible to strike.
Florida is “right to work”

Which in a cute political wordplay means you can’t have a mandatory union...which means they have no ability to maintain a work stoppage.

That’s what it means in nuts and bolts.

MuteSuperstar

I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm not a fan of your gut feeling. Might be a little biased due to me arriving for my first ever trip to the Florida parks on the 11th...

Hey I totally get it and I hope circumstances improve and you get to go. Back when I used to go a lot there was absolutely nothing on earth that was more important to me...that stance waned even before covid, but that's another story.
If things keep trending the way they are, I also think the NBA bubble thing is gonna fall apart.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm not a fan of your gut feeling. Might be a little biased due to me arriving for my first ever trip to the Florida parks on the 11th...
Oh dear...

This may be disappointing to you: but I hope they don’t open and you get compensated.

This isn’t the environment you want. It will be 96 degrees and that’s not gonna be comfy.

Maybe low crowds I guess...hope for the best for you.

disneygeek90

Breakrooms, mostly. Maybe the average guest is safe from the average employee and vice versa. But not nearly enough care was given to backstage areas and break spaces. Quite a few attractions have out breaks from shared break spaces. It’s the main reason CMs want Disney to reconsider. Everything you’ve heard about how guests will kept safe is all well and good. The concern is keeping the CMs from infecting each other.
Are breaks not being staggered? If there is an issue with break spaces that should be addressed.

Miss Bella

Florida is “right to work”

Which in a cute political wordplay means you can’t have a mandatory union...which means they have no ability to maintain a work stoppage.

That’s what it means in nuts and bolts.
I'm going to assume they won't get paid or receive unemployment if they strike. I've never been out of work. I can imagine it's not a good feeling and is incredibly stressful.

I find it laughable to assume that CM's don't want to go back to work and get paid. Unfortunately, most Americans can't survive more than a month without a paycheck. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Disney employees are not millionaires.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Hey I totally get it and I hope circumstances improve and you get to go. Back when I used to go a lot there was absolutely nothing on earth that was more important to me...that stance waned even before covid, but that's another story.
If things keep trending the way they are, I also think the NBA bubble thing is gonna fall apart.
Nba ain’t happening...

All the leagues are gonna fall by July barring a miracle at this point.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I'm going to assume they won't get paid or receive unemployment if they strike. I've never been out of work. I can imagine it's not a good feeling and is incredibly stressful.

I find it laughable to assume that CM's don't want to go back to work and get paid. Unfortunately, most Americans can't survive more than a month without a paycheck. I'm going to go out on a limb and say that Disney employees are not millionaires.
There are a couple of huge things about to crash together in Orlando.

The federal extension stipend...which is a huge thing for wdw workers...is about to expire and politically I don’t know if that can continue. Doesn’t look good.

Wdw employees aren't paid Well enough to suffer loss of pay...it will get messy regardless soon.

Orlando is all service...they are paid little to serve those that spend big. But they don’t get a slice of it...really.
Is it worth health concerns?

We’ve never seen this before.

Oh and a recession. That’s fun too.

milordsloth

Oh dear...

This may be disappointing to you: but I hope they don’t open and you get compensated.

This isn’t the environment you want. It will be 96 degrees and that’s not gonna be comfy.

Maybe low crowds I guess...hope for the best for you.

Wait wait wait, I forgot Florida summers might get hot. Shut it down!
(Jk I appreciate the response and your opinion)

Jwink

So I’m not sure what has been said today but I’m sure you all saw where the California union wrote up a document about delaying the opening? Well my husband asked his union president if that was on the table for Florida and he said no they will not advocate for a delay. It’s exhausting to feel like nobody cares. So the people above he said they will strike… It doesn’t seem likely

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom