Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss Bella

There was a time when there were no rooms were available at CSR until August 10. There was speculation that was going to be the NBA hotel. I think some availability returned, but I haven't checked lately.

Baloo62

This is true with the woman in my family. The ONLY time that any of us have become sick with the flu was within a day or two of getting the flu shot. My grandma, my mom, my sister, etc are all affected this way. The doctor confirmed that with some people it happens like that. When my sister worked at a hospital and they forced her to get the flu shot, she got sick every year. Since she has left that job and does not get the shot, she has not had the flu since, and it has been years.
My experience is the same. I have not had the flu in over 27 years of marriage and I have never once had a flu shot. My wife gets an annual flu shot without fail, yet somehow comes down with the flu every single year. I believe in police work they call that a clue. I'm not against vaccines by any means...just the ones that I perceive to be a money-making scam. Again, TWENTY SEVEN years of irrefutable personal experience.

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
There was a time when there were no rooms were available at CSR until August 10. There was speculation that was going to be the NBA hotel. I think some availability returned, but I haven't checked lately.
That’s still the most likely site if they stay at a Disney hotel. I think it’s still up in the air on location so Disney is hedging their bets by taking reservations anyway. If it falls through the resort opens to guests. If the deal is on they contact those reservations to change to another moderate and maybe throw in a gift card or some fast passes. No big deal really.

My gut feeling is the NBA may end up playing the games at WDW sports complex but stay off property. The NBA would have great leverage over an off property hotel or hotels and there’s no hoops to jump through.

natatomic

From what I’ve gathered, and I could be wrong, it doesn’t seem like outdoor transmission of the coronavirus is very common. Given the concerns about the safety of wearing masks in Florida weather as well as the uphill battle of enforcing such a rule, I’m surprised Disney doesn’t try to kind of meet everyone halfway. Why not make masks mandatory while in any indoor building, aside from when eating at a restaurant, but make their usage outdoors voluntary and really stress social distancing outdoors. I think it would be far easier to enforce and there would be far less pushback. But that’s just my layman’s opinion. 🤷🏻‍♀️

Last edited:

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not trying to advocate anyone getting a flu shot or not. I don’t really care one way or the other.

Just a piece of science here. The only way to get the actual flu from getting a flu shot is if the person giving you the shot has it and infects you. That’s a fact not an opinion. They inject you with a dead virus. It cannot give you the flu. A number of years back they did have a live flu vaccine that was nasal inhaled but that doesn‘t exist anymore. With the flu shot a very common side effect is soreness in the spot of injection (usually your upper arm). The other less common side effects are fever, headache and body aches that can last a few days. This is not the actual flu it’s just your body‘s immune system ramping up to build the antibodies. It’s also a lot more mild than the actual flu and shorter term and you aren’t contagious. A lot of times when people get a flu shot and feel this way after they think they got the flu. It’s a common misconception.

Some years the flu shot is only about 60% effective some years more. That’s because they guess at which strain of flu will be most prevalent and vaccinate you for them. If they guess wrong you could still get another strain that wasn’t in the vaccine that year. So it is still possible to get the flu if you got the vaccine. Some years close to a coin flip. Again, not trying to say people should or shouldn’t get it, just throwing out some facts for anyone considering it one way or the other.

ImperfectPixie

From what I’ve gathered, and I could be wrong, doesn’t seem like outdoor transmission of the coronavirus is very common. Given the concerns about the safety of wearing masks in Florida weather as well as the uphill battle of enforcing such a rule, I’m surprised Disney doesn’t try to kind of meet everyone halfway. Why not make masks mandatory while in any indoor building, aside from when eating at a restaurant, but make their usage outdoors voluntary and really stress social distancing outdoors. I think it would be far easier to enforce and there would be far less pushback. But that’s just my layman’s opinion. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I tend to agree with you...but humans are stupid and that's too complicated for many.

Tom P.

That’s why you have to watch the video and read up on the app. There is no GPS or locational tracking used, there is no central database, there’s nothing collected and nothing to sell. Google and Apple have no real involvement outside of pushing the app out to their operating system.

I have no interest in trying to change people’s opinion. I get some people are against this no matter what and it doesn’t matter how it works. I get that in our polarized often too political world for some issues and some people everything is black and white and lots of people are either against something or in favor of it no matter what. Don’t take this as me arguing that you should change your mind. If someone has actual interest in using this type of app but is concerned about privacy I would suggest looking into it instead of outright dismissing it. I think if most people looked into it and understood how it worked they would realize there’s no real privacy issue.
I think you're missing the point here. Everything you say is true if you accept that what the makers of this software are saying is true. Many people are at least considering the possibility that all this published information you keep referring to is false.

That may seem conspiratorial, but time and again major technology companies have been caught flat-out lying about what their technologies do. Companies have been caught collecting and selling personal data for their own profit when they said they didn't. Companies have been caught building in ways for the government to access your data without your knowledge.

These are not isolated incidents. They have happened over and over again. And this is not tinfoil hat conspiracy garbage. It has been proven and/or admitted to over and over again.

I'm not saying any of that is happening in this case. But I think at this point, people at least have a reasonable basis for wondering if what they are being told from a tech company is true or not.

DisneyDebRob

My experience is the same. I have not had the flu in over 27 years of marriage and I have never once had a flu shot. My wife gets an annual flu shot without fail, yet somehow comes down with the flu every single year. I believe in police work they call that a clue. I'm not against vaccines by any means...just the ones that I perceive to be a money-making scam. Again, TWENTY SEVEN years of irrefutable personal experience.
My experience, along with wife’s is we both had flu shots at least the last 20 years and we have never gotten the flu either so it works both ways I guess. I always side with science and something that puts more of the odds in my favor.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I think you're missing the point here. Everything you say is true if you accept that what the makers of this software are saying is true. Many people are at least considering the possibility that all this published information you keep referring to is false.

That may seem conspiratorial, but time and again major technology companies have been caught flat-out lying about what their technologies do. Companies have been caught collecting and selling personal data for their own profit when they said they didn't. Companies have been caught building in ways for the government to access your data without your knowledge.

These are not isolated incidents. They have happened over and over again. And this is not tinfoil hat conspiracy garbage. It has been proven and/or admitted to over and over again.

I'm not saying any of that is happening in this case. But I think at this point, people at least have a reasonable basis for wondering if what they are being told from a tech company is true or not.
In that case you can’t use any app or even a smart phone at all. A valid choice.

The point is the app isn’t using GPS or tracking technology at all. It’s not looking at your location at all. It uses Bluetooth on your phone only and stores information on your phone only. You have a unique identifying number assigned to you (for example 12345) and if I come within 6 feet of you and our Bluetooth connects my phone will record just your ID number and time/date. Not location or duration of contact. The list of numbers is stored for a finite amount of time, say 2 weeks. If at any time during those 2 weeks you test positive for Covid your public health department would use their system to send out a notification that user 12345 is positive and my device would then notify me that I came in contact with an infected person and give me instructions on how to get tested. It doesn’t tell me when or where or for how long I came in contact with you or who you are. I get tested and then if positive the process continues. There’s no link back to Apple or Google and no useful data even if there was. The health department has to initiate the process.

There are tons of apps people use all the time that actually use locational tracking (including Disney parks). Again, not saying people should or shouldn’t use the app. Just trying to put out some info on how it actually works. I know minds are set and most people won’t change. More for informational purposes or anyone on the fence.

Peter Pan's Shadow

There’s is another thread focused solely on WDW reopening dates.
That one is more focused specifically on WDW and when/how it will reopen.
Thx bro. I'm on there too. Lol.

Disney Analyst

Don’t know anything about this park, never been there but it opened today. Margaritaville H20 I think? No masks needed and this is the crowd waiting to open. Wow.

View attachment 471992

Apparently unless amusement seekers are handheld by these companies with lines on the ground no one can figure out what 6 feet means.

Enjoy the parks while they are still open folks.

lazyboy97o

That’s why you have to watch the video and read up on the app. There is no GPS or locational tracking used, there is no central database, there’s nothing collected and nothing to sell. Google and Apple have no real involvement outside of pushing the app out to their operating system.
To clarify, there is no single app. There is a framework within the OS that public health agencies can utilize for their own apps.

This position is still built on conflating a lot of different companies including in different areas of technology. Neither Android nor iOS have backdoors, an issue that was again recently in the news with the federal government complaining that Apple protects terrorists. Even with this system there are European governments that have complained about not having a central database or location tracking. There are other means for the type of data being sent out by a phone to be verified. When most of the concerns are built on a faulty premise, location tracking, then the questioning is not reasonable.

Patcheslee

Apparently unless amusement seekers are handheld by these companies with lines on the ground no one can figure out what 6 feet means.

Enjoy the parks while they are still open folks.

I've been at stores that don't have markers, and even standing what I guesstimate 6ft to be (if I can fall on my face and hit you on the way down I'm too close 🤣 ) Other people have gotten close enough behind to touching my backpack. I try to move a bit closer, they just move up too.
And markers don't always work either :rolleyes:

Miss Bella

This I can speak to based on my own experiences. The first testing facility set up in Staten Island, NY (one of the boroughs in NYC) was a drive up one. It did require an appointment. The first few days seemed to go OK however after that there was a huge drop off on the numbers of people showing up as per our local newspaper that does a live stream video a few times a day. They were standing across the street from the testing facility. It was found out later that the appointment area wasnt doing their job correctly. Once that was worked out, this opened back up to do a lot of testing. Fast forward to recently. There are a ton of testing sites both for the virus and antibody testing. I was able to log on and get an antibody test the following day with my choice of times free through NYC (I came back negative for exposure) and I dont know anyone who wanted a test and hadnt been able to get one. Here is the website from our borough President James Oddo listing all of the testing sites that are open and seeing people. https://www.statenislandusa.com/covidtesting.html The testing itself is free however if you go to one of the urgent care centers if you are given a check up or other medical care, that may be charged either to you or your health insurance ( That happened to a friend) so be sure to ask that of the individual locations and check with your health insurance!!! Marie
We closed our drive through testing after 4 days because only 12 people showed up to be tested. This was back around the last week of March.

Some of my friends have gotten tested. It was easy make an appointment on the app, drive through, get the results the next day on the app.

Some countries are starting to open their
borders they will require testing on arrival at the airport or a negative test within 4 days.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom