Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyDebRob

Guess that conversation is over.

brianstl

That's not how viruses work. You don't just put yourself at risk when going to Disney World. Maybe you catch it. Maybe it's not so bad so you don't get tested. You go home and spread the virus to your family and friends. You go back to work and spread it to coworkers and customers. You go to the store and spread it to strangers. Then all those other people do the same thing. That's how the virus works and it's how the number of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths rises exponentially. It's how a second wave will start because nothing has changed since March but everyone thinks it had and is starting to let down their guard.
If you are going to spread it to family that doesn't live with you, friends, coworkers, customers and strangers; you and none of those people are following the guidelines in place.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
That's not how viruses work. You don't just put yourself at risk when going to Disney World. Maybe you catch it. Maybe it's not so bad so you don't get tested. You go home and spread the virus to your family and friends. You go back to work and spread it to coworkers and customers. You go to the store and spread it to strangers. Then all those other people do the same thing. That's how the virus works and it's how the number of cases, hospitalizations, and deaths rises exponentially. It's how a second wave will start because nothing has changed since March but everyone thinks it had and is starting to let down their guard.

What exactly do you want? Do you want WDW to work with the state to plan reopening with approved safety measures in place that meet the state requirements...which would then allow guests to go? Or do you want WDW to stay closed indefinitely?

Chip Chipperson

Those awful kids. I forget, can you link me the study that shows spring break had a meaningful impact on community spread of Covid-19? Or even like, not a study, but any evidence, even tenuous.

Rider

What exactly do you want? Do you want WDW to work with the state to plan reopening with approved safety measures in place that meet the state requirements...which would then allow guests to go? Or do you want WDW to stay closed indefinitely?

Disney World should probably stay closed until there are much better testing rates nationwide, contact tracing, and maybe proven treatments. More so than offices, stores or restaurants it's a huge liability to public health.

We've jumpped the gun trying to reopen everything before we are ready. And the price will be paid for it.

Epcotbob

For the millionth time, it's not about you. It's about who you infect with your cavalier actions. The self-centeredness of people is more clearly discernible than ever before. Their "right" to ride an amusement ride is more important than the people they get sick or kill.

The same could be said about the cavalier attitude towards shutting everything down, destroying the economy and robbing millions of people of their livelihood and ability to house and feed their families because by-golly it's my right to not get sick because maybe, possibly, thru some umpteenth removed interaction, it might get passed on to me.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Disney World should probably stay closed until there are much better testing rates nationwide, contact tracing, and maybe proven treatments. More so than offices, stores or restaurants it's a huge liability to public health.

We've jumpped the gun trying to reopen everything before we are ready. And the price will be paid for it.

Got it. I’m glad we are not going your suggested route. But your entitled to your opinion so I’m not going to ridicule you for it.

brianstl

And of course the recent study that just one week more of social distancing (including spring break in that time frame) would have saved 36,000 lives: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/stu...s-restrictions-us-saved-36k/story?id=70808611
I don't seem to remember many people calling for those kind of policies a week before that. I seem to remember those of us that were doing that then were in the extreme minority and told by most we were crazy. There was, also, the Disney will never shutdown stuff everywhere at that time. The point is that it is really easy to say something like that study does now, but public opinion and other political realities then made taking that kind of action impossible at that time.

Rider

I don't seem to remember many people calling for those kind of policies a week before that. I seem to remember those of us that were doing that then were in the extreme minority and told by most we were crazy. There was, also, the Disney will never shutdown stuff everywhere at that time. The point is that it is really easy to say something like that study does now, but public opinion and other political realities then made taking that kind of action impossible at that time.
Certainly things happened as they happened because of how things were.

The study doesn't attempt to get into any of that. It just looks at the spread rate and shows how just a little faster action could have made a huge impact. It's fun how exponential growth works.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

hindsight.

wannabeBelle

I live in one of the hardest hit areas in the country and even possibly in the world, NYC. I have not gotten the virus and am pretty confident going out to resume work and certain leisure activities. Disney isnt in my plans for a few months, just by coincidence but I think anyone who does go in the next few months has to evaluate the risk for themselves. I dont think I'd be comfortable wearing a mask all day at Disney but if I wanted to go whenever they do open, if this is a requirement, either I would have to comply or move my trip to a later date. I would be comfortable going with regards to my health and especially given all of the safeguards in place. I dont think I'd feel any less safe than I would on the subway systems in NYC!!! Marie

RaveOnEd

I live in one of the hardest hit areas in the country and even possibly in the world, NYC. I have not gotten the virus and am pretty confident going out to resume work and certain leisure activities. Disney isnt in my plans for a few months, just by coincidence but I think anyone who does go in the next few months has to evaluate the risk for themselves. I dont think I'd be comfortable wearing a mask all day at Disney but if I wanted to go whenever they do open, if this is a requirement, either I would have to comply or move my trip to a later date. I would be comfortable going with regards to my health and especially given all of the safeguards in place. I dont think I'd feel any less safe than I would on the subway systems in NYC!!! Marie
I have a few friends up there as well, and all of you are in my thoughts - stay safe up there! Just be careful, you'll be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom