Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeCamel

I have considered it. I received an e-mail from NIH to participate in their group study on covid 19 antibodies and filled out their questionnaire. Once I hear back I’ll get one done either through them or go on my own to Quest. I want to be sure to get an accurate test. One article I read a man took four tests for research purposes. Two came back negative and two came back positive. I did hear Quest was pretty accurate though.
I did to, hope they ramp up the study soon.

Lilofan

Did you read the article? No amount of hand washing is going to clean the flushing toilet poop explosions from adjacent stalls off of the rest of your body. There are articles out there about how you should avoid hand dryers for the same reason — they end up spraying fecal matter all over your hands.

Yes and I'm still going to wash my hands with soap and water before exiting the restroom. Others that I see especially at the theme parks don't even do that.

Miss Bella

That's an interesting article. They are certainly right - there is no way I want to touch a toilet lid in a public restroom. but automatically opening/closing ones sounds good. Touchless toilets/faucets/sinks seem to pretty much be the norm these days. Now, if only we could get doors that don't have 1"-wide gaps like our European friends do...
I’ve never found the bathrooms in Europe to be particularly clean.

Don’t you was your hands afterwards anyway.

Reactions: fbb

Amused to Death

Yes and I'm still going to wash my hands with soap and water before exiting the restroom. Others that I see especially at the theme parks don't even do that.
For sure. I wash my hands, too. And, you’re right, a heck of a lot of others don’t bother. I won’t use the hand dryers, though. I go for the paper towel. And if there’s no paper tower, I’ll just exit with semi-wet hands.

Lilofan

I’ve never found the bathrooms in Europe to be particularly clean.

Don’t you was your hands afterwards anyway.
We are lucky in the USA to utilize free public restrooms. In parts of London and Paris, you need to pay to use some public restrooms. Better have some money on you.

natatomic

We are lucky in the USA to utilize free public restrooms. In parts of London and Paris, you need to pay to use some public restrooms. Better have some money on you.

I’ve never understood how that was a legal practice anywhere. I mean, what if it’s an emergency and you ran out of money? Do you just ***t yourself?

Imagineer45

This may have already been posted here, but this thread moves too fast to keep up with.

Silverwood in Northern Idaho is opening on May 30th. I'll link the details below, but the highlights include no mandatory mask (although complimentary ones available), reducing the number of day tickets but allowing all season pass holders, sanitizing ride vehicles between cycles, limiting queue capacity with spacing measurements, and going almost entirely cashless.

joup7

Regarding the rumor of AP’s having to possible pay a discounted cost to enter while the reservation system is new.

I’m in Tampa. I’m willing to drive the hour plus to go to Disney, wear a mask all day, and be missing out on parades, shows, and such. But I’m an AP and I’m paid for the year. Others have said it, AP’s won’t mind things being closed as much as people going 1 time because they know they will get better experiences the next time.

If I’m going to have to pay, even a discounted cost, then there is a quality I’m expecting. I’m going to be disappointed and feel I’m not getting my money’s worth if I have to wait longer than normal for rides, for food, can’t park hop, or have specific times I can go. Unless the discounted cost is like $20 (we all know that’s not happening), I’m not buying extra tickets to go to Disney and get what will be a significantly substandard experience.

I would support a system that allows hotel guests to reserve park dates sooner than AP guests and limit the amount of dates an AP can have reserved at a given time, much as FP does not. Hotel guests can book FP 60 days out and for their entire trip. AP can book 30 days out and limit to 7 days of FP at a time. Obviously those numbers would change. If this freezes out most AP at the start that’s fine. I would hate for somebody to book a hotel stay and not be allowed in the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Regarding the rumor of AP’s having to possible pay a discounted cost to enter while the reservation system is new.

I’m in Tampa. I’m willing to drive the hour plus to go to Disney, wear a mask all day, and be missing out on parades, shows, and such. But I’m an AP and I’m paid for the year. Others have said it, AP’s won’t mind things being closed as much as people going 1 time because they know they will get better experiences the next time.

If I’m going to have to pay, even a discounted cost, then there is a quality I’m expecting. I’m going to be disappointed and feel I’m not getting my money’s worth if I have to wait longer than normal for rides, for food, can’t park hop, or have specific times I can go. Unless the discounted cost is like $20 (we all know that’s not happening), I’m not buying extra tickets to go to Disney and get what will be a significantly substandard experience.

I would support a system that allows hotel guests to reserve park dates sooner than AP guests and limit the amount of dates an AP can have reserved at a given time, much as FP does not. Hotel guests can book FP 60 days out and for their entire trip. AP can book 30 days out and limit to 7 days of FP at a time. Obviously those numbers would change. If this freezes out most AP at the start that’s fine. I would hate for somebody to book a hotel stay and not be allowed in the parks.
Don’t quote me on it because it was a year ago, but when Disney blacked out DLR AP holders from June to Sept right when SW:GE opened I think what they offered was a deal where you could buy a 1 day ticket for $99 (normal price $149) and you could bring a friend and get the same discount for them too. It wasn’t real popular. I don’t see many AP holders paying extra just to get in right at the start. Some of the lifestyler type people may, but the average local AP holder will probably just wait.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It is not so much an issue of cost but ease of cleaning. There are less corners to clean and it is easier to move a mop with raised partitions.
My company was moving into a new office building that was being constructed as we specified. One of the senior executives attended a conference at a high end golf resort in Scottsdale and was impressed with the public bathrooms because they had floor to ceiling doors and walls for the stalls. They pressured the builder to change the bathroom design for the office building to mirror that. After construction was complete they had the final fire inspection and the bathroom stalls failed. Apparently they did not need individual sprinklers in each stall when using traditional stalls but with the floor to ceiling walls and doors the water from the sprinklers could no longer spray over the tops. They had to remove part of the stalls and rip out a section of ceiling to run the pipes for new sprinklers. Set the whole project back a few weeks.

Now that the building is open it is nice to have more privacy but my irrational fear is I will pass out in the stall and nobody will find me since you can’t see under the stalls anymore ;)

DisneyDebRob

Don’t quote me on it because it was a year ago, but when Disney blacked out DLR AP holders from June to Sept right when SW:GE opened I think what they offered was a deal where you could buy a 1 day ticket for $99 (normal price $149) and you could bring a friend and get the same discount for them too. It wasn’t real popular. I don’t see many AP holders paying extra just to get in right at the start. Some of the lifestyler type people may, but the average local AP holder will probably just wait.
Agreed. Especially at a 99 dollar price tag. For what these people will be receiving early on if most of what’s been discussed happens,it should be around that $50 dollar mark. I know they can’t go that low for many reasons but they should.

Last edited:

Kevin_W

I have considered it. I received an e-mail from NIH to participate in their group study on covid 19 antibodies and filled out their questionnaire. Once I hear back I’ll get one done either through them or go on my own to Quest. I want to be sure to get an accurate test. One article I read a man took four tests for research purposes. Two came back negative and two came back positive. I did hear Quest was pretty accurate though.

Right, before spending good money on it I did some research. Quest is using 2 different tests (here are the specifics: https://ir.questdiagnostics.com/pre...erform-COVID-19-Antibody-Testing/default.aspx)

"Abbott reports a 99.4% specificity for its antibody test, and EUROIMMUN AG is reporting a 98.5% to 99% specificity." and supposedly most of their test are the Aboot one (which showed 99.9% specificity in another study). Since you can't really do anything (individually) with the data and it's just for curiosity (and being part of a bigger data pool) thsoe were good enough numbers for me.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
This is a rumor, I repeat a rumor. Seems they have a lot of details though. It’s a way to control things, I can see that but the amount of grief they will receive would be unreal.

After perusing that site, my findings:
1. The site does not claim to have any insider info. Which then brings up the question: So, if they're reporting on rumors... where are they getting their rumors from?​
2. Looking at their articles labeled 'rumors,' there's not a lot of them and the ones that exist are only about only 50-60% correct. The info they put out is information which has been circling the blogosphere and repeating other people's articles, e.g., the perennial rumor of an Apple buyout of Disney from "analysts."​
3. The rumor of the quoted article above is just all surmisings based on what Shanghai and other theme parks are doing, and what Disney execs have thrown out as possibilities.​

In conclusion, its safe to ignore that web site if one is looking for insider info and not just the rumors and guesses of the Disney echo chamber, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom