Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I promise you that if they reopen with a mask requirement, I will be on the phone within the hour demanding my AP be canceled and all further payments refused.
They could always change their mind but the CEO did say masks will be required when the parks open for both guests and CMs in the interview with CNBC.

ImperfectPixie

Yes and much like with all disabilities, those that fake it will be making it much harder than it needs to be on those who legitimately have these issues (and they do exist).
Due to his heart issues, my husband isn't supposed to wear any kind of face covering. He does anyways though...he'd rather take a break more often than reduce his safety with regards to the virus.

cmwade77

The only thing we still don’t know for sure is how much will be open in each park. In theory if everything is open and there’s a severely limited crowd it’s like a park fanboy dream where everything is a walk on. If they take a significant amount of ride capacity off line then there may still be long waits for some attractions. In a park like MK it probably won‘t be as big of an issue but if you look at DHS and they shut down all of the theater based attractions which are huge people eaters (Fantasmic, Indy stunt show, muppets, Beauty and the Beast, Disney Jr, Little Mermaid, Frozen sing along) plus the meet and greets like SW Launch Bay that’s a lot of capacity gone. Everyone in the park will be spread between 9 rides: RnRC, ToT, Star Tours, MMRR, 2 SW rides and 3 Toy Story. Better than it was pre-construction but still could feel more crowded due to restrictions.
Based on Shanghai, it seems the shows not running are more due to live performers not being able to social distance back stage than having an Audience.

Now 3D shows could still take place, but with castmembers handing out the 3D glasses in a way that guests never touch the CMs' gloves.

So. Muppets could still take place with reduced capacity.

Frozen Sing Along could also still work, as there are very few performers, so backstage social distancing would not be an issue and the theater is huge, so reduced capacity not an issue.

Similarly, the Indy Stunt show could also still take place for similar reasons and that it is an outdoor theater.

Given the numbers, Beauty and the Beast would be harder.

Fantasmic has many modifications that can be made, including reducing the number of live performers, so while unlikely (from a cost perspective), it could be done.

We already know they have said Little Mermaid will not be reopening for other reasons, so that was out regardless, sadly.

Disney Jr would be problematic on many levels.

Launch Bay at Hollywood Studios also wouldn't really work

Baloo62

Chapek said in the video that guest cooperation will dictate whether or not they stay open. It was clear from his tone that he didn’t expect Florida guests to behave either.
If staying open hinges upon courteous, empathetic, rule-abiding guests, they won't make it 48 hours before shutting it back down.

cmwade77

Due to his heart issues, my husband isn't supposed to wear any kind of face covering. He does anyways though...he'd rather take a break more often than reduce his safety with regards to the virus.
Well, honestly, wearing a mask doesn't do anything to protect him from the virus, it is about protecting others if you are asymptomatic. But I can certainly understand trying to do what you can when you have an underlying condition like that. Not all issues would be considered underlying conditions that would warrant needing the extra safety, which is where things can get complicated in the U.S.

Polynesia

If staying open hinges upon courteous, empathetic, rule-abiding guests, they won't make it 48 hours before shutting it back down.
Maybe they can remove those guests instead of punishing everyone. Guests need to realize either follow the rules or don’t come. I know it won’t be easy. But they have to try. You can’t let the minority sway all your decisions.

cmwade77

I doubt it will, all they need to do is have security and possible local police patrolling and have them be empowered to remove anyone who intentionally refuses to follow the rules without refund, maybe even revoke the remainder of their ticket without refund depending on severity. Of course if someone accidentally isn't following the rules and security reminds them and they comply, that is one thing, but to if they keep refusing, remove them, forcibly if necessary. A few times of that happening and making it clear there will be no refunds as a result, word will get around and people will comply.

cmwade77

Maybe they can remove those guests instead of punishing everyone. Guests need to realize either follow the rules or don’t come. I know it won’t be easy. But they have to try. You can’t let the minority sway all your decisions.
Looks like we posted the same sentiment at the same time. I wish they would do this with people who try to smoke in the parks.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Based on Shanghai, it seems the shows not running are more due to live performers not being able to social distance back stage than having an Audience.

Now 3D shows could still take place, but with castmembers handing out the 3D glasses in a way that guests never touch the CMs' gloves.

So. Muppets could still take place with reduced capacity.

Frozen Sing Along could also still work, as there are very few performers, so backstage social distancing would not be an issue and the theater is huge, so reduced capacity not an issue.

Similarly, the Indy Stunt show could also still take place for similar reasons and that it is an outdoor theater.

Given the numbers, Beauty and the Beast would be harder.

Fantasmic has many modifications that can be made, including reducing the number of live performers, so while unlikely (from a cost perspective), it could be done.

We already know they have said Little Mermaid will not be reopening for other reasons, so that was out regardless, sadly.

Disney Jr would be problematic on many levels.

Launch Bay at Hollywood Studios also wouldn't really work
I don’t see any arena/stadium type attractions re-opening. Just like pro sports you can’t control a crowd that large. When the show ends there’s no keeping people apart as they scramble to leave. The smaller theaters like Muppets or Philharmagic would be possible with every other row closed and instructions enforced to leave 2 or 3 seats between family groups. Due to the one way in, one way out nature of those shows the only bottle neck is exiting and returning glasses. It’s possible but with about 1/3 capacity.

ImperfectPixie

Well, honestly, wearing a mask doesn't do anything to protect him from the virus, it is about protecting others if you are asymptomatic. But I can certainly understand trying to do what you can when you have an underlying condition like that. Not all issues would be considered underlying conditions that would warrant needing the extra safety, which is where things can get complicated in the U.S.
Honestly, after hearing him describe some of the houses/apartments he has to work in (he does commercial and residential flooring installation), I'd probably be wearing a mask most places anyway. Some of the stories he tells me...they could be settings for horror movies.

cmwade77

anyone know if passholders can get out of their monthly payment contract? Just cant see us using the passes the rest of the year with all this...between new restrictions , masks, virtual queue's only (if they go that route) and other cuts etc, I dont think we will go back till next year. I cant see us paying full monthly payments for something thats not going to be worth it once they start up again. has anyone else tried? just wondering how it went.
For monthly payments, they are not taking any payments right now, but the expiration date of your pass will not be extended and you will only be paying until the end of your current contract. Assuming Shanghai's model is followed, I am guessing that the monthly payments won't resume until after the parks are no longer by reservation only, but will still be able to be used during the reservation only period as long as they aren't expired. But you do have the option to call Disney and tell them you want to extend your monthly payments, which will also extend the expiration date. Again, I assume this will be based on the length of closure from when the parks closed until after the reservation only period ends.

So, you have options and you won't really be paying for the time that there are the major cuts if they follow Shanghai's model.

cmwade77

I don’t see any arena/stadium type attractions re-opening. Just like pro sports you can’t control a crowd that large. When the show ends there’s no keeping people apart as they scramble to leave. The smaller theaters like Muppets or Philharmagic would be possible with every other row closed and instructions enforced to leave 2 or 3 seats between family groups. Due to the one way in, one way out nature of those shows the only bottle neck is exiting and returning glasses. It’s possible but with about 1/3 capacity.
Agreed, it would have to be lower capacity in all cases, but Fantasmic actually has several ways out that are normally not used, but could be used to reduce bottle necks. But again at about 1/3 capacity, so I just don't see it being cost effective to run, as even if there were no performers it is an expensive show.

cmwade77

I haven’t experienced that here. I only see about 30% of the people wearing masks.
Some areas around us, every business insists, even to the point of calling cops on those that have medical conditions that can't wear them. Those businesses were shocked when the cops told them if they did that a second time they would be fined.

And then other areas basically say it is up to you and what you feel comfortable with and even a few rare ones asking people to not wear masks for various reasons.

Baloo62

Oh how I wish that could be. But, yes, it will be extremely difficult here in the US. The number of "We're paying $______ to stay here - you can't tell me what to wear/where to stand/how to act" confrontations will be astronomical. The parks in Asia are a different animal; those cultures are very dignified, disciplined, and reserved. Here in America they will have to throw out rude, entitled fools by the bus load.

Polynesia

Oh how I wish that could be. But, yes, it will be extremely difficult here in the US. The number of "We're paying $______ to stay here - you can't tell me what to wear/where to stand/how to act" confrontations will be astronomical. The parks in Asia are a different animal; those cultures are very dignified, disciplined, and reserved. Here in America they will have to throw out rude, entitled fools by the bus load.
Then throw them out. 🙄

rk03221

I don’t see Disney removing people with law enforcement forcibly or anything, it’s bad for their image. Safety and image are the two things Disney cares about the most and this virus conflicts with both of those. If Disney does open I honestly don’t see them staying open for very long. Even so, why would you pay full price, possibly extra when it won’t even be the full experience? I wouldn’t pay the money they are asking for without fireworks, parades, shows, all attractions etc.

Baloo62

Then throw them out. 🙄
Oh, they don't want me in charge up there. I would have thrown out at least 10% of the guests that I have had the misfortune to encounter over the years. But Disney won't go there, that's my point. In the age of smart phones, they are in a real pickle. People will not only film other guests openly disobeying the rules without correction, but the heated confrontations with cast members as well. Disney doesn't want either of those scenarios to make headlines or go viral on social media. That is certainly supported by Chapek's comment about guest behavior impacting decisions on whether parks open or not. This is going to be a tough one to navigate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom