Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr. Toad

If you look at the Shanghai video that was posted a few days ago with the walk through the park and want they are doing about social distancing, don’t think it can work. Multiple times throughout the video the head of the park mentioned the boxes that people will be in are separated by one meter to the next box. From the outdoor shows to the quick service restaurant. That’s a little over 3 feet so it seems disney even knows that can’t do 6 ft. They are telling us that 6 foot can’t be done.

This might be a difference in the guidelines from WHO vs CDC. The CDC website recommends keeping a distance of 6 feet. The WHO website recommends "you maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet)".

I would expect Shanghai to follow the WHO guidelines. I hope WDW and DL will try to implement the CDC guidelines. I agree 6 feet seems like it will be difficult but I expect they will try to figure something out to be close to it. My concern is more with how much the guests will pay attention to it.

Honestly, I don't understand why the WHO and the CDC have different distances for their guidelines but it has been this way for awhile.

I also wonder how much they will enforce the mask policy. I am sure you will need a mask to get in but I see many people in stores that pull them down around their neck or remove them once they are in the store. I expect some people will do this in the parks too (and not just for pictures or eating).

Lilofan

Chapek said in the video that guest cooperation will dictate whether or not they stay open. It was clear from his tone that he didn’t expect Florida guests to behave either.
We will see how much WDW will tolerate with guest cooperation wearing the masks. Magnified with the intense heat and humidity of Central Florida, they may even need the assistance of armed law enforcement roaming in the near vicinity.

TrainsOfDisney

I was just curious we don’t in the hospital it’s not practical. I’ve noticed in other places employees don’t adhere to it.

I saw employees without masks within 6ft of each other at the bank and one of them was coughing. So yeah many places are not following all of the rules.

Under the present circumstances, I would much prefer to stay at home watching Disney+, or go for a stroll around the block.

Same. I live nearby some lovely state parks that are now open again. I’ve been visiting waterfalls, and other scenic areas where there is no requirement for masks.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
We will see how much WDW will tolerate with guest cooperation wearing the masks. Magnified with the intense heat and humidity of Central Florida, they may even need the assistance of armed law enforcement roaming in the near vicinity.
But that’s no different from Tokyo or Hong Kong, the latter of which is every bit as legendary for its humidity as Orlando. It’s going to be more about managing the culture of entitlement that some WDW guests seem to have.

I agree that a third party enforcement team (or even a pretend one like having roaming officials from the “reedy creek health department” will help Disney keep some magic while stepping up enforcement.

Or maybe this is a good opportunity for TDO to grow a pair in regards to enforcing the rules for their guests and actually start chucking people out of the parks.

aladdin2007

anyone know if passholders can get out of their monthly payment contract? Just cant see us using the passes the rest of the year with all this...between new restrictions , masks, virtual queue's only (if they go that route) and other cuts etc, I dont think we will go back till next year. I cant see us paying full monthly payments for something thats not going to be worth it once they start up again. has anyone else tried? just wondering how it went.

DisneyDebRob

This might be a difference in the guidelines from WHO vs CDC. The CDC website recommends keeping a distance of 6 feet. The WHO website recommends "you maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet)".

I would expect Shanghai to follow the WHO guidelines. I hope WDW and DL will try to implement the CDC guidelines. I agree 6 feet seems like it will be difficult but I expect they will try to figure something out to be close to it. My concern is more with how much the guests will pay attention to it.

Honestly, I don't understand why the WHO and the CDC have different distances for their guidelines but it has been this way for awhile.

I also wonder how much they will enforce the mask policy. I am sure you will need a mask to get in but I see many people in stores that pull them down around their neck or remove them once they are in the store. I expect some people will do this in the parks too (and not just for pictures or eating).
Your correct, they are the differences between the CDC and WHO. It’s ridiculous why they aren’t the same after many studies have determined how far you should be away from people. 3 feet isn’t nearly far enough and I wonder if they just didn’t update things on their site. CDC guidelines is what we should be following.
Like many said, this is mostly theater if they are separating people by that distance. The 6 feet would be way to hard to handle so do a little bit and see how that goes is their thinking in this.

HongKongFooy

Are you glad to be out of your house with a mask on or would you rather be at your house in quarantine. I hate the mask,

No snide or smart- intention here but I have yet to wear a mask( not even as a try on to mock, jeer or joke around). And I have not stayed home nearly at the same rate as hot zoners. I have been at home more than pre CV, yes, because most retail and all theme parks have been unavailable. Every day from day one we have been out riding, walking, leaving house mostly at will. Our entire neighborhood has been out walking and yapping up a storm, drinking beer and wine. Kids are on bikes and scooters....Mask? What mask....not here as in our zip code anyway. People do the distancing trick in this zip big time but we're out and about daily it seems.

Thus far there has been one single mask policy that has affected me: Costco.
I cancelled and and asked for membership fees back and returned a lot too......took the money and intend to give it to Sam.

If USA Disney has mask policy and Universal doesn't(ya, I know....pretty low odds for that) Universal will get 100% of my theme park dollar..... And vice vice-versa instead of the usual approx the 50 50 split.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
No snide or smart-*** intention here but I have yet to wear a mask( not even as a try on to mock, jeer or joke around). And I have not stayed home nearly at the same rate as hot zoners. I have been at home more than pre CV, yes, because most retail and all theme parks have been unavailable. Every day from day one we have been out riding, walking, leaving house mostly at will. Our entire neighborhood has been out walking and yapping up a storm, drinking beer and wine. Kids are on bikes and scooters....Mask? What mask....not here as in our zip code anyway. People do the distancing trick in this zip big time but we're out and about daily it seems.

Thus far there has been one single mask policy that has affected me: Costco.
I cancelled and and asked for membership fees back and returned a lot too......took the money and intend to give it to Sam.

If USA Disney has mask policy and Universal doesn't(ya, I know....pretty low odds for that) Universal will get 100% of my theme park dollar..... And vice vice-versa instead of the usual approx the 50 50 split.
That'll show them!

Polynesia

anyone know if passholders can get out of their monthly payment contract? Just cant see us using the passes the rest of the year with all this...between new restrictions , masks, virtual queue's only (if they go that route) and other cuts etc, I dont think we will go back till next year. I cant see us paying full monthly payments for something thats not going to be worth it once they start up again. has anyone else tried? just wondering how it went.
My payments were suspended but I’m up for renewal this month. I’m going to renew since there’s a bit of a discount that route. I guess I’d call and see what your options are. I’ve never heard of them refunding tickets just because you don’t want to go. But these are unusual times. A sneaky way to get around it is to cancel the card your payments come out of. That will automatically shut down your pass.

Miss Bella

I saw employees without masks within 6ft of each other at the bank and one of them was coughing. So yeah many places are not following all of the rules.

Same. I live nearby some lovely state parks that are now open again. I’ve been visiting waterfalls, and other scenic areas where there is no requirement for masks.
In our state there is no government law requiring masks. It’s up to the employer.

DisneyDebRob

My payments were suspended but I’m up for renewal this month. I’m going to renew since there’s a bit of a discount that route. I guess I’d call and see what your options are. I’ve never heard of them refunding tickets just because you don’t want to go. But these are unusual times. A sneaky way to get around it is to cancel the card your payments come out of. That will automatically shut down your pass.
Being that the situation isn’t what you paid for, I would hope they would help people out. You are paying for everything that the park offered, that’s what made some purchase. If what you paid for isn’t offered then maybe something could be done? Like paying for a large pizza and getting a small one, without the pepperoni. Take it back, it’s not what you promised me.

Polynesia

Being that the situation isn’t what you paid for, I would hope they would help people out. You are paying for everything that the park offered, that’s what made some purchase. If what you paid for isn’t offered then maybe something could be done? Like paying for a large pizza and getting a small one, without the pepperoni. Take it back, it’s not what you promised me.
I would hope they’d do that, too. Disney is usually all about guest service. I’d call and see if they’d help out in some way.

Phil12

More power to those of you who are able to see past the masks and remain immersed. For me, however, the magic would be compromised and perhaps even ruined.
There is a way to keep the magic alive. Just consider that Mickey and Minnie Mouse are now 92 years old. Rodents of that age sometimes have elimination problems and are unable to fully control those functions. Wearing a mask will help to protect you from the hantavirus!

Brooklin Disney Dad

Even if people know the rules they play stupid to try and get out of them...like all the time lol. The unfortunate thing about a lot of guests at WDW anyways is there are so many of them that try to “beat the system” and get out of whatever it is they can’t do. I guarantee you there will be tons of them that will say they are allergic or something to their masks so they won’t have to wear them. It happens a lot more than you probably think and I’m not trying to sound pessimistic but I saw so much of that kind of behavior when I worked there
I agree with the “beat the system”. Some will go as far as claim a medical issue with wearing masks and illegitimate fatigue/breathing concerns and will get fast passes all day with their family. Tough calls will need to be made by Disney Customer Service.

cmwade77

Yes, I agree with you both. I think we'd all agree that it's not nearly as good as Disney without masks and with full entertainment offerings. Most of us would probably agree that Dinsey with masks is still more fun than sitting in our houses.

the question becomes if it is the best use of the limited resources of time and money. For many, that will probably be no.
It depends on how limited your time and money are, while I know there are many out there suffering and that needs to be addressed, there are many of us who are managing to do at least as well as we were before this, possibly even better due to various government programs that decided to include everyone, such as the stimulus checks.

Before all of this I honestly thought sending stimulus checks to everyone, even those that haven't be affected was a bad idea, but this comment alone makes me understand more why it was a wise choice to make. Those of us that are still getting our full pay have a choice to make after all of this, what do we do with this extra money? And the answer I think is spend it wisely in a way that will hopefully benefit those that are struggling. Now you might think going to a major theme park doesn't necessarily accomplish that, but I would like to suggest that it is one of the ways we can help the best and here is why:
Yes, Disney is a big company, but the theme parks trickle down to many smaller businesses, such as (and this will vary between Disney World and Disneyland):
  • Offsite mobility device rentals
    • This trickles down to gas, auto repair mechanics, spending at local restaurants, shops and smaller entertainment venues, so on and so forth.
  • Local food producers (Disney buys a lot of their food locally, as do many other theme parks)
    • The trickles down in a similar way
  • Considering the smaller volume of people, you may also find you get through everything you want to do faster and may want to explore the area more, so the following are likely to benefit from the tourists that do go:
    • Offsite hotel companies
    • Car Rentals
    • Smaller Entertainment Venues
    • Local businesses and restaurants
The list goes on and on of who all is really dependent on the theme parks, so using some of the money to visit theme parks may not be such a bad thing for those that can afford to do so.

But I would think this would be the family that tends to go at least once every other year instead of the one that saves up for that once in a lifetime trip. If it is a once in a lifetime trip, likely you would want to wait. But, I don't think we can all agree that it would be better without these restrictions, as I and others have pointed out, for some there may be more of an appeal with the restrictions in place than without them.

cmwade77

I agree with the “beat the system”. Some will go as far as claim a medical issue with wearing masks and illegitimate fatigue/breathing concerns and will get fast passes all day with their family. Tough calls will need to be made by Disney Customer Service.
Yes and much like with all disabilities, those that fake it will be making it much harder than it needs to be on those who legitimately have these issues (and they do exist).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom