Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dolbyman

But Disney won't go there, that's my point. In the age of smart phones, they are in a real pickle.

Disney needs to look more towards Universal, they were always a bit more strict towards visitors. I was almost tackled to the ground when I tried to take a snapshot, of the ride picture, with my crappy cellphone (2010) after riding the mummy.

They have less issues with (magical) enforcement

Last edited:

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
how is Georgia doing they opened first does anybody have numbers on them? honestly i havent seen any
It's a bit too early to tell but I can tell you here in Metro Atlanta, its as if the virus is eradicated. Very few people wearing masks, not much distancing going on, i'll be very interested in the numbers in a few weeks.

Disney Analyst

Based on Shanghai, it seems the shows not running are more due to live performers not being able to social distance back stage than having an Audience.

Now 3D shows could still take place, but with castmembers handing out the 3D glasses in a way that guests never touch the CMs' gloves.

So. Muppets could still take place with reduced capacity.

Frozen Sing Along could also still work, as there are very few performers, so backstage social distancing would not be an issue and the theater is huge, so reduced capacity not an issue.

Similarly, the Indy Stunt show could also still take place for similar reasons and that it is an outdoor theater.

Given the numbers, Beauty and the Beast would be harder.

Fantasmic has many modifications that can be made, including reducing the number of live performers, so while unlikely (from a cost perspective), it could be done.

We already know they have said Little Mermaid will not be reopening for other reasons, so that was out regardless, sadly.

Disney Jr would be problematic on many levels.

Launch Bay at Hollywood Studios also wouldn't really work

I watched a live video of the daytime show running at Shanghai yesterday, and there are a TON of people on stage for that show.

jaklgreen

I say the guests should wear masks if Chapek spends a week in July at the parks with his grandkids, all wearing masks for the 12 hour days. If he can handle it and show that it is "no big deal", then he can say that guest should wear them. He should go one step further and work in the parks with a mask. It's easy to sit on your throne and tell people what you think they should do. But actually doing something yourself is another thing.

Last edited:

Communicora

Premium Member
If you look at the Shanghai video that was posted a few days ago with the walk through the park and want they are doing about social distancing, don’t think it can work. Multiple times throughout the video the head of the park mentioned the boxes that people will be in are separated by one meter to the next box. From the outdoor shows to the quick service restaurant. That’s a little over 3 feet so it seems disney even knows that can’t do 6 ft. They are telling us that 6 foot can’t be done.

This might be a difference in the guidelines from WHO vs CDC. The CDC website recommends keeping a distance of 6 feet. The WHO website recommends "you maintain at least 1 metre (3 feet)".

I would expect Shanghai to follow the WHO guidelines. I hope WDW and DL will try to implement the CDC guidelines. I agree 6 feet seems like it will be difficult but I expect they will try to figure something out to be close to it. My concern is more with how much the guests will pay attention to it.

Honestly, I don't understand why the WHO and the CDC have different distances for their guidelines but it has been this way for awhile.

I also wonder how much they will enforce the mask policy. I am sure you will need a mask to get in but I see many people in stores that pull them down around their neck or remove them once they are in the store. I expect some people will do this in the parks too (and not just for pictures or eating).
The rules in the park are more strict than the rules people are living with in their general lives. You have to remember that Shanghai handled this whole thing in a much more strict manner than we have and they have pretty much eliminated the virus.

We are in pretty much the opposite situation here, which really makes me wonder about when Disney really intends to open the parks in Florida.

twebber55

It's a bit too early to tell but I can tell you here in Metro Atlanta, its as if the virus is eradicated. Very few people wearing masks, not much distancing going on, i'll be very interested in the numbers in a few weeks.
thanks i was thinking its been two weeks since Georgia opened and i believe the incubation period is about 15 days so we should know something pretty soon

Disney Analyst

Park Rangers issued 7329 verbal warnings over 3 days!!! Lotsa luck Disney.

Not exactly a fair comparison. Disney will have a much easier job regulating entry to their private parks then those officials regulating who can get on a public beach.

Come to check points without a mask? Turn around and get your own, take one of our complimentary masks, or buy this $5.00 character mask.

Remove your mask when in park and around other guests? Verbal warning. Remove again, security warning. Remove again, walked out of the park.

Disney can play hardball if they so choose, and they just might. Once word got out that they aren't messing around, people will either play along or not go. And imagine if you were the one family refusing and everyone else was following the rules? You would stand out like a sore thumb.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I say the guests should wear masks if Chapek spends a week in July at the parks with his grandkids, all wearing masks for the 12 hour days. If he can handle show that it is "no big deal", then he can say that guest should wear them. He should go one step further and work in the parks with a mask. It's easy to sit on your throne and tell people what you think they should do. But actually doing something yourself is another thing.
Well Chapek did say that “masks for guests would be trying especially in the hot humid summers that we get”. He seems to be fully acknowledging that masks aren’t very practical in the summer at WDW. Of course the sentence before that he said masks would be required for both guests and CMs...so read into that what you want.

TrainsOfDisney

Disney needs to look more towards Universal, they were always a bit more strict towards visitors. I was almost tackled to the ground when I tried to take a snapshot with my crappy cellphone (2010) after riding the mummy.

They have less issues with (magical) enforcement

Regarding things like this (photos) Disney knows it’s easier to catch flies with honey. Disney offers free downloads of lower quality, knowing that AFTER the vacation, guests will go to look at the free photos and will buy them afterwards.

Perhaps if Disney requires masks in the US parks, they can offer free Disney masks to passholders, dvc, resort guests, etc. as a nice incentive. It would be good for guest relations, and also it would make the park look a bit more Disney with the Disney theme masks.

donsullivan

Premium Member
I say the guests should wear masks if Chapek spends a week in July at the parks with his grandkids, all wearing masks for the 12 hour days. If he can handle show that it is "no big deal", then he can say that guest should wear them. He should go one step further and work in the parks with a mask. It's easy to sit on your throne and tell people what you think they should do. But actually doing something yourself is another thing.
This is kind of a ridiculous argument. If you don't like the rules they put in place (and that is your right) then you are not required to visit Walt Disney World while those rules are in place. It's not that difficult of a concept. But the indignant tone I keep seeing on this topic is really ridiculous.

These are the guidelines they've decided they need to implement (at least for now) for the safety of guests and cast members. If you don't like them, then don't visit.

Wildstar

Bravo bravo remind me to buy you a churreo sometime

Disney Analyst

This is kind of a ridiculous argument. If you don't like the rules they put in place (and that is your right) then you are not required to visit Walt Disney World while those rules are in place. It's not that difficult of a concept. But the indignant tone I keep seeing on this topic is really ridiculous.

These are the guidelines they've decided they need to implement (at least for now) for the safety of guests and cast members. If you don't like them, then don't visit.

If anything, Disney's priority is protecting their workforce from the guests. The last thing they need or want is a CM outbreak due to guests who refuse to comply. It's a major health and safety issue, and Safety is the first key.

robhedin

how is Georgia doing they opened first does anybody have numbers on them? honestly i havent seen any
Things started opening up on the 24th of April with restaurants open on the 27th, so we're pretty much 2 weeks in so far.

According to the State, cases and deaths have overall been trending downward since the 27th April.

For info see: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report (the state is updating that info 3 times a day)

DCBaker

Premium Member
“Nearly 120 Disney World custodians are getting called back to work as third-party restaurants reopen at Disney Springs, a union leader said.

Disney Springs officially reopens to the public May 20, although some workers could return to their jobs to keep the complex clean as early as Friday in preparation, said Eric Clinton, president of Unite Here 362.”

monykalyn

I wonder if Disney has thought about randomly testing a statistically relevant number of CMs periodically (daily, weekly, etc) once the parks open to get a base rate of infection. This would be primarily to determine if there’s an uptick in asymptomatic and total infections among CMs over time (they won’t test guests but CMs could be a good proxy).
Probably not a bad plan for any large business actually.

In our state there is no government law requiring masks. It’s up to the employer.
Same here in MO, Arkansas has a mask requirement OTOH
Yet another headline that supports my position.....
Looking closely at that picture it seems many are keeping a distance. I just do NOT understand why people are freaking out about being outside in a sea breeze and sunshine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom