Coronado vs. Port Orleans Riverside

ajmanns

We are planning a late November Disney trip, and we are debating between staying at the Coronado or the Port Orleans Riverside. Any opinions? We want to stay in the moderately priced hotels, which limits us. So, any opinions??

ajmanns

Original Poster
ooops

I am new here, and realized that I should have posted my question in the resort section... I'll go do that. sorry for the mistake! :brick:

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

Welcome to the boards--I'll post in this thread so we don't have two threads getting posts.

Both Resorts are wonderful, but Coronado Springs is my favorite Moderate--beautiful theming, a very kewl pool area themed like an archaeological dig site around a Mayan temple. The only draw back at this resort is the food court, with a particularly annoying set-up, but the Resort itself is beautiful, and close to areas I liked more than the Magic Kingdom as a teenager--MGM, Epcot, Animal Kingdom, Blizzard Beach.

Upvote 0

stuart

Riverside is a great resort, hence the amount of times we've been there. Here is a few helpful points for you.

The resort is so quiet, relaxed, spread out it is a great resort to chill out at. There are 6 pools so if the main one is to busy then there is one about 1 minutes walk from your mansion or bayou. There is only lifeguards at the main pool on Ol' Man Island. There is also a butterfly garden.

You can go fishing and there are bike and boat rental, which includes now the 'watermice' as they are known, the small speed boat things. You can take a boat out quite cheaply

:: BOAT RENTALS ::
SunTracker Family Pontoon Boat : $32.01 1/2 hour
Canopy Boats : $26.50 1/2 hour
Paddle Boats, Kyaks, Canoes : $6.50 1/2 hour $13.00 1 hour

:: SURREY / QUADRICYCLE ::
Two-seater : $16.00 1/2 hour
Four-seater : $ 20.00 1/2 hour

:: FISHIN' HOLE ::
Cane pole fishing w/ bait : $4.00 1/2 hour
Up to 6 : $13.25 1/2 hour

Those prices may change for the winter and do not include tax

There is a great food court which is well set out. As well as a great lounge and restaurant.

Transportation from Riverside is quite good. There is a two main stops at the front of the resort and then there are another 3 stops or 'depots' around the resort which do not get visited by the first buses in the morning.

You get to places quite quickly though sometimes if there is a lot of people it is quicker to get from the main gate to EPCOT than it is to go round all the stops at the resort.

Magic Kingdom takes 12 mins.
EPCOT takes just over 5 mins
MGM takes about 20 mins
Animal Kingdom takes 25 mins - 30 mins
B.B. takes between 20 & 25 mins get A.K. bus
Typhoon Lagoon takes between 5 and 10 mins (unless by D.D.)
Downtown Disney takes between 5 and 10 mins by bus and now it takes around 25 mins by boat instead of about 15.

If you want ill PM you a map of the resort

Upvote 0

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
I must remind you sweetie that it is only a place to sleep. All resorts look the same with your eyes closed. My advice is to go with which of the two have the best food courts! (You'd be suprised how much that can affect your view of a resort.)

Good luck! :D

Upvote 0

Daannzzz

I like both of them very much. The differences are that CSR has only one sink in the bathroom but has a coffee maker and iron and ironing board. The rooms are newer at CSR as well. I am one who likes the Pepper Market a lot.
I just got back from a stay at POR and was in the mansion home section which I wasn't sure I would like but I loved it. It feels more like you have gone to a certain place and time than any of the other moderates.
Look at the pictures and choose the one you like the best.

Upvote 0

WDWFREAK53

I gotta say Coronado...

Unbelievably beautiful, quiet, large, great pool, largest jacuzzi on property, and like said, the only thing wrong with it is the food court...

Upvote 0

LivefortheMouse

To me every Disney Resort is wonderful in its on special way though i have my favorites, i love them all. Each is themed diffrent crs has a mexican southwestern theme its beautiful. The food at the pepper mart is great(try the cheese omlett). POR has more of a southern style, u feel like if ur somewhere in the early 1900s. Its beautiful my personal favorite from the moderate resorts. (because i love that style) the food here though is just american and very southern (have awesome pizza) and Boat Wrights is mouth watering everything there is good. Every resort has diffrent theme and is special in its own way (at coronado u will feel like if u traveled to mexico and at port orleans like if your part of the early 1900s in the south) it all depends on what adventure u wanna take. Have fun on ur trip to Disney.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

wannabeBelle

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions!!! You have picked so far the top two out of my list for the resorts.
coronado is lovely and as previously mentioned the main pool area is OUTSTANDING. The set up is nice and usually doesnt have too many kids.
Port Orleans, ah my sweet Southern home for a not so southern gal!!!! I loved the Mansion section as well. The stroll along the banks of the Sassagoula is just simply outstanding in the morning. I stayed at the Bayou section recently but I wasnt blown away. The pathways are very winding and kinda got me dizzy ( Not really tough to do!!) Boatwrights is worth a special trip over for breakfast on its own!!! The Quiet pools appeal to me in this resort. I appreciate the peace & quiet more so than the activity over at the Main pool area.
Whichever you decide you will have a winner!!! Belle

Upvote 0

ImaSheDevil

I've stayed at both places and I personally like Riverside better just because I like the whole southern Mansion Mark Twain feel...but Coronado is very unique.

Major differences...

-the food at Coronado isn't as great unless you've got a huge thing for Mexican food.
-Coronado's a lot more barrin (sp?) than Riverside...a lot less vegetation
-Coronado's pool is AMAZING...the Aztec water slide is just really really neat...Riverside has more of a watering hole kinda feel.
-If the leaves are falling in Florida which I don't think they do but still in November Riverside might be more interesting
-Coronado is farther away from most of the 'world' so traveling time on the bus is gonna be longer to mostly everywhere
-Riverside has a water taxi that takes you to Downtown Disney which is a nice alternative to the buses

Another place you might want to think about if you still like the whole southern feel...French Quater has great theming...the iron fencing and pool area are beautiful and you can still get the water taxi to Downtown Disney.

I don't know if French Quater is gonna still be closed for refurbishing in Nov. but it's still an option...

No matter what both resorts are really nice...you'll definitely enjoy it.

Upvote 0

goofyfan13

This is a really tough decision. My decision will have to be Port Orleans Riverside. I personally like the pool area better at CS and the cabanos are nice with great location. But at POR I love the Alligator Bayou and I do like the food court they have better than Cornado's. It might be because I grew up with it and it just has more of the Disney feel for me. Their pool area is really nice vey close to Cornado's and its a very nice resort to just walk around. And you can't go wrong with being in walking distance to POFQ to go and get some beignets. :slurp: :slurp:

Upvote 0

kennyj29

You left out the best moderate!

How can you leave out Caribbean Beach Resort? That's the best Moderate by far! It's beautiful, it has a great food court, it has a beautiful walking trail and the rooms are the biggest of the moderates! To me, you can't beat it!

Upvote 0

ajmanns

Original Poster
:) Hey, thanks for all the advice everyone! We have decided on Port Orleans Riverside! Since we are going in late November, I'm not really sure how much swimming we'll actually do, so the pool is not the biggest deciding factor with us. The food court convenience and quality is important, though, since we'll want to get something to eat quickly in the morning and get on our way. I like the sound of the landscaping/vegetation/atmosphere of the bayou-likeness of Port Orleans.

The reason we are not considering Carribean Beach this time is that we stayed there last time (5 years ago). It was ok... we felt it was nothing outstanding. We had previously stayed at Wilderness Lodge in 1995, and of course the moderate-priced resorts will be a step down. At least we felt that way about the Carribean. So we are ready to try something different.

I can't believe the price jump from moderate to the "home away from home" resorts! It's like 2 and a half times the $$$! We were able to stay at Wilderness Lodge in '95 because my parents picked up the tab!! LOL.....weren't we lucky???

So, thank you all for your opinions! In general, from what I've read from ratings, opinions, etc., Port Orleans just edges by Coronado.... so that's the way the cookie crumbles! I'm sure CS is lovely too! No matter what, we will be in DISNEY WORLD!!! And what could not be better????? :sohappy: :) :sohappy:

Upvote 0

kennyj29

You can't go from WL to Caribbean Beach and expect it to be the same. You have to look at it from the price difference. If you would have gone to any of the moderates from the WL you would have felt the same. They just redid the food court and everything last year so you would probably feel differently. Anyway, expect a smaller room because CB has the biggest rooms there.

Upvote 0

ajmanns

Original Poster
Yup, we knew that taking the step down to the moderates would be a bit disappointing. Not to mention that Wilderness Lodge was only 2 years old when we stayed there... everything fresh and new. Carribean just did not sparkle as much if you know what I mean. Ok... thanks for the heads up on the room size. I'm glad you have warned us, because we thought the CB rooms were small! We spend next to no time in our room, so we'll be fine, I'm sure! Thanks again! :cool:

Upvote 0

kennyj29

Have a great time!!!!!! I'm jealous. I have 172 days left to go. I'm tempted to take a weekend trip to get my Disney fix but the vacation in December is costing me a fortune since we're doing a week in Disney and then a week on the Disney cruise. I'm still scrapping for that one!

Upvote 0

ajmanns

Original Poster
Kenny,
Have a wonderful time on the cruise!! YOU WILL, I just know it! We went for the 7-day cruise over Thanksgiving of 2000. It was awesome... everything, down to the last detail. You are really doin' it Disney in December, aren't you?!! LOL. Well, have the time of your life! (are you going with family?)

Upvote 0

kennyj29

We are taking my mom for the first part which is the disney parks (she loves going there), then she's going to her grandaughters house for the rest of the time while we meet 3 couples (friends of ours) for the cruise. It should be a lot of fun. We did the Disney Cruise on the Wonder for 4 days. Now the kids are coming (their really adults now) and they've never done the Disney Cruise. They have done other cruises but not the Disney Cruise. We still go on vacation with them. Since they've been splitting the bills, we've been able to stay at the Polynesian, get the food plans, it's been great. Stuff we always dreamed about when they were little and we stayed outside of disney and couldn't afford much.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom