Coronado Springs Resort - Good or Bad?

AJScooch

Staying at CSR in August for 2 weeks. Never stayed there before so we decided to try it. What should we know about the resort? Did we make a good choice?

allgar

The only thing I have to say about this is you are missing out on so much if you always choose to not eat at the restaurants on property. They contain some of the best dining experiences I've ever had. I hope you're not saying that you don't ever take the time to make ADRs for some of the fabulous restaurants on property!

Goodness no... we eat on property all the time, and regularly (multiple times on a trip) dine in Epcot, always once at Victoria and Alberts, have enjoyed character meals, shows like the Luau, explored the buffet over at Ft. Wilderness, all kinds of things.

I'm just referring to the standard resort dining i.e. the food courts... and as I say, they are good rather simple fair which in my mind is a bit pricey. If I'm not in a park and I'm just going to go have a burger or a sandwich, I'll head off resort.

Upvote 0

dreamfinder

When comparing the food prices and quality, you need to remember that it is not run by Disney, but by a 3rd party. So their prices may be higher due to economies of scale, the percentage they pay to Disney and so on.

Upvote 0

sbkline

We stayed there in April and really enjoyed it. As others have pointed out, there is alot of walking. We were in Casitas 2, and it was quite a hike to the food court and the pool area, and even the nearest bus stop was a little bit of a walk...at least compared to when we stayed at Magnolia Bend at POR and the bus stop was basically right in front of our building. However, as much as you have to walk at all the parks, how can one complain about the amount of walking at the resort? If I can walk all over the Magic Kingdom all day, then walking a ways from my room to the food court certainly isn't going to kill me.

We ate at Maya Grill and the food itself was good, but the restaraunt overall wasn't anything spectacular. Not when you compare it to the neat themed restaraunts elsewhere on property, anyway.

But despite those comments, it was a pretty resort and we enjoyed ourselves. Pretty pool and play area, which my son loved.

I think my only other complaint was that the Marina was closed. It said it was out of season or something, which I totally don't get, given that April in Florida is like July up here, and the marina at POR was open both times that we went in April. We would have liked to do a surrey bike ride, but oh well, we still had a great time.

Would I stay there again? Yes and no. Yes, in the sense that it was a good resort and overall I was quite satisfied with it. No, in the sense that there are so many other ones I want to try and since we're lucky if we can go every year, I don't want to waste opportunities to try new resorts by limiting ourselves to the same ones over and over.

If you stay there, I'm sure you will enjoy it. :wave:

Upvote 0

devoy1701

Goodness no... we eat on property all the time, and regularly (multiple times on a trip) dine in Epcot, always once at Victoria and Alberts, have enjoyed character meals, shows like the Luau, explored the buffet over at Ft. Wilderness, all kinds of things.

I'm just referring to the standard resort dining i.e. the food courts... and as I say, they are good rather simple fair which in my mind is a bit pricey. If I'm not in a park and I'm just going to go have a burger or a sandwich, I'll head off resort.

Ok! Good! I was worried for a second! I thought you were missing out on an important part of a Disney Vacation! :D
:wave:

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I've stayed there twice in the past and have really enjoyed it. Beautiful grounds, great resort, nice pool, good food too. Both times I stayed in Cabanas-very nice and great to be close to the main building. They also rehabbed the rooms at Coronado last year so that's an extra treat.

Upvote 0

bamillerpa

I think Mouse Man stated it best in his con list, with all of the convention people you don't feel like you really got away for a Disney vacation. My favorite part of a Disney vacation is picking my resort because we NEVER spend the amount of money on lodging as we do at Disney. Disney is just special and I want the magic to follow through to the resort. With all of their great theming and resort choices I want the magic to last and seeing a bunch of business men in their suits kind of ruins it for me. I don't want the outside world intruding.

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

We stayed there in 2002 and it was okay..the restaurant wasn't anything special to us, but we still talk about the food court...I didn't realize that it was more expensive than the rest..my hubby still says it is the best one..that being said we were planning on staying there this trip bcuz my dad didnt' want to pay for AKL..well hubby decided to upgrade him at a surprise so we are staying there..but for moderates it's our first choice..but as pp said it is ALOT of walking

Upvote 0

erinshaneb

When comparing the food prices and quality, you need to remember that it is not run by Disney, but by a 3rd party. So their prices may be higher due to economies of scale, the percentage they pay to Disney and so on.

I heard at one time it was actually owned by Hyatt or Marriott, but they had a "deal" with Disney

Upvote 0

gboiler1

Stayed at CS in March 2010. We enjoyed the resort rooms, landscaping, main pool, but didn't care for all the walking. That is the main reason we likely won't stay there again. We stayed in Casitas building 5, first floor with water view which was nice. At the end of the day, we didn't want to walk to El Centro to eat after coming back to our room, so we made sure we ate at the parks. So with that said our free refillable mug wasn't much value to us as it has been at other resorts in the past, but that's a small thing.
The thing we did like was Bus Stop 2 is actually the first stop the bus makes when going around the resort.

Upvote 0

Club34

At this point i stay at the CSR exclusively im at almost 10x the past decade. ive sampled the other 2 mods and dont know if i could go back. now i go in low season as i despise the heat and crowds (although i encourage the rest of you to feed the mouse during hot summer months with your kids, so i can have the place to myself when i go). with that ive only encountered conventions that impeded by enjoyment this year (a minimart manager convention and a popular paint company). and it really wasnt that bad.

the food is a bit pricier than others but as my man buzz pointed out its not CBR heat lamp specials (which is some of the worst food on the grounds IMHO). the breakfast buffet (RIP) was king for $17 (although many still complained and didnt eat there). never understood that. however, POR stopped breakfast at boatwrights (RIP) and so now thats a wash too. CBR doesnt even have a sit down breakfast which is a must for me (the most important meal of the day). there is also room service. market nachos rule at the pepper market. cafe rix with the housemade (i think) gelato is to die for. a small is like a quart for like 4 bucks. other snacks and entrees are good too. i would say that the maya grill dinner menu could use an over haul, but i generally eat away from the resort anyway when i come to table service lunch/dinner.

The size of the resort to me is not a factor. you walk a lot at WDW, you deal. plus if you're really a baby about it, the CSR has 4 bus stops and you can hitch a ride to the lobby with certain buses. these 4 bus stops also make it the best mod for transport around the world. POR lovers forget what july is like trying to get to the parks or worst yet going home. and for those staying at the far end of the CBR, yeah i would put money that its farther than the last cabana at CSR. do a google earth to look. the CBR is huge and not all in a circle.

Pool area rivals AK or poly. the pyramid at night is a sight to behold with the fake fire at the top. the tub also holds more than 2 ppl unlike CBR (parents- its not a bathtub for your children and not safe for infants).

the decor is spectacular, but then so are the other 2. the CSR has many fountains and a tropical/spanish feel which i really like. the lobby area and gift shop are ample and welcoming. there are subtle amenities too like the spa and fitness center which are used by myself and you cant get those at other mods only top end deluxe. the rooms have been rehabbed and they are definitely 2-3 notches above any of the other mods and maybe some deluxe.

well, im excited to go back now. and now that i think about it, please disregard all of my arguments. i think everyone would be happier elsewhere. i love strolling lago dorado at night without a soul around. the CSR is crappy, please dont go there in january. :lookaroun what can i say, this is my home.

Upvote 0

Buzz2001

I heard at one time it was actually owned by Hyatt or Marriott, but they had a "deal" with Disney
No, it is and always has been operated Palmas Services, LLC which operates the food service throughout CSR including the Pepper Market, Cafe Rix, Maya Grill, Siesta’s, Rix Lounge, Las Ventanas and Laguna Bar.

Palmas Services, LLC has been in Orlando for more than 25 years and they also operate the San Angel Inn Restaurant, La Cava del Tequila and La Cantina in the Mexican pavilion at Epcot.

Upvote 0

disneygirl1

Love. Love, Love CSR!!!! It is my favorite moderate resort! Have stayed there several times, and will definitely be staying there again at some point in the future!!!

Upvote 0

AJScooch

Original Poster
Thanks

Thanks to everyone that posted something in this thread. We are looking forward to taking our daughter (16 months at the time) for her first trip to the World and wanted everything to be great. We can't wait to get there.

Upvote 0

Burning Metal

We stayed at Coranado Springs a couple years ago and LOVED it! In my opinion, they have the best pool out of ANY of the resorts...very cool the way it's themed and the slide is alot of fun. We (myself, wife and, at the time, 12 year old stepson) loved getting up early and taking a long, slow walk to the food court before most people were up and about. The bus service was great and we never had any trouble at all with conventions or anything...we'll definitely stay there again.

Upvote 0

LiveyMouse22

I LOVE Coronado Springs. It's one of my family's favorites. The theming is really unique and the rooms are soooo nice! I think that it has a pretty good proximity to all of the parks. None of the parks are too far. Great choice!:wave:

Upvote 0

riogirl

Best Moderate

My husband and 4 year old son stayed at CSR last August and we loved it!! A lot of mixed reviews about the size of the resort, but don't let this discourage you. It is great, especially if you research a little and decide what location is best for you. We stayed in Casitas building 5 and it was at Bus Stop #2 which really is the first stop in the resort, so we always had a seat in the morning and we were dropped off first at night! Excellent bus service and beautiful scenery. Pool was super, the size of it, slide, playground and pool bar were excellent. The only negative I felt was the food. The Pepper Market was so pretty, but food in my opionion was so-so, but for the amount of times we ate there, we never had problems. Enjoy your stay!

Upvote 0

Mr Toad

I truly like CSR and will probably stay there again. Yes, it does have all the convention facilities, but that just means that lots of folks are going to be in the convention center and not using the pool! The conventioneers were not a bothersome group unlike the unruly South American teen tour groups that plague the value resorts. CSR is a wonderful resort and you will enjoy staying there.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom