News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

Lensman

’m still very intrigued to see what this former entrance/registration area looks like next week/next month. Surely the desks, counters will be removed, but guests in the tower will need to walk through en route to El Mercado, The Rix, Panchitos, etc. Perhaps they will close it off one side at a time. 🤷🏼‍♀️
Maybe they'll just put in some tables and barstools and convert the old registration area into a bar? (hearkening back to a discussion months ago about whether some piece of concept art was a lobby or a bar)

Stripes

I really like Rob. Seems like a genuinely nice guy. His videos always brighten my day.

The lobby reminds me a bit of Shanghai Disney‘s.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Is this new hotel run by Marriott or Hilton?

Anyone who says Disney Springs is bland has zero taste and should not be taken seriously 😂😂 Its one of the best things that's happened non park wise at WDW in this decade. Likewise thede new additions to the hotel look amazing, cannot wait to stay there! Luckily I am getting a raise on August, so bring it on!! #hatersgonnahate

I like springs because of the offerings...but the look is pretty horrid.

It’s basically sawgrass on steroids or the bayfront marketplace. Overblown retail really can’t hide itself. The lead up to “springs” ballyhooed some kind of ingenious Disney and natural setting...
What they built was a mall that has some weird chlorine puddles hear and there with lights. You never notice them. Lakefront alone wouldn’t have detracted much.

raymusiccity

Good for you if you like the direction that they are taking with all the new resort builds. I wish I had your taste in design because it doesn't make me happy and I don't enjoy being unhappy. Disney Springs may be detailed and all shiny, new and hip but it lacks character. There is no heart in it. What does it represent? Looks just like many upscale So Cal shopping centers to me. It may look "nice" but I'm not drawn into whatever world it is attempting to create. I don't see creativity, personality or just plain "fun" when I look at it.

It doesn't feel like the Disney I used to know and fell in love with. But I don't get much of that type feeling driving around the property anymore. I guess that is on account of my lack of taste.;)
To paraphrase Yogi Berra: 'That place isn't any good, it's always crowded' !! :D

eliza61nyc

Dahlia lounge looks amazing and the Boardroom is gorgeous.

I say it every time I read reviews here, I've got to start visiting malls around the country. Seems so many people here have malls that look like resorts. Lol.
New creperia looks like a mall
Saratoga springs looks like a mall
Grab Destino looks like a mall. What malls are folks going to?

Last edited:

mgf

Last edited:

Missing20K

The complaints about this architecture being "not Disney" is, IMO, just silly. It's the same argument used against the Swolphin.

How is a big concrete A-frame of the Contemporary "Disney themed"? It's just a big chunk of modern architecture.

How is the Polynesian "Disney themed"? It's just Polynesian themed architecture.

How is the Grand Floridian "Disney themed"? It's just a building with a certain architectural style.

The same with the Swolphin. The same with the new CSR tower.

And when Disney tries to make something specifically Disney themed either with an in-your-face giant fiberglass characters or a subtle BatB inspired lounge... it gets slammed for being gaudy or not respecting the architecture or cramming Disney down our throats!

I'll bite.

Spaces can be plenty "Disney" without being plastered with Hidden Mickeys. Spaces can also be plenty "Disney" when they are plastered with Hidden Mickeys. Context and execution are what delineates the successes from the failures.

The CSR Tower is an odd selection of architectural style in a poorly executed design when compared to the other Deluxe resorts you've cited.

Above all else, what, to me anyway, separates Disney from the rest, and what makes Disney, "Disney", is the storytelling. I believe CSR tower fails to tell a coherent, relevant story (in particular with regards to the existing resort).

Did Gaudi get sent over to the New World to design an office building?

mgf

I'll bite.

Fair point, and I think it stems from the fact they went for influence instead of fully embracing Gaudi. How cool would it have been to have a Wilderness Lodge level homage? Could have been incredible instead of just interesting to those who have had the privileged of actually going to Barcelona.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I'll bite.

Spaces can be plenty "Disney" without being plastered with Hidden Mickeys. Spaces can also be plenty "Disney" when they are plastered with Hidden Mickeys. Context and execution are what delineates the successes from the failures.

The CSR Tower is an odd selection of architectural style in a poorly executed design when compared to the other Deluxe resorts you've cited.

Above all else, what, to me anyway, separates Disney from the rest, and what makes Disney, "Disney", is the storytelling. I believe CSR tower fails to tell a coherent, relevant story (in particular with regards to the existing resort).

As I see it, the "story" behind "Destino" is: You're here at WDW for a convention.

I'll call it "poorly executed" if it falls over in the next hurricane.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom