News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

TabulaRasa

Wow! This is a great step forward for Coronado, and it's clear that it's going to receive a Deluxe classification based on the description. I wonder if this spells out a new Moderate (which is needed), and a new transportation system connecting Coronado/AKL to Animal Kingdom.

CJR

This distracts us from the Gondolas!

Probably the core purpose of the announcement; they probably weren't happy at all about the media attention those got. Probably came a lot earlier than they were wanting.

Still, we'll take it! A very solid addition to an already decent resort. Looking forward to the upgrades at Coronado Springs! Never stayed there, might do it now.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Wow! This is a great step forward for Coronado, and it's clear that it's going to receive a Deluxe classification based on the description. I wonder if this spells out a new Moderate (which is needed), and a new transportation system connecting Coronado/AKL to Animal Kingdom.
I think this is the beginning of the end of the value-moderate-deluxe designations. There has been talk for some time about changing over to MK Resorts-EPCOT Resorts-AK Resorts, and DS Resorts. Pricing will be determined by which area you are in.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
At 15 stories tall, this would be a similar height to Contemporary, correct? And with a roof-top restaurant (which mirrors the idea for California Grill), I have to imagine this would be a new signature meal. Wonder what the sight lines from up there would be like... I mean, which of the night time shows could you really see/appreciate from there...

WildernessMan83

At 15 stories tall, this would be a similar height to Contemporary, correct? And with a roof-top restaurant (which mirrors the idea for California Grill), I have to imagine this would be a new signature meal. Wonder what the sight lines from up there would be like... I mean, which of the night time shows could you really see/appreciate from there...

The distance from the top of this new tower to the fireworks show at Hollywood Studios is roughly the same as MK fireworks to the Poly beach. Id say close enough to use as a selling feature for evening dining.

Tom P.

I think this is the beginning of the end of the value-moderate-deluxe designations. There has been talk for some time about changing over to MK Resorts-EPCOT Resorts-AK Resorts, and DS Resorts. Pricing will be determined by which area you are in.
I honestly think that started happening when Art of Animation opened. It is classified officially as a value resort, but it is clearly in a different league than the other values, in terms of quality but more importantly in terms of pricing. I think it's getting harder and harder for Disney to have broad categories of resorts that everything neatly fits into.

TabulaRasa

I was thinking the same thing. Especially with the almost simultaneous announcement of another moderate hotel, the Carribean. Both scream of the rumored new "moderate level" DVC options...
I really don't think that's the case because it's just not how DVC does things. DVC tends to wait until they have marketed a new property extensively before they announce the next. It's always been this way. With the press release today, they specifically mentioned that Coronado was getting new lodging additions, and concierge, and conversely they mentioned NO new lodging for Caribbean (even though we know it's coming). The omission of new rooms at Caribbean from the press release makes it seem like DVC is coming there, not Coronado (which I think will stay as a Deluxe conference-centric resort.

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I'm guessing the convention rates and floorspace at CSR will skyrocket once completed. Orlando is positioning itself to be the convention center magnet of the east coast. TDO can make a boatload being friendly to conventions. Their current space lacks the distinction that competitors have. A 15 story luxury tower with all the bells and whistles is the right answer.

This a corporate cash grab from a corporation to other corporations. They're going to make a lot of money with this.

DisneyJoe

I honestly think that started happening when Art of Animation opened. It is classified officially as a value resort, but it is clearly in a different league than the other values, in terms of quality but more importantly in terms of pricing. I think it's getting harder and harder for Disney to have broad categories of resorts that everything neatly fits into.
Travel Agents were initially told that AoA was a "value +" resort...

WildernessMan83

I have a hard time believing this resort will remain on an island without any transportation other than bus. If the gondola system is happening, would they really exclude this resort?

Bolt

I'm guessing the convention rates and floorspace at CSR will skyrocket once completed. Orlando is positioning itself to be the convention center magnet of the east coast. TDO can make a boatload being friendly to conventions. Their current space lacks the distinction that competitors have. A 15 story luxury tower with all the bells and whistles is the right answer.

This a corporate cash grab from a corporation to other corporations. They're going to make a lot of money with this.
They also have days in a row of no conventions that they're more concerned about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom