News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I like the bridges idea, but a tower seems completely out of place and against the theme of the resort.
Yeah. No high rises in Mexico. Right?

Edit to add....

The new looks feels Atlantian. I hope this reference doesn't call she who shall not be named. But the high rise surrounded by lower rise with gardens and such connecting it all.

Last edited:

Jahona

So first thought was yay new stuff! Second thought was 15 stories is to tall for the resorts current theme. The preview images feel out of place considering the other buildings, and I don't get a Southwest vibe and more of a typical modern hotel. It will be interesting to see how they class the resort when finished.

wdw_nerd

this is disappointing for me and my family. CSR is our home resort, we've stayed countless times, when we think of Disney world, CSR is automatically attached to it. I have a lot of concerns but it sucks to have to wait for answers.

I'm assuming the tower will have a nice ($$) restaurant that will attract guests from other properties, even off site guests to be able to eat and see the DHS fireworks like guests do when they book at Ohana to see Wishes. I've seen people excited to see the fireworks from the rooftop but CSR isn't going to let just anyone on those higher floors with suites and VIP's, you'll have to have a dining reservation or be staying in one of the fancier ($$) rooms in the tower. Also if this is a destination that more people will be filtering in and out of, will that affect bus transportation and traffic.

Any improvements that are made will likely increase pricing for the standard rooms, adding the word "Deluxe" to anything usually gives them a right to charge more. I feel like we'll soon be priced out of our favorite resort for our family vacation at Disney just so business guests and conventioners can have somewhere "more posh" to stay.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
this is disappointing for me and my family. CSR is our home resort, we've stayed countless times, when we think of Disney world, CSR is automatically attached to it. I have a lot of concerns but it sucks to have to wait for answers.

I'm assuming the tower will have a nice ($$) restaurant that will attract guests from other properties, even off site guests to be able to eat and see the DHS fireworks like guests do when they book at Ohana to see Wishes. I've seen people excited to see the fireworks from the rooftop but CSR isn't going to let just anyone on those higher floors with suites and VIP's, you'll have to have a dining reservation or be staying in one of the fancier ($$) rooms in the tower. Also if this is a destination that more people will be filtering in and out of, will that affect bus transportation and traffic.

Any improvements that are made will likely increase pricing for the standard rooms, adding the word "Deluxe" to anything usually gives them a right to charge more. I feel like we'll soon be priced out of our favorite resort for our family vacation at Disney just so business guests and conventioners can have somewhere "more posh" to stay.
Times change, and you gotta change with 'em. I used to hate the concept of FP+, but I got over it. This, too, shall pass.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
The blog post said they would "refurbish" the current rooms... wasn't CSR one of the most resorts to do that? Anyways, IF this is to be done by 2019, what are the chances that the refurb contains some Star Wars themed rooms to coincide with the opening of Star Wars Land?

WildernessMan83

The blog post said they would "refurbish" the current rooms... wasn't CSR one of the most resorts to do that? Anyways, IF this is to be done by 2019, what are the chances that the refurb contains some Star Wars themed rooms to coincide with the opening of Star Wars Land?

I would be surprised to see Star Wars rooms at the Coronado Springs due to its theming. Seems like the themed rooms (so far) mesh with the resort theme.

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
I would be surprised to see Star Wars rooms at the Coronado Springs due to its theming. Seems like the themed rooms (so far) mesh with the resort theme.

Just theme it to the Stars Wars planet that has the most similar climate... CSR gets Tatooine themed rooms, Port Orleans gets Dagobah themed rooms, Art of Animation gets Naboo (in the animated style of Clone Wars).

Club34

As you can see by my avatar, the CSR is my home. This is devastating news. The tower is completely out of touch with theming of this resort which is one of the absolute best on property. CSR is probably the most underrated resort at disney. The resort is already quite large but sprawling. The vastness allowed it to hold a lot of people without ever really seeming crowded unless you were caught up in massive conventions, which in my numerous times there I rarely did. I cannot see the amenities and resources being able to sustain. The pool area which IS the best on property will not sustain it. I think this is a bad move for guest experience. Very bad. I am with Spectro above ^ in that I don't know if I will keep my reservation there for October. I may bounce to AKL. That resort seems stable at the moment. Man, I am really really bummed. That tower is an abomination.

TrojanUSC

I think this is the beginning of the end of the value-moderate-deluxe designations. There has been talk for some time about changing over to MK Resorts-EPCOT Resorts-AK Resorts, and DS Resorts. Pricing will be determined by which area you are in.

Yes because someone staying in the AK Resort Area will pay the same pricing whether they're at DAK Lodge or All Star Sports. Really?

Laketravis

Hmmm.......at first glance it reminds me of the Rosen Shingle Creek. But taller.

Rosen.jpg

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Looks nice. As for theming, I don't know what the official story will be, but to me it looks like the development can be explained thusly:
  • The Dig Site is the archeological find that started drawing people to the area.
  • That led to cabanas for those working at the dig site, and then casitas for visitors and more workers as the site grew.
  • Amenities were added to give the visitors and workers things to do other than archeology.
  • And now that it's become a destination, here comes a luxury tower to draw a class of visitors used to finer things.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom