• Welcome to the WDWMAGIC.COM Forums!
    Please take a look around, and feel free to sign up and join the community.You can use your Twitter or Facebook account to sign up, or register directly.

News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Saturday, January 19, 2019. The upper sides of the tower have gotten finishing touches. Cast member states tower will be ready in August.

IMG_0990.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

On the lakeside of the tower, decorative details are being installed, as per the concept art.

IMG_0991.JPG

The framework for the enclosed, air-conditioned passage between the original Coronado Springs lobby and the tower has been erected. (According to the concept video in the lobby.) The outer grounds on the lakeside of the tower have been graded for landscaping, protected by this plastic sheet.

IMG_0992.JPG

IMG_0994.JPG

Work continues on the lake bar and restaurant.

IMG_0993.JPG

Last edited:

JenniferS

You’re nothing. But not to me.
Premium Member
Photo update as of Saturday, January 19, 2019. The upper sides of the tower have gotten finishing touches.

View attachment 342047

View attachment 342051

On the lakeside of the tower, decorative details are being installed, as per the concept art.

View attachment 342048

The framework for the enclosed, air-conditioned passage between the original Coronado Springs lobby and the tower has been erected. (According to the concept video in the lobby.) The outer grounds on the lakeside of the tower have been graded for landscaping, protected by this plastic sheet.

View attachment 342049

View attachment 342050

Work continues on the lake bar and restaurant.

View attachment 342052
Thank you, as usual.

I just sent an email to my TA to investigate the possibility of upgrading our September Preferred King room to a room in the tower. Heck, I’d even consider two Queen beds to make it work.

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Thursday, January 31, 2019.

The enclosed, air conditioned connector framework as seen from the original Coronado Springs check-in lobby windows. The construction scrim had fallen down and the connector is visible here, where it will connect with the current lobby.

I apologize in advance if the following have been posted previously. In the Coronado Springs lobby there is a video of artists' concept pictures of the new tower and surrounding landscaping. I only present a few of the views shown, there are others.

Last edited:

surfsupdon

I just realized why this looks so prision like, no balconies. That is the one thing we really enjoy in a deluxe stay.
Agree. Very much missing balconies.

I always say, from experience, that rooms that don’t open up to the outside (either from a balcony or front common area) usually smell. I want that fresh air in my room!

Not sure if this has been answered already but is the walkway near the new restaurant open to the public for easier access to the main building or is it still only the walkway from Cabanas to Main building?

eddie104

Photo update as of Thursday, January 31, 2019.

View attachment 346576

The enclosed, air conditioned connector framework as seen from the original Coronado Springs check-in lobby windows. The construction scrim had fallen down and the connector is visible here, where it will connect with the current lobby.

View attachment 346577

I apologize in advance if the following have been posted previously. In the Coronado Springs lobby there is a video of artists' concept pictures of the new tower and surrounding landscaping. I only present a few of the views shown, there are others.

View attachment 346578

View attachment 346579

View attachment 346580

View attachment 346581

View attachment 346583

View attachment 346584
Is it me or does this not look as bad as people are making it out to be ???

WDW Monorail

Is it me or does this not look as bad as people are making it out to be ???
I’m excited to see it complete and open. Unfortunately, I don’t have the luxury of planning visits months in advance so hopefully the high number of suites will be advantageous to mee since it is always difficult to find suites at the deluxe resorts on such short notice.

Bocabear

I don't think anyone is making it out to be terrible...it certainly seems to have a lot more style than the Riviera Resort, though it is missing balconies... Always difficult to make that lep when you have a campus of low building since it's inception, and then add a gigantic tower...especially when space is not an issue....
But other than that, it looks fine...

Magic Feather

Not sure if this has been answered already but is the walkway near the new restaurant open to the public for easier access to the main building or is it still only the walkway from Cabanas to Main building?
All three bridges will be guest accessible. The restaurant is located at the meeting point of the three bridges, but it does not block them. This will be especially helpful for guests going from Casitas to the Pool or former lobby/convention space. The general thought is that post-renovation the tower will be the primary convention hotels space followed by the Casitas. Meanwhile, the Ranchos(?) and Cabanas will be primarily intended for parks guests.

Nextinline

It admittedly looks better than I expected. However, there are three huge elements that are still troubling:
  1. The scale of the resort. If this tower was 50-70% of its current size it would fit in with the surrounding area. When you see how puny El Centro looks in comparison, it takes away from the entire resort IMO. Granted, I haven't seen it in person since 2017.
  2. The theme still isn't correct. The interiors are far too modern and generic to put this on par with the rest of the resort. The overall styling still isn't many (if any) steps away from a chain resort hotel.
  3. The impact of the increased number of guests at the resort is still a big question and potentially huge problem. Since there are additional dining options, I think the biggest risk is to the crowd at the Dig Site.

Top Bottom