News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

surfsupdon

I just realized why this looks so prision like, no balconies. That is the one thing we really enjoy in a deluxe stay.
Agree. Very much missing balconies.

I always say, from experience, that rooms that don’t open up to the outside (either from a balcony or front common area) usually smell. I want that fresh air in my room!

mitchk

Today

Not sure if this has been answered already but is the walkway near the new restaurant open to the public for easier access to the main building or is it still only the walkway from Cabanas to Main building?

eddie104

Photo update as of Thursday, January 31, 2019.

View attachment 346576

The enclosed, air conditioned connector framework as seen from the original Coronado Springs check-in lobby windows. The construction scrim had fallen down and the connector is visible here, where it will connect with the current lobby.

View attachment 346577

I apologize in advance if the following have been posted previously. In the Coronado Springs lobby there is a video of artists' concept pictures of the new tower and surrounding landscaping. I only present a few of the views shown, there are others.

View attachment 346578

View attachment 346579

View attachment 346580

View attachment 346581

View attachment 346583

View attachment 346584
Is it me or does this not look as bad as people are making it out to be ???

WDW Monorail

Is it me or does this not look as bad as people are making it out to be ???

I’m excited to see it complete and open. Unfortunately, I don’t have the luxury of planning visits months in advance so hopefully the high number of suites will be advantageous to mee since it is always difficult to find suites at the deluxe resorts on such short notice.

Bocabear

I don't think anyone is making it out to be terrible...it certainly seems to have a lot more style than the Riviera Resort, though it is missing balconies... Always difficult to make that lep when you have a campus of low building since it's inception, and then add a gigantic tower...especially when space is not an issue....
But other than that, it looks fine...

Magic Feather

Not sure if this has been answered already but is the walkway near the new restaurant open to the public for easier access to the main building or is it still only the walkway from Cabanas to Main building?
All three bridges will be guest accessible. The restaurant is located at the meeting point of the three bridges, but it does not block them. This will be especially helpful for guests going from Casitas to the Pool or former lobby/convention space. The general thought is that post-renovation the tower will be the primary convention hotels space followed by the Casitas. Meanwhile, the Ranchos(?) and Cabanas will be primarily intended for parks guests.

Nextinline

It admittedly looks better than I expected. However, there are three huge elements that are still troubling:
  1. The scale of the resort. If this tower was 50-70% of its current size it would fit in with the surrounding area. When you see how puny El Centro looks in comparison, it takes away from the entire resort IMO. Granted, I haven't seen it in person since 2017.
  2. The theme still isn't correct. The interiors are far too modern and generic to put this on par with the rest of the resort. The overall styling still isn't many (if any) steps away from a chain resort hotel.
  3. The impact of the increased number of guests at the resort is still a big question and potentially huge problem. Since there are additional dining options, I think the biggest risk is to the crowd at the Dig Site.

All three bridges will be guest accessible. The restaurant is located at the meeting point of the three bridges, but it does not block them. This will be especially helpful for guests going from Casitas to the Pool or former lobby/convention space. The general thought is that post-renovation the tower will be the primary convention hotels space followed by the Casitas. Meanwhile, the Ranchos(?) and Cabanas will be primarily intended for parks guests.

Maybe I should have worded my question differently.....I know that they WILL be accessible but are they accessible NOW? THANKS!

BigThunderMatt

I don't think anyone is making it out to be terrible...it certainly seems to have a lot more style than the Riviera Resort, though it is missing balconies... Always difficult to make that lep when you have a campus of low building since it's inception, and then add a gigantic tower...especially when space is not an issue....
But other than that, it looks fine...

I mean, technically because the existing rooms are exterior entry, none of them have balconies anyway. It always confused me when people were so adamant about the view from their room and I'm like "How much time are you REALLY going to spend with your curtains open looking out the window while literally anybody that walks by can see into your room?"

IMDREW

Have they also expanded/built a new pool? Surely the old one can't handle so many more guests with this new tower right?

Nextinline

Have they also expanded/built a new pool? Surely the old one can't handle so many more guests with this new tower right?
No new pool. Dig Site had a refurb recently, but with no increase to capacity.

This is definitely a big concern. Even conventioneers are just as likely to use the pool as any other resort amenities.

Magic Feather

While it is purely anecdotal, I have never seen the Dig Site Near Full. Even then, there are still the relief pools in every other section, so it should not be of great concern. I’m personally more concerned about a moderate having three (four if you count Rix) Table Service Restaurants, when it could barely support one (two w/ Rix).

wannabeBelle

While it is purely anecdotal, I have never seen the Dig Site Near Full. Even then, there are still the relief pools in every other section, so it should not be of great concern. I’m personally more concerned about a moderate having three (four if you count Rix) Table Service Restaurants, when it could barely support one (two w/ Rix).
A little off topic, but a question for you. A long time ago, I had asked why they stopped breakfast at the moderate sit down restaurants and was told that the restaurant didnt have a demand for breakfast. Obviously they never had breakfast at POR as that restaurant ALWAYS had a wait! As this was the restaurant I was talking to the manager of at the time, I told her that I had been eating breakfast at Boatwright's for many years and there was certainly a call for it. I can understand there not being a call for dinner ( or lunch for that matter) as people will be off in the parks and not want to come back to the resorts just for that, but breakfast was reasonably popular at all of the Mods. To cut that meal seems kind of foolish no? Marie

Magic Feather

A little off topic, but a question for you. A long time ago, I had asked why they stopped breakfast at the moderate sit down restaurants and was told that the restaurant didnt have a demand for breakfast. Obviously they never had breakfast at POR as that restaurant ALWAYS had a wait! As this was the restaurant I was talking to the manager of at the time, I told her that I had been eating breakfast at Boatwright's for many years and there was certainly a call for it. I can understand there not being a call for dinner ( or lunch for that matter) as people will be off in the parks and not want to come back to the resorts just for that, but breakfast was reasonably popular at all of the Mods. To cut that meal seems kind of foolish no? Marie
Short Term: Blame Budget Cuts.
Long Term becomes a little more interesting.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom