Cop

SHOBRO856

Original Poster
Does anyone know if the COP (Carousel of Progress) will be operating during Sept. 17-26. It always says it operates seasonal, but I'm not quite sure what that means. I really love this ride and we'll be taking our 3 year old for the first time and I'd really like him to see it. ( even if he might fall asleep:snore: ), so I guess I'm really asking for me.

tigsmom

I know that it will be open daily until AE is converted over to Stitch, but I'm not sure when it is scheduled to open (sometime in late 2004).
My kids love CoP and we always try to see it at least once during our trip. I find that the younger one likes it better than my oldest (9 & 15, respectivly).

Pixie Duster

For the past two months there has been a gash in the screen of the left sceen I think during the 50's set. It looks horendous and they have yet to fix it, I see this as a sign of things to come for our beloved CoP.

General Grizz

Originally posted by Pixie Duster
For the past two months there has been a gash in the screen of the left sceen I think during the 50's set. It looks horendous and they have yet to fix it, I see this as a sign of things to come for our beloved CoP.

It is horrible. . . and if it were my way, they would redo the sound system, rebuild it, update the animatronics to latest technologies, etc.

But will Disney pay for it? They're not even willing to touch the screen.

Expo_Seeker40

The CoP should only close for a major overhaul like IASW. They should expand on it, make the entire 20th century [1900,1920,1940,1960,1980,2000], add a bonus scene "tomorrow", and that we have a focus on a specific time period, and a scene that can always update ensuring a "beautiful tomorrow". *COUGH* it's 40 years old and screaming for help. We need a new carousel, updated audio, lighting, and AA's desperatly! How horrible to think that the carousel stops on a weekly basis!

General Grizz

I think we should still stick with four scenes. . . otherwise, each scene will be miserably short (because the show is long enough as it is).

I would vote for 1890/1928/1960/2020.

Oh crap. The 1940s scene is my favorite! :lol:

Expo_Seeker40

No, they could do that many scenes in 45 minutes. It wouldn't even be as long as Ellen's Energy Adventure, but they should would have to advertise it as a long ride. The problem is with only four scenes , you then have a serious Gap. I mean the first scene is no longer in 1890, but in 1904 when Father mentions the ST. Louis World's Fair, and then we go to 1920, then 1940, then skip right on over to an outdated vision of 2000. I just have to go with the more the better. Each scene could about 4-5 minutes long, like it is now.

So you figure at the most: 1900, 1920, 1940, 1960, 1980, 2000, and "tomorrow", then the two identical enter and exit theaters, gives you a total of 9 sets, each 5 minutes long at the most, which is of course 45 minutes.

BTW: Fourth Of July 1920 is my favorite scene. I would have voted for Christmas 1960, but that's not there anymore.:p

General Grizz

Originally posted by Expo_Seeker40
No, they could do that many scenes in 45 minutes.

That's the thing. Guests don't really care for 45 minute-long attractions unless their comedic. As much as I stay in CoP for hours at a time some days, I just don't think it would be as succesful.

Okay, how about a larger CoP theater to be built (it would have to be rebuilt somehow, somewhere) with 1890, 1920, 1950, 1980, and 2020 with a slightly shorter segment per scene?

imamouse

Is CoP a stand-up viewing, or ride through? About how long is the presentation? It's always closed when I go to WDW every Oct, but I'm leaving in the morning :sohappy: so I'm looking forward to finally seeing CoP.

General Grizz

Carousel of Progress is approx. a 22 minute sit-down, rotating theatre show. It's a Disney classic, but Disney is not willing to invest in maintenence, which is SHAMEFUL, especially since Disneyland's 50th is coming up.

Yeah. Motor Stunt Show. GREAT way to celebrate. :lookaroun

At least it's open.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Originally posted by General Grizz
Yeah. Motor Stunt Show. GREAT way to celebrate. :lookaroun

Ah... another upbeat, happy post from 'Captain Negative'! :sohappy: :wave:

General Grizz

Originally posted by DMC-12
Ah... another upbeat, happy post from 'Captain Negative'! :sohappy: :wave:

Why don't you go find 'Captain Positive' at some inspiring threads (i.e. IASW)? :confused:

I was simply making a point that Disney is letting the classics die. It's a Small World will have a GREAT rehab, but there's no indication that Disney will FIX CoP, but rather let it lie in dust for half the year once Stitch closes. Don't you remember that CoP was Walt Disney's favorite? That's what I meant by the "Celebration."

speck76

I rode CoP yesterday (5/7)...I did not notice any slashes in screens but I did notice in the 50's room that you could really notice when the scenes behind the screens rotated.

My theater section was about 95% full, hopefully that is a good sign.

General Grizz

Originally posted by speck76
I rode CoP yesterday (5/7)...I did not notice any slashes in screens but I did notice in the 50's room that you could really notice when the scenes behind the screens rotated.

My theater section was about 95% full, hopefully that is a good sign.

That *is* a good sign! Even half a theater isn't bad (considering that a new one loads just a few minutes after. I DOUBT this would change drastically once Stitch opens. And that's what ticks me about Disney.

Here's the slash:

P1010037.jpg

Expo_Seeker40

I know what you're talking about Speck, I too was surprised to see the scrims rotate, and to make that noise, I guess I forgot about it. Reguardless, I think we all can agree that the CoP does need improvements, but it is my belief that the CoP would do much better if it were at Epcot, and was expanded and more evenly layed out, and finding a sponsor wouldn't be a bad idea. What about Florida's "Progress Electric" company, could there be any more of a coinsidence?

Attendance for the CoP has increased very nicely since it has been opened everyday, and now for the entire park hours. It just is obvious that the ride is not at all in the best shape, and it should be fixed up, I mean they are fixing IASW, and that's not even the original 1964 one, it probably is due to the fact that it is far more popular and well known than the CoP, and I don't think the CoP location in tomorrowland really helps either.

speck76

I did not notice such a slash.

I think they should move CoP to Epcot, as they could fit a few great attractions suited more for MK in the area currently used by CoP, the old Skyway station, and the outdoor theater that has no shade.

General Grizz

The thing is. . . where would it fit at EPCOT? If Mission Space had moved to one side or the other, there would have probably been room. . . and now that the area behind the Land is taken up, there is less space to work with.

I had a crazy idea of fitting it between Innoventions as kind of being the "hallmark center" of EPCOT. Guests would enter a preshow with dreams of yesteryear (i.e. Verne), go into the remastered CoP, and than go into the promise of tomorrow. Gigantic new experiences, exhibits, walk through planetariums - who knows, scenes from Horizons?, a gigantic future city, and "Communicore squared." Small attractions like "Timekeeper" would be on hand as part of a post-show.

With today's techonology, this would be Walt Disney's dream and a real crowd pleaser, as well as a new and freshened "value" to Epcot.

THAT is a great 50th anniversary present, don't you think so?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom