CoP voices?

jeopardyfish

I think I'd favor the possibility of restoring it to the 1964 configuration.

An interesting idea for replacing the final scene, though, might go something like this:

1) Hire voice actors to replicate the current voices.

2) Dress the characters in the final scene in classic clothing that could fit in 1950 or 2050: Crisp shirt, a fine suit, a classy dress.

3) Incorporate video screens into the background of the scene while retaining physical props.

4) Change the script as follows: Begin the final, fourth scene sometime around 1964, and mention the World's Fair in NYC. Then, slowly and smoothly change the video screens in the background to show the house and neighborhood as it might look in 1980, then 2000, then bring it into the future of 2020, then 2050. The actual physical props on stage—the appliances, the photographs, the electronics—with a little Imagineering trickery, could be replaced with newer technology as the scene progresses. For example, when a character on one side of the stage is speaking, switch out a prop on the opposite side of the stage. Stage magicians use a similar form of distraction to accentuate their trickery. They will overemphasize a certain gesture to distract you from a more important, but less pronounced, gesture that is essential to the magic trick. Little by little the appliances and general look and feel of the house will change from 1964 to 2050.

5) The result is a dynamic scene that pays homage to the original 1964 configuration while postulating a future based on the present. Video screens, which form the windows of the house, could show Boeing 747s in the sky... then as the scene progresses, the Boeing 747s give way to space shuttle blastoffs, then advanced Concorde-style aircraft and even Virgin Galactic-style spacecraft. The rotary phone could be magically transformed into a desktop computer, then a holographic sort of computer that projects an image onto dead air. The house will magically progress before your very eyes in a dynamic, organic, futuristic, and historically sensitive way. Every once in a while a character will mention that time flies so fast while you're having fun—that it's now 1980, now 2000—wow, where did the time go?—now 2020, and already 2050! Welcome to the Future!
I think these ideas are great! I think the first three scenes are timeless, and the fourth scene is what really dates the show and makes it less accessible to many younger guests. I feel that only the fourth scene needs to be redone; I don't really care how, but I think this is the best idea I've yet heard. If this idea were to be used, what's being projected onto the screen could change periodically to keep it really modern. In the end, I really have to say (with a grain of salt) that as long as they keep the spirit (and preferably the first three scenes) of the ride, I'm just glad it might be getting a refurb, which indicates to me that it really has longevity in the ideas of TPTB.

Jasonflz

Original Poster
Eh...BBBT is SO much better, but there is nice nostagic value in NITBT.

What I don't like is that they are saying riding the ride is the best time of your life. Not when you have kids. Not when you get married. No, just when you ride the ride. It's like they are forcibly telling you that this is the best time of your life.

Dey gettin' up in my grille.

EPCOT Explorer

What I don't like is that they are saying riding the ride is the best time of your life. Not when you have kids. Not when you get married. No, just when you ride the ride. It's like they are forcibly telling you that this is the best time of your life.

Dey gettin' up in my grille.

Yeah, I wondered about that, too!

AshaNeOmah

I've actually given this tons of thought over the past few years. First of all there are actually six 'scenes' in the carousel. Loading, 1900, 1920, 1940, 2000, Unloading. First things first: combining loading and unloading to one scene. That would free a scene to be applied to a new era.

Keep the patriotic theme and name it The Carousel of Progress: The American Century or The Carousel of Progress: America in the 20th Century. Expand the dialog in the existing scenes so that loading/unloading can have more time to occur. In place of the current 2000 scene add the 1970's. In place of the Unloading scene add New Year's Eve 1999. Therefore your six scenes are.

Loading/Unloading
1900 - Turn of the Century
1920 - Roaring 20's
1940 - The War Years
1970 - Growing Influence/Rise of Personal Technology
1999 - Into Tomorrow

The exterior loading/unloading platforms would need to be redesigned but these changes would make the ride semi-timeless. A presentation of life throughout 20th century America: The American Century.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom