COP/TimeKeep trip report on 12.29.01

orlpassholder

Original Poster
The trip was very nice. Since it was my birthday etc... Anyways the news. I rode COP twice once with the video camera (gonna have to reshoot the whole thing the CM came on the over head and said no video blah blah) I was in the back row middle seat section the crowd was very much into the show, and also the theater I would say was almost 85% filled. The second time I rode it I took digital pictures(up front row ceneter seat no flash of course) Some of the pics turned out good I will probably retake them again. The ride did not stop during my two rides. Though on the second trip I heard 2 cell phones (rude people) and 1 baby (no ones fault there just a baby :) )

Next stop Time Keeper. Ok the ride was great not as full as I would have liked it BUT here is where the day had a sorrow note. The CM busted me for filming the show with like 5 minutes left. He was very rude in fact saying outloud to where other guests heard "Sir I know your recording turn it off" I can not see WHY I cant film One screen of the show (since it is 360 circle vision) Anyways Time Keeper was ok But with the crowd being so small I doubt it will last. One positive about both rides being open is the fact you can see where the people filled these rides while waiting for Buzz, Alien, and Space Mountain.

Anyways I left then and meet friends and filmed allot of Epcot including the entire show of American Adventure (45+ mins whew long time with the ol cam) Anyways I had fun hope everyone has a safe and wonderful New Years, and I am gonna try and make it back Tuesday to refilm the Carosel (this time I will ask the CM and tell I wont be in anyways way or use external light just PLEASE DONT COME ON THE OVER HEAD) and I am gonna record timekepper again I figured a way around it ;) I will let everyone know.

James123

Account Suspended
Why break the rules?

If they tell you not to video tape a ride, why can't you obey? To some of us, you are just as rude with your camera as the folks with cell phones that go off. People using cameras in a show OFTEN jockey around for position so they can get the "best shot". Those visitors behind the camera jockey end up having to watch the glow of a viewfinder as they attempt to watch the show. WDW needs to stop you guys!:mad:

orlpassholder

Original Poster
for one my viewfinder i turn my view finder off. Second I do not jockey for position at all Simple small movements work. They made cameras to enjoy and record memories. I am not arguing with you that some people do go the extreme on taping and or flash photos. But I would consider my video taping mild to low compared to the cell phones, walkie talkies, and flash photos during rides, and shows. Just my 2 cents.

General Grizz

Re: Why break the rules?

Originally posted by James
If they tell you not to video tape a ride, why can't you obey? To some of us, you are just as rude with your camera as the folks with cell phones that go off. People using cameras in a show OFTEN jockey around for position so they can get the "best shot". Those visitors behind the camera jockey end up having to watch the glow of a viewfinder as they attempt to watch the show. WDW needs to stop you guys!:mad:

Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. And sometime's it's their fault!

OKAY, we can go in and here "no video recording!" So we don't. Fine. Yet, we don't KNOW the reason.

FOR EXAMPUUUUUL....

You hear a CM at Country Bear Jamboree say 'No flash photography until the very end!' So I take NON-flash photos and then pop up the flash button when Henry comes out on stage 5.

You hear a CM say "no video recording"...so you don't videorecord? The REASON you are not "supposed" to video record is this - external lighting. Just like flash photography. They don't like to see people with those lights on in a darker attraction.

For EXAMPUUUUUUL....

At CoP in our last visit a CM said "no flashing - or flash photography. If you are videotaping, please do not use external lights." I later asked this fellow and he said that this was the reason why. Many CMs are very uninformed. CMs think that CBJ will stop if a flash photo is taken in the middle of the show due to some radioactivity thing, but the cause of this was taken away in the eighties. However, one time (and this time there was no one in the theater), they let me use flash photography anywhere I wanted. HOWEVER...the next year, I came in and they didn't even let me use NON-FLASH photography until the very end...when NO ONE WAS IN THE THEATER! So that's another reason why..

Also, if you're taking photos or videos (mind you, with a camera that doesn't make noise), it doesn't make any difference. It is in your space and is not distracting at all. Now flash photography...that's different, of course.

And...if NONE of these reasons are correct, Disney should come out with some videos of the attraction. After all, CoP is endangered and has been closed. And you can't help not recording if this is the last time you might ever see it.

In the Country Bear Playhouse, the final performance, EVERYONE took flash photography. The room was practically lighted due to the flashes every second.

What's REALLY bad is people TALKING...like a couple who sat right in front of me in CoP..."blah blah blah...yeah...that's right Susan...maybe we can go to Alien Encounter after that....blah blah...."

So we have to know the real reason first. And that's distraction. So if you do everything w/o distraction, then it's perfectly fine.. It's the lack of knowlege from some CMs that make some trips unpleasant....and sometimes it is the visitors.....

So, if they MAKE you turn off the camera...then do so. If they don't, they don't because it isn't a distraction. Now that CM at Timekeeper...I know someone else who tried to video that show. Maybe they don't want their time machine contraption going into the public... ?? :hammer:

Oh, here's an interesting note: On my 3rd visit to CoP there was no CM to give the spiel! SO, after the spotlight was shining on no one, EVERYONE took flash photos! Funny, eh?

General Grizz

Originally posted by orlpassholder
for one my viewfinder i turn my view finder off. Second I do not jockey for position at all Simple small movements work. They made cameras to enjoy and record memories. I am not arguing with you that some people do go the extreme on taping and or flash photos. But I would consider my video taping mild to low compared to the cell phones, walkie talkies, and flash photos during rides, and shows. Just my 2 cents.

...as once heard in JII, 'Makin' Memories! Makin' Memories! TAKING PICUTRES IS Makin' Memories!" :lol:

orlpassholder

Original Poster
Grizzly I agree. I take so much into not disrubting other guest I have apiece of black eletrical tape that goes over the little red blinking light so theres no distraction there. I have the view finder light off if its a show if its a ride I have on very low light (I can bareley make out the view in it) I dont yack through shows or rides my pagers on vibrate. My digital camera I turn the display off and flash when I take pictures. You can not hear it save to the microdrive flash card...

"And...if NONE of these reasons are correct, Disney should come out with some videos of the attraction. After all, CoP is endangered and has been closed. And you can't help not recording if this is the last time you might ever see it. "

Exactly they should come out with their high res well edited version of the ride. I think what I might do is tell all the CM's I see at the front of which ever ride I am going to film that I use no external light etc and I will not be in anyones way So no need to come on the over head.

I am hoping tomorrow is a good run. I plan on redoing my video for MK since I only filmed those two rides. I plan on getting pretty much all of tomorrowlan (tomorrow excluding space mountain), then I wann get hall of presidents and the legend of the lion king before it goes. After that I dont care what I film :):D

General Grizz

Actually, I realize why people might not like Timekeeper to be recorded. People are looking all around (hence 360 degrees) and they may think you are recording them if you are facing the other direction. Plus, the video camera itself may be distracting...just a thought.

Just be polite when recording :) heh heh

orlpassholder

Original Poster
oh ya I am always polite. Actually in timekeeper I just filmed The TK character and the one screen behind him no one else and I wasnt going around in a circel trying to film the entire 360 degree. (WOULD MAKE YA DIZZY AND SICK) I just hope I do not run into problems (which I wont its The Happy Place on Earth:))

General Grizz

Originally posted by orlpassholder
oh ya I am always polite. Actually in timekeeper I just filmed The TK character and the one screen behind him no one else and I wasnt going around in a circel trying to film the entire 360 degree. (WOULD MAKE YA DIZZY AND SICK) I just hope I do not run into problems (which I wont its The Happy Place on Earth:))

Sorry, passholder, I didn't direct the polite comment to you...but just to add in general in recrodings.

orlpassholder

Original Poster
hehehe :) its ok no worries.... Hmmm I might start a thread about filming see what people used to get their best shots sound etc. Or that could be to much of the geek coming out in me :)

tmp

I cannot remember if COP has this, but I know the CBJ has it. I am referring to the screen in the back of the theater with the words for the hearing impaired. Any type of photography could hinder the enjoyment of a person who needs to use this screen.

orlpassholder

Original Poster
COP does not have this screen atleast I can not see it( I have seen the screen before at The Muppet 3d) The argument of filming and picture taking will never die I feel. But in my heart as long as I do not use external lighting/flash photos/tripod/half a billion wires for power/sound boom etc :) I think my little bit of filiming will not ruin the ride or experience for anyone in the ride.

The Mom

Premium Member
I fear this is another case of "We have this rule because we've always done it this way." It was a rule made back when video cameras were larger and more intrusive, and, unless you were a professional, it was next to impossible to take quality photos/videos in dark/low light situations. Things have changed, but the rules remain.

This happens everywhere. In nursing, it was hard to change some of the "rules" even though common sense said there could and should be exceptions...dads in the delivery room comes to mind, along with easing visiting hours and age restrictions ,physical activities, length of stay, etc.

For now, you're just dependent on running into CMS with a little common sense. ;)

General Grizz

Originally posted by tmp
I cannot remember if COP has this, but I know the CBJ has it. I am referring to the screen in the back of the theater with the words for the hearing impaired. Any type of photography could hinder the enjoyment of a person who needs to use this screen.

All of the shows that have the captioning have a symbol on the guidemaps. Yes, CoP has that symbol, but I believe that it is reffering to the closed captioning in TVs in the queue.

orlpassholder

Original Poster
very true I do remeber seeing the CC tv BUT no CC same thing when I went on Alien Encounter 2 weeks ago none of the CC TV's had CC

ToTBellHop

in response to the video taping. I was once behind someone videotaping Pirates of the Caribbean, so the whole ride all I could see was his glowing viewfinder because the ride itself is so dark. No external lighting, but it ed the hell outta me. If you absolutely must record something, have the courtosy to sit behind me.
Kyle

James123

Account Suspended
Photo Shoots

Orlpassholder, if everyone was as professional and courteous as you seem to be, photography at WDW would be no problem. I'm glad that you posted your concerns and you have some very good points. You recognize that using a camera can be a disturbance to other visitors. Unfortunately, most camera users at WDW are rank amateurs and they are often very obtrusive (flash, noisy camera shutters, bright view screens, tripods, gigantic equipment bags, infrared lights that disrupt rides, etc.). I think too that Marcia is right in saying that many of the photo rules at WDW were made years ago and do not take into account the more modern and less obtrusive equipment. I guess the real problem for WDW is that if they let one person film or photograph, then they are obliged to let everyone do the same. So, perhaps some new rules are in order. For example; "If you wish to film or photograph any attraction you may not use a camera that makes noise, you may not use lights (including infrared) and you must be in the back of the theater or the rear seat of any ride so as not to disturb other guests." Do you think this is reasonable? Of course, then WDW will have to employ a new "Photo Police" division.

ToTBellHop

that sounds quite reasonable to me...I just hate being behind people with massive cameras or having their viewfinders in my face...another example...Reflections of Earth...very annoying if you have your seat for an hour and when it starts a person in front busts out their camera

NowInc

I am sure you all realize this...BUT..the best times to go video taping these attractions is the offseason during a parade....the rides are EMPTY...BUT...obviously thats assumeing they are even OPEN..I know a LOT of people in my area who are mighty mad they didnt tape it when they had the chance with minimal disturbance and little or no croud noise....

However...i DO know someone who has timekeeper filmed from ALL angles (a total of 6 or 7 recordings)....and IF i can get him to agree...I'll rip them to mpg and make it yet another Premium Member Exclusive...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom