COP... tear down?

cococola44

Original Poster
I heard through a rumor mill that COP is being torn down at some point? I think I may be seriously crushed if it does... A serious refurbish or update, yes, but tear down? That classic? Walt just may roll around in his grave...

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I heard through a rumor mill that COP is being torn down at some point? I think I may be seriously crushed if it does... A serious refurbish or update, yes, but tear down? That classic? Walt just may roll around in his grave...

The shutting down of COP is one of the oldest and most persistent Disney rumors you will find on the net. Here are just some examples of the "COP moving to the Smithsonian" version of the rumor...

1/21/2009: "Rumor that I heard when I was at the park (from a guy who's cousin is a CM) is that they are moving the ENTIRE building to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC. Since it is a landmark building. "

1/31/2008: "While in line for SSE this past weekend, I overheard some people talking that next year they are dismantling the COP and moving it to the Smithsonian. The guy who said it claimed to be a cast member."

4/12/2007: "a friend of mine who is very much into keeping up on disney happeneing told me a few days ago that they're going to close carousel of progress and put it in the Smithsonian"

3/26/2007: "Also, unconfirmed rumors are circulating that Carousel of Progress will be entering the Smithsonian in 2009 along with the Enchanted Tiki Room but you didn't hear it from me."

5/11/2004: "Has anybody heard anything about Carousel of Progress being donated to the Smithsonian? It's probably just a rumor, but on the other hand, its something that I haven't heard before. "

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
The shutting down of COP is one of the oldest and most persistent Disney rumors you will find on the net. Here are just some examples of the "COP moving to the Smithsonian" version of the rumor...

1/21/2009: "Rumor that I heard when I was at the park (from a guy who's cousin is a CM) is that they are moving the ENTIRE building to the Smithsonian Museum in Washington, DC. Since it is a landmark building. "

1/31/2008: "While in line for SSE this past weekend, I overheard some people talking that next year they are dismantling the COP and moving it to the Smithsonian. The guy who said it claimed to be a cast member."

4/12/2007: "a friend of mine who is very much into keeping up on disney happeneing told me a few days ago that they're going to close carousel of progress and put it in the Smithsonian"

3/26/2007: "Also, unconfirmed rumors are circulating that Carousel of Progress will be entering the Smithsonian in 2009 along with the Enchanted Tiki Room but you didn't hear it from me."

5/11/2004: "Has anybody heard anything about Carousel of Progress being donated to the Smithsonian? It's probably just a rumor, but on the other hand, its something that I haven't heard before. "
I seem to recall I was going to owe someone an apology when they shipped the CoP off to the American History Smithsonian in 6 months. Of course, it's been several years so hopefully they weren't holding their breath....

Brad Bishop

If anything were to happen to it, I think it's far more likely that they'd just shut it down and remove the sign but leave everything (mainly the building) in place. Look at other attractions that has happened to:
- Rocket Rods
- WoL Pavilion
- Odyssey Restaurant
- Millennium Pavilion
- 20,000 Leagues (a good decade plus)
- SkyWay loading areas

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom