COP... tear down?

Goofyernmost

I disagree with you, respectfully. It isn't about forcasting. The last scene is meant to reflect the current era. "Investing" is merely changing clothes and the technology to what is current. This only needs to be done about every five years. We are talking about maybe $5000 in upgrades...tops. And this can be done in a day or two. "Obsolete within days of building" is not correct. They don't have to build anything. It's a simple manner of swapping out clothes, the TV, kitchen appliances, etc. The cost is nothing and it couldn't be simpler. No one needs to guess the future, as you say. It's common sense.
Unfortunately, that is not correct. The last scene was indeed supposed to reflect the future. Why would anyone need to see the present? We live that don't we? However, since there is such a time gap between that scene and the one before it is no longer able to try to jump to far ahead. They already updated the final scene once and there is no place to go with it. They have tried at least a couple of times to get rid of CoP completely and so far the backlash has stopped it. As a historic display it works just fine. It actually covers the 20th century and the advancements of that time so it does have a degree of legitimacy as it sits now. Further tinkering will just confuse the story. Keep it as it is as long as that allows us to just keep it! Make it a situation where it needs to be constantly updated and it will be total history, as in forgotten and gone.

UncleMike101

Unfortunately, that is not correct. The last scene was indeed supposed to reflect the future. Why would anyone need to see the present? We live that don't we? However, since there is such a time gap between that scene and the one before it is no longer able to try to jump to far ahead. They already updated the final scene once and there is no place to go with it. They have tried at least a couple of times to get rid of CoP completely and so far the backlash has stopped it. As a historic display it works just fine. It actually covers the 20th century and the advancements of that time so it does have a degree of legitimacy as it sits now. Further tinkering will just confuse the story. Keep it as it is as long as that allows us to just keep it! Make it a situation where it needs to be constantly updated and it will be total history, as in forgotten and gone.
Perhaps a small name change would solve the problem of dating the ride.
Something like. "The 20th Century's Carrousel Of Progress." (with the subtitle ) " A Journey Through the achievements of the last Century."
That would please those of us who grew up in that era and give the younger audience an insight into how the world they live in came to fruition.

Goofyernmost

Something like. "The 20th Century's Carrousel Of Progress." (with the subtitle ) " A Journey Through the achievements of the last Century."
That would please those of us who grew up in that era and give the younger audience an insight into how the world they live in came to fruition.
Not a bad idea actually! As old as I am, I didn't really have a clue as to what life was like in the early 1900's. My daughters couldn't relate to anything previous to 1980. It is important for people to get the picture of what life was like back then and just how much we have achieved since that time. We know what today is and nobody knows what tomorrow is going to be like because change happens so rapidly now. It didn't back then and didn't even when the show was created in the early 60's. It was much easier to envision what things would be like twenty years ahead then it is now.

jbeechuk

Was the final scene updated previously? I am not positive, but it was updated at least once before? I am asking because by your reasoning, it should never have gotten an updated final scene? It should have stayed the same as the very original one? I can't recall what the original scene had when it first opened. So you are upset then that it even has a 90s feel? I assume you want the 60's finale back? Because it should either have that, or be updated. But a 90s final act (even with a flat panel TV) seems very weird.

Captain Neo

Threads like these should result in instant ban unless the user can be verified. I've seen other websites in other industries (Video games, technology, etc.) implement this rule to great success so we don't have BS threads junking up the site.

Goofyernmost

Was the final scene updated previously? I am not positive, but it was updated at least once before? I am asking because by your reasoning, it should never have gotten an updated final scene? It should have stayed the same as the very original one? I can't recall what the original scene had when it first opened. So you are upset then that it even has a 90s feel? I assume you want the 60's finale back? Because it should either have that, or be updated. But a 90s final act (even with a flat panel TV) seems very weird.
Yes, it was updated and it was an attempt to do exactly what you are advocating. However, it didn't work. By the time it was designed and built almost everything in the scene was outdated. It became obvious that no one could keep up with technology anymore. The computer age was here and we were moving at warp speed.

It seems weird because we are expecting it to project into the future. It no longer can do that without completely ruining the story so the only way that it is logically going to survive is by being a "look at the 20th Century" and not attempting a failing attempt to show us what was ahead. I don't feel that it has to have the actually 80's theme original, but that in the late 90's they tried to update it and show the upcoming Century. It wasn't even close even if it had been opened in 2000. In fact the fact the it does more reflect the 90's is a stroke of luck to be able to keep it within that century. The 60's were not the end of the century and a lot of things happened in those 30 plus years.

My biggest concern is that if enough insistence that it be update continues it will give them the reason to level it. They've been looking for a good reason for years. They will no longer, at least in our lifetime, seriously attempt to predict the future except in Sci-FY form. We are only 16 years into the 21st century and that makes the past historical period close enough to be remember by many which is why it seems weird to us. Give it another 30 years and it will be a very interesting contrast between this century and the last one. So it's good for the next 100 years as is, just redefined, not changed story wise, only the definition of what it is trying to identify.

adam.adbe

Such an ending allows for a few jokes that kids will get too. It'd be easy to have the old man speculate on "how things have changed over the last century" and what things we might have in a century's time, while ticking off things we either already have today, or are only a few years out from having.

UncleMike101

Such an ending allows for a few jokes that kids will get too. It'd be easy to have the old man speculate on "how things have changed over the last century" and what things we might have in a century's time, while ticking off things we either already have today, or are only a few years out from having.
Sounds like a winner.
Now who do we contact to get the project moving? :joyfull:

The Empress Lilly

'Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress'.

That dates it. Then they can also solve the last act problem, by keeping it the 1960's future forever. That then makes it blend in seamlessly with the 1971 Tomorrowland all around you, as the logical follow-up to CoP. (If those Philistines wouldn't have ruined TL for Toontown Sci-fi Land, that is)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom